Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle sleeper hit for the Switch?

Sep 12 at 7:59:28 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I think people didn't know what to make of this because I didn't see much hype for this release.  It is a turn based tactics game, pretty much Xcom but with Mario and Rabbid characters.  It is a blast.

I'm surprised by how much content there is in this game.  I'm only past the second world, but I have been going back to tackle most of the challenges and special courses.  Sunk a good amount of time into this.

What characters is everyone rolling with?  It seems Rabbid Luigi and Luigi are pretty ace.  I just got Rabbid Mario and Peach and running with the two shotgunners is fun.

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 09:07 AM by fox

Sep 12 at 8:03:41 AM
jonebone (527)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Yes, my sleeper hit of the year for sure. I had zero interest in it when it was announced, didn't pre-order and had never played a Rabbids game.

Saw it got good reviews and decided to check it out since I wasn't actively playing much. I'm about the same spot as you, early in World 3. Game is every bit of a 9/10 IMO, very addictive and I've had a lot of fun with it so far. I've been using Mario, Rabbid Peach and Luigi for most of my adventure.

-------------------------
WTB Sealed & CIB Mint Games!
NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16

Now Playing: Mario Rabbids Kingdom (Switch)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 12 at 8:08:10 AM
Gutling (119)

< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I am a mission away from beating it, ive stopped and gone back to do all the challenges/gold medals. 100% world 1 and 2, and working on 3 now. I have been using mario/rabbid luigi/peach for almost whole game. rabbid luigi everything he does gives vampire so he is always full health, and peach health jump is upgraded and keeps everyone topped off. Love the game, really hope they have more in the future

Sep 12 at 8:14:56 AM
ZeldaFreak (34)
(Conor ) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
I think this really says a lot, honestly. They made a RABBIDS game actually really good... we must be living in some kind of parallel universe, where Rabbids games are actually good...

My WTB/WTTF Thread, currently looking for N64 Not For Resales: http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Former NES Sharp TV Owner.

Sep 12 at 9:07:13 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (255)
(Brian P.) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I bought it because my kids saw ads and wanted it. I've played it a bit with my boy, but he is 4 so we haven't gotten very far.

Sep 12 at 10:36:46 AM
Rocky (11)
(Rocky ) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Originally posted by: ZeldaFreak

I think this really says a lot, honestly. They made a RABBIDS game actually really good... we must be living in some kind of parallel universe, where Rabbids games are actually good...

Hey hey the first Rabbids game on the Wii with Rayman was a really fun party game.   After that not so much....

Sep 12 at 6:14:07 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I thought it was over hyped a bit, but looks interesting. EB Games had posters plastered all over the place and it seemed like everyone on Twitch was playing it 2 weeks ago.

Sep 12 at 10:03:03 PM
Loxx O))) (11)
(Fat Man Kraid) < King Solomon >
Washington
I was interested in trying Xcom back when the reboot came out a few years ago. Since, I've lost interest. Probably the whole kids and little free time thing. Way too much investment it seems like. I need pick up and play games these days.

Watched The Completionist episode on it and it didn't interest me at all. Maybe one day down the line... but I just can't see myself caring about this game at all and I desperately want to care about Switch games.

Edited: 09/12/2017 at 10:03 PM by Loxx O)))

Sep 12 at 11:19:56 PM
D~Funk (72)
(David Qualls) < Bowser >
Oregon
Game is rad! I believed in it from the start!  

Tap To Expand

Sep 12 at 11:58:22 PM
Yelir (27)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
I'm actually interested in picking this up when I have my Switch, but I'll wait to find it used. The Rabbids property is pretty tacky, and I'm wondering if the Mario IP really adds anything to this particular title? What do the guys who own this think?

Sep 13 at 12:06:30 AM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
I have to be honest, when I first saw the adverts for this game and saw "Rabbids", I immediately lost interest. However, when I heard that it was an XCOM-style, turn-based strategy game and saw some of the positive reviews, I found myself intrigued. Sure, I don't much care for the Rabbids but if the game play is good, I'm willing to let my bias go. Of course, I'd need to buy a Switch first...so it may be a while before I get to it.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U), Friday the 13th (PC)
‚ÄčLast Beaten: Super Mario Land 2 (GB)

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 12:06 AM by Webhead123

Sep 13 at 12:07:00 AM
D~Funk (72)
Oregon
Its great! I never liked Rabbids games but the they actually are pretty fun in this game, Rabbid Peach cracks me up!   the gameplay is solid! Really the only good Rabbids games! Hopein it sells well enough to get a sequel! In the last world and have most everything else completed in the other worlds!

