Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What are some NES games that only you like?

Jul 17 at 10:16:04 AM
SUBSCRIBER
arnpoly (93)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I'll maintain that Super Spy Hunter is the best NES game that no one talks about. I haven't played much of it but I look forward to getting into it more.

Ghoul School is another one no one talks about. Even though it is kinda crummy, I really enjoyed playing through it last year.

I just finished American Gladiators and even though it has some issues I like it.

-------------------------
Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 66
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #67 - Rambo
Latest Post - 12/5/17 - #59 - Ninja Gaiden
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Jul 17 at 10:28:57 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: arnpoly

I'll maintain that Super Spy Hunter is the best NES game that no one talks about. I haven't played much of it but I look forward to getting into it more.

Ghoul School is another one no one talks about. Even though it is kinda crummy, I really enjoyed playing through it last year.

I just finished American Gladiators and even though it has some issues I like it.

I've seen Super Spy Hunter gameplay on Youtube and it looks like fun. The only thing is that it doesn't keep score so we can't play it in the contests unfortunately.

World Polybius champion.

Jul 17 at 10:44:04 AM
sadikyo (80)
(Sadik Yo) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I was going to say Dynowarz also, haha. But the fact that several have mentioned it tells me it isn't as disliked or ignored as much as I maybe thought.

Another game I like is Captain Skyhawk. I don't know if that qualifies for this either, but I don't really see much discussion on it and I loved this game as a kid.

I find that nostalgia plays a heavy role in this sort of thing. Nothing wrong with that, but I think the above both standout to me more than usual, because of nostalgia and playing them so much growing up.

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Jul 17 at 10:51:48 AM
Loxx O))) (11)
(Fat Man Kraid) < King Solomon >
Washington
I guess one that I see a lot of undeserved hate for is A Nightmare on Elm Street. Everyone talks about how Friday the 13th is a good game, but I don't really see the same type of love for Nightmare. I feel like it's a really quality platformer and it just gets overlooked as a shitty LJN movie game.

Jul 17 at 11:50:51 AM
littlesamson (9)
(Bobby Hash) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: Gloves

Not a lot of people are big on Totally Rad, but I love the shit out of it.

Hell yes on Totally Rad.

One I've always loved and never find much of anyone that appreciates it as well is Nobunaga's Ambition.  Played so much of that one growing up!

One day.. I shall complete my NES collection.

607/768 carts

Edited: 07/17/2017 at 11:51 AM by littlesamson

Jul 17 at 11:55:42 AM
mgullette (0)
(Mike Gullette) < Little Mac >
Indiana
Sky Shark. I have gone back to this game on numerous occasions.

Jul 17 at 11:58:41 AM
Loxx O))) (11)
Washington
Oh, I thought of another one. I very rarely even see Battle of Olympus mentioned but it's a nifty little game. Fans of Zelda II should love that one as well. It's basically the same game without the over world segments.

Jul 17 at 12:23:11 PM
BriGuy82 (23)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
High Speed is one of my favorites. I picked it up out of a video rental stores clearance bin when I was like 10. I liked it immediately even though I sucked at it. I think it was the first NES game that I heard which had a voice recording. I still fist pump when I run the red-light and the punk ass cop is like "He got away!"  

Jul 17 at 1:15:36 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I like most of the black box sports games except for Volleyball. The controls are just awful in that game.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jul 17 at 1:22:00 PM
winterion (12)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Hmm. Probably stuff like:
Championship Bowling
Pipe Dream
Kickle Cubicle
Clu Clu Land
Baseball Simulator 1000

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Jul 17 at 1:27:33 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
The phrasing irks me. I get the gist... favorite NES games that aren't as popular... but there's not going to be a game where you are literally the only fan of it.

World Polybius champion.

Jul 17 at 1:32:12 PM
Bert (53)
(The Nert) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

I guess one that I see a lot of undeserved hate for is A Nightmare on Elm Street. Everyone talks about how Friday the 13th is a good game, but I don't really see the same type of love for Nightmare. I feel like it's a really quality platformer and it just gets overlooked as a shitty LJN movie game.

