Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Did you know...? Post your little gaming factoids and Easter eggs that most people miss. I'll start off with a little Metroid Zero Mission / Super Metroid detail most people miss.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:25:41 AM
CZroe (26)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Originally posted by: KrakenSoup

If you hold the Z button down upon start up, GameCube's startup sounds differ. If you hold down Z buttons on 4 controllers plugged in you'll get a different sound from that one.

If you play the Gamecube BIOS menu ambient music at 16x speed, you'll hear the Famicom Disk System boot-up jingle.

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u1m..." width="500">>

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x5M..." width="500">>

Ohhh! Nice one. Even people praising the "cute" NES Classic Edition menu don't seem to catch that it's another reference to the FDS startup screen.

Another Link's Awakening tidbit: Instead of taking Bow Wow home after Gapunga Swamp, try taking him to see Prince Richard or KiKi the Monkey or the lone gravestone. Good stuff! I think Tarin may have something to say too but I can't recall for sure.

Edited: 03/03/2017 at 11:27 AM by CZroe

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:49:49 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: CZroe

Holding Left and pressing Select on the title screen of the SNES Killer Instinct will immediately take you to the hi-scores. No need to wait through demos and character bios. IIRC, I discovered this because I had no money and realized that you could invoke this on the arcade game a similar way without putting in a credit (left + Start?).

Is this a RARE thing in general?? I just tried it on Cobra Triangle (NES 1988) and it also works! Left+B

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:52:44 PM
CZroe (26)
Georgia
Good question! I'm going to be trying it in every Rareware game from now on.  

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:55:44 AM
John198X (0)
(John -) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: Bert

In the lion king on SNES, go to the options screen and push B,A,R,R,Y you can now select your level and you have invincibility. I believe the name Barry is relevant to something but don't remember off hand who it was

Originally posted by: Bert
Here's a screenshot from Dead rising: 

I like that you posted these one after another.

-------------------------
1,000 game challenge 10/22/16 - 01/15/18
333 Games Beaten * 
nes-268 * sms-25
* tgx/cd-13 * gen/cd-12 * snes-13 * ps-02

Edited: 03/04/2017 at 11:57 AM by John198X

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:04:19 PM
Bert (53)
(The Nert) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: John198X

Originally posted by: Bert

In the lion king on SNES, go to the options screen and push B,A,R,R,Y you can now select your level and you have invincibility. I believe the name Barry is relevant to something but don't remember off hand who it was

Originally posted by: Bert
Here's a screenshot from Dead rising: 

I like that you posted these one after another.

haha 100% not intentional

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:46:41 PM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Mario has too many ears with the tail powerup in SMB3. It's just strange to think about.

Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
"Remove the Rumble Pak" (tm)

Edited: 03/04/2017 at 12:47 PM by Ichinisan

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:18:24 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I read online that Ooccoo, the chicken-looking thing you encounter in Twilight Princess, is named because Link's green tunic in the original Legend of Zelda used the hex color code 0x00CC00. But other sites claim it's not actually 0x00CC00. It seemed too cool not to share though.

Also, since no one has mentioned it yet, the Switch pro controller has a secret message under the right thumbstick that reads "THX2 ALLGAMEFANS!"

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:17:13 AM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Alder

... the Switch pro controller has a secret message under the right thumbstick that reads "THX2 ALLGAMEFANS!"

Is it on the circuit board? Molded into the thumb stick cap? I don't see it on mine.

[edit]
I see it!

[/edit]

It's hard to read the writing on the underside, but it's "made in Germany" like the NES Classic Edition controllers. Hope that doesn't lead to production issues that make the Pro controller impossible to find.

Edited: 03/12/2017 at 10:47 AM by Ichinisan

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:10:55 AM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
The bottom shell for the top-loader NES-101 uses the same mold as the Famicom AV. There's a rounded out part in the plastic lip to accommodate the expansion port connector on the right side.

if you shine a light in the seam, you can see it without opening the NES.

Edited: 03/12/2017 at 11:12 AM by Ichinisan

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:22:12 PM
CZroe (26)
Georgia
The US Super NES was designed the way it was to make the surface so uneven that users would not be tempted to set drinks on it. This was in response to multiple "defective" NES console returns Nintendo would receive back from retailers which were actually damaged from liquid spills (returned fraudulently, no doubt).

Mar 19, 2017 at 12:28:29 AM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Before he became president of Sony, Ken Kutaragi nearly lost his job there. Kutaragi's superiors were furious to learn that he had designed the SNES sound coprocessor in secret. He later became the "father of the PlayStation."