Tap To Expand

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 12:08 AM by D~Funk

Sep 13 at 12:25:20 AM
MrWunderful (260)
(AKA MrWarmonger ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Not a sleeper per say, but super fun. Beat it in a week playing an hour or two a day.

Mario, rabbid peach and rabbid yoshi were my jam.
Graphics and details were killer, really top notch.

The decent amount of humor was really welcome too, like the bullet bill with his face stuck in the underwear makes me laugh inside thinking about it.

Sep 13 at 12:34:02 AM
gunpei (6)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Was Super Mario RPG a sleeper hit?
I can't see that applying to anything featuring the company's flagship franchise, crossover or not.

Sep 13 at 9:07:02 AM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Using Peach a bit more.  Seems to have a good mix of different abilities (heal jumps, nades, overwatch, shields, shotgun.)

Originally posted by: Yelir

I'm actually interested in picking this up when I have my Switch, but I'll wait to find it used. The Rabbids property is pretty tacky, and I'm wondering if the Mario IP really adds anything to this particular title? What do the guys who own this think?
From the previews, most people either didn't know what to make of it or dismissed it altogether because of the inclusion of the Rabbids.  There wasn't even a thread on the game.

The Mario crew add a lot of charm and personality.  The mushroom kingdom looks great and there are many fun references to the Mario series such as the DK boss battle.  There isn't much in terms of story, but a little bit goes a long way and it is very well written.

The Rabbids themselves don't really do much for me but Beep-O is hilarious. He adds some great sarcastic commentary on the stages and events.  I chuckled when he questioned having to chase Toad and Toadette around after the two decided to play hide and seek in a graveyard as one of the side quests.

Sep 13 at 2:02:27 PM
Quaze (97)
(Jordan C.) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: fox

Using Peach a bit more.  Seems to have a good mix of different abilities (heal jumps, nades, overwatch, shields, shotgun.)

Originally posted by: Yelir

From the previews, most people either didn't know what to make of it or dismissed it altogether because of the inclusion of the Rabbids.  There wasn't even a thread on the game.

The Mario crew add a lot of charm and personality.  The mushroom kingdom looks great and there are many fun references to the Mario series such as the DK boss battle.  There isn't much in terms of story, but a little bit goes a long way and it is very well written.

The Rabbids themselves don't really do much for me but Beep-O is hilarious. He adds some great sarcastic commentary on the stages and events.  I chuckled when he questioned having to chase Toad and Toadette around after the two decided to play hide and seek in a graveyard as one of the side quests.

Still kind of a needless crossover if you ask me, and one that the Rabbids franchise hasn't earned at all. This to me seems akin to a crossover between Bubsy/Mario or Gex/Mario, just..."why?". I would very strongly prefer if this were an exclusively Mario-IP-themed title. Even after playing and enjoying the game, the inclusion of the Rabbids IP is puzzling to me. It wasn't at all necessary to make this title great, and in fact detracted from how great the title could have been in my opinion. If it's an 8.5 as is, I think it would've been a 9.5 if it was based solely in the Mario universe.

Sarcastic-sounding but honest and legit question: Does anyone here (aside from the Rabbids inclusion in this game) enjoy the Rabbids games at all? Are there any Rabbids fans in the crowd, again not considering this game? I'm wondering whose idea this was, what boardroom full of executives approved it, and how Nintendo saw it as beneficial to them in any way? Is it because Nintendo didn't have to put any effort into developing the game, and just received heavy royalties and a "free" Mario game to release out of the deal? Ubisoft must've been popping bottles of champagne when the collaboration was first confirmed.

My eBay feedback

Edited: 09/13/2017 at 02:03 PM by Quaze

Sep 13 at 3:41:44 PM
D~Funk (72)
Oregon
^^^ i think you nailed it, totally because ubisoft produced the game and nintendo didnt have to do much to get another mario game on switch quick like. And no, i dont think there are.any true Rabbids fans   im glad they made the game tho amd hope to see it become a series as i really enjoy it but it really could of been any franchise + Mario, Rabbids is just Ubisofts thing. Rayman probably would of been a better choice but that also seems like a strange crossover. A straight Mario SRPG woulda been rad but im happy this was made at all and think Ubisoft did a great job with it, Rabbids and all.

Tap To Expand

Sep 13 at 4:28:47 PM
Quaze (97)
British Columbia
Originally posted by: D~Funk

^^^ i think you nailed it, totally because ubisoft produced the game and nintendo didnt have to do much to get another mario game on switch quick like. And no, i dont think there are.any true Rabbids fans   im glad they made the game tho amd hope to see it become a series as i really enjoy it but it really could of been any franchise + Mario, Rabbids is just Ubisofts thing. Rayman probably would of been a better choice but that also seems like a strange crossover. A straight Mario SRPG woulda been rad but im happy this was made at all and think Ubisoft did a great job with it, Rabbids and all.