Love Friday the 13th, havent put much time into Nightmare on elm, but it does look fine. I think a lot of the games covered on AVJN get too much hate. It was just meant to be funny, the games arent that bad for the most part

Jul 17 at 1:49:25 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I dig Dragon's Lair, always have.

I'll echo the sentiments with Blue Marlin, that game is great!

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jul 17 at 2:30:04 PM
DefaultGen (21)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: the tall guy

I dig Dragon's Lair, always have.

Definitely Dragon's Lair. It's a memorization game with one hit deaths just like the arcade. What the heck else are you looking for in an NES port, FMV? Although since we both like it, I think that discounts both of us.

To give the same answer I gave on Reddit, Where's Waldo. It's a mess, but because it's a mess looking for Waldo can be kind of fun. They fixed all the graphical nonsense and made it much more like the book in the second game, which is what ruined the little fun there was to be had.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #80: Mario (and Super Mario) Games

Edited: 07/17/2017 at 02:30 PM by DefaultGen

Jul 17 at 3:06:44 PM
Tom Guycot (0)
(Jordan V) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
There are a bunch of games that I enjoy that people seem to rail (especially over the past 10 years)

Personally I enjoy Karate Kid for the NES. I actually like the minigames. Gameplay isn't too bad for a game distributed by LJN. I also used to enjoy Roger Rabbi although I will admit it hasn't aged the best.

Some other games that I like that others don't really talk about or at least not positively are as follows:

Paperboy
The original TMNT game - Sure it's hard, but I hate it when people say a games crap just because it's hard in places
Predator - Always loved the soundtrack
Rambo
Metal gear as well as Snakes Revenge
Festers Quest - This game is A LOT more fun if you have a turbo controller.
Simons Quest
T+C Surf Factory

Actually there are a bunch of them if I think about it, but I don't want my first post in this thread to be a book lol

Edited: 07/17/2017 at 03:07 PM by Tom Guycot

Jul 17 at 3:22:10 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Back to the future.

Jul 17 at 4:34:06 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana

Jul 17 at 4:37:04 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

QBert

It's a good port except for not showing your score after a game over... nonsensical design choice for an arcade title.

World Polybius champion.

Jul 17 at 4:38:18 PM
MegaMan52 (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Look at the avatar.

On November 23, 2017, the total number of views for all of my YouTube videos combined surpassed 20 million (since 2006).

https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMan52/

Jul 17 at 4:39:10 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: Brock Landers

QBert

It's a good port except for not showing your score after a game over... nonsensical design choice for an arcade title.

Yeah, just remembering that now.  I know when we played last year I got super confused with all of my pictures because I kept playing on the zero life by accident.  Ended up submitting a lower score because of it.  Stupid developers.

Edited: 07/17/2017 at 04:41 PM by Brock Landers

Jul 17 at 4:40:55 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
At least you can pause it, unlike Spy Hunter where I had to keep the other controller handy and then grab at it in a panic

Jul 17 at 5:06:14 PM
Somery (2)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Originally posted by: mbd39

The phrasing irks me. I get the gist... favorite NES games that aren't as popular... but there's not going to be a game where you are literally the only fan of it.
I could have phrased it better but you know what I mean.

Jul 17 at 5:47:55 PM
Gandlin (17)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Jaws, Festers Quest, Captain Skyhawk, Little Mermaid, The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout, Whomp 'Em, Little Nemo The Dream Master, Tiny Toon Adventures, Silent Service, Batman, Gremlins 2, New Ghostbusters II, Star Trek 25th Anniversary and TNG

Edited: 07/19/2017 at 08:44 AM by Gandlin

Jul 17 at 5:52:50 PM
Bert (53)
(The Nert) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Mad Martigan

Jaws, Festers Quest, Little Mermaid, The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout, Whomp 'Em, Little Nemo The Dream Master, Tiny Toon Adventures, Silent Service, Batman, Gremlins 2, New Ghostbusters II

who says Batman is bad? They disserve to have their NES taken away.

Jul 17 at 5:55:28 PM
Loxx O))) (11)
Washington
Who says Little Mermaid, Whomp 'Em, Little Nemo, Tiny Toon Adventures, Gremlins 2, or New Ghostbusters II are bad?