Troof

My eBay feedback

Sep 13 at 8:45:06 PM
Loxx O))) (11)
(Fat Man Kraid) < King Solomon >
Washington
I just have to ask, Quaze... why would it being solely Mario IP raise the score a full point if the gameplay was the same? Like I mentioned, I haven't played the game so I'm just curious why you have that opinion.

Sep 18 at 7:36:35 PM
pacowles (3)
(Phillip C) < Crack Trooper >
North Carolina
I've enjoyed previous rabbids games from the Wii era. Surprised to see so much hate for the franchise with the release of the mario crossover. I've played a few hours of M+R kingdom battle and it's probably my second favorite game on the switch, second only to BOTW. Definitely has the polish of a Nintendo first party title, and I think it will pleasantly surprise anyone who's skeptical of the crossover (which I was). Of course, this assumes you enjoy tactical/turn-based gameplay. It's pretty clear that the developers are huge mario/nintendo fans and treated the game as a passion project rather than a cash-in.

Sep 19 at 10:52:23 AM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Looks really fun, but not enough to pay full retail price (very few games are these days). Probably pick it up down the line. Regardless of how fun it is I still think the Rabbids IP is really dumb although I am pretty forgiving about stuff like that as long as the game plays well, which it looks like it does.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 20 at 10:33:14 AM
Quaze (97)
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

I just have to ask, Quaze... why would it being solely Mario IP raise the score a full point if the gameplay was the same? Like I mentioned, I haven't played the game so I'm just curious why you have that opinion.

The story could've been made more comprehensive and more enjoyable, they could've really expanded on gameplay mechanics/weapons/suits/characters borrowed from classic Mario games instead of designing many story/gameplay aspects around the Rabbids IP...In a nutshell every "Rabbids" aspect of the game could've been improved if replaced with "Mario" aspects. This is all in my opinion only, you may like Rabbids way more than Mario, and your mileage would vary wildly here. To me it doesn't really feel like a Mario game, it feels like a Mario "skin" over a more generic game, which is basically what it is. I feel like I would've enjoyed it a "point" more if Rabbids just weren't included in this game (or any game ever again lol). That 1 point is of course arbitrary, that's just an easy measure to say I believe it would've been a better game all-around. I hate seeing Peach with a Rabbids face, that just makes my soul cringe.

My eBay feedback

Sep 20 at 10:40:54 AM
Quaze (97)
British Columbia
Originally posted by: pacowles

I've enjoyed previous rabbids games from the Wii era. Surprised to see so much hate for the franchise with the release of the mario crossover. I've played a few hours of M+R kingdom battle and it's probably my second favorite game on the switch, second only to BOTW. Definitely has the polish of a Nintendo first party title, and I think it will pleasantly surprise anyone who's skeptical of the crossover (which I was). Of course, this assumes you enjoy tactical/turn-based gameplay. It's pretty clear that the developers are huge mario/nintendo fans and treated the game as a passion project rather than a cash-in.

Definitely a great effort by Ubisoft, not taking anything away from them here, they did a great job on the game and managed to do a lot of justice to the Mario franchise, which to me is the highest compliment I can give with regard to developing a video game. I just really dislike the Rabbids franchise. I think it's the worst running series in all of video gaming.

My eBay feedback

Sep 20 at 1:10:21 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopa Troopa) < Meka Chicken >
Canada
I thought raving rabbids 2 on the Wii was fun, probably the best mini-game was the stacked dish-balancing one. Rabbids go home was very silly, I think it had quite a bit of charm to it. Other than that, I haven't played much for rabbids games. I don't own a switch so I can't give an opinion on mario+rabbids kingdom battle, maybe it's just fine.

As for the IP crossover, I don't see how it's entirely out of place. The first Rabbids game was for quite some time a Wii exclusive and most of the later rabbids games were on Nintendo platforms. Rabbids always struck me as a Nintendo series, mainly because kids love Nintendo (presumably) and rabbids is kid-oriented. I don't see how the crossover is out of place. Maybe Nintendo is trying to appeal to kids?

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Sep 20 at 3:05:25 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (151)
(Jason Fleck) < El Ripper >
Missouri
I've been enjoying it so far. I don't know if I will play it till the end or not, but I've been having fun with it. I'm not usually a fan of Strategy RPG games.

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."