Jan 13 at 2:40:53 AM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Well, the Iwata tribute hidden in the Nintendo Switch was removed in a recent update, but it would have been cool to post this before July 11.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/...

Jan 13 at 2:47:02 AM
SUBSCRIBER
1337bcc1991 (202)
(Brandon ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
In the first Destiny, there is a giant structure in a desert location that resembles Master Chief (Bungie develops both games).

Want thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Sale thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 02:47 AM by 1337bcc1991

Jan 13 at 5:17:35 PM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Nearly all copies of Okami for Wii have an IGN watermark on the cover.

Do you see it?

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 05:18 PM by Ichinisan

Jan 13 at 5:20:32 PM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Even though Guitar Hero III for Wii claims to support Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound, nearly all copies are mono only (not even stereo).

Jan 14 at 2:17:16 AM
CZroe (26)
Georgia
Though the game requires System Card 3.0+ or a SuperCD-ROM^2, try playing Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo on an earlier system (PC Engine, CoreGrafx, CoreGrafx II, or SuperGrafx) with a System Card 1.0 or 2.x. You'll get something... special.  

The PSP collection included a modified version of this Easter Egg too.

Jan 14 at 9:58:27 AM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
You could power an NES through its controller ports if you wanted to. I discovered this by accident:

Jan 14 at 10:01:01 AM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
I believe Link's Crossbow Training was created to include with the Wii Zapper so they can tell sensitive parents: "Um. It's not a toy gun. See?"

It's also a really fun game.

Edited: 01/14/2018 at 11:01 AM by Ichinisan

Jan 14 at 11:00:10 AM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Link's Awakening for Game Boy has a lot of Mario universe stuff in it. Most is impossible to miss if you've played through the game, so I guess this is for you (fools) that haven't played through it:

Goombas always give you a heart when you stomp them.
Pirhana plants go in and out of pipes. I think they always give a rupee when you slash them.
Boo Buddies run away when you light the room.
A Yoshi doll is in the trendy crane game, the first item in a long trading sequence.
A female goat sends a pic of Princess Toadstool to a human pen pal and claims it's her own picture.
A pet Chain Chomp acts like a dog and is named "Bow Wow" before it ever made such a sound in Super Mario 64.
Wart (with his Japanese name: "Mamu") from Super Mario Bros. 2 / Doki Doki Panic is a frog who teaches you a song for the ocarina.
Theres also something that looks and behaves very much like a Thwomp and some others that could be Thwimps.
Also, something that could only be Kirby appears as an enemy.

Link's Awakening features Marin and Tarin -- before Malon and Talon were conceived for OoT. Tarin in Link's Awakening resembles Mario and loves to eat mushrooms, but the didn't make it clear if this was more than coincidence. When OoT was released there was an extra indication that Tarin/Talon are meant to resemble Mario: Talon's farm hand in OoT resembles Luigi. For some reason, the Malo and Talo characters in Twilight Princess do not share any resemblance.

Name your save file "ZELDA" (all caps) to hear a neat tune on the file select screen.

Wait a while inside Prince Richard's Villa to hear Totaka's song.

Equip bombs and the bow at the same time and press both together to shoot bomb arrows.

You can steal from the shop of you're able to get through the door while the shop keeper looks the other way (try running circles around him first). Characters will call you "thief" for the rest of the game instead of using the name you entered on your save file. The shop keeper executes you with a beam of energy if you re-enter after stealing.

Finish the game with no deaths to see a special tweak to the ending. It's a little bit different between the original version and the DX version.

In the DX version with Game Boy Printer support, you can get an alternate version of the first photo if you do not cooperate when the mouse wants to take your picture.

Edited: 01/14/2018 at 07:56 PM by Ichinisan

Jan 14 at 11:57:35 AM
CMR (4)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
The Playstation Castlevania SOTN disc could be put in a CD player and played. The first track was a message telling you that track contained game data, the second was a remixed Castlevania tune.

Jan 14 at 12:02:59 PM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Famicom
Super Famicom
Nintendo 64
Game Boy / Game Boy Color / Game Boy Advance
Virtual Boy
DS/3DS/NN3DS

Nintendo-published cartridge games in Japan never had end labels.

Jan 14 at 3:38:40 PM
TheFinder (35)
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois

Also, something that could only be Kirby appears as an enemy.

In the DX version with Game Boy Printer support, you can get several alternate versions of the first photo based on how much you cooperate when the mouse wants to take your picture.

The goombas also always give you a rupee if you slash them.

I believe the Kirby-like enemies are called Anti-Kirbies.

I didn’t know several. I only thought two pictures were possible? (Whether you cooperate or don’t.)

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 01/14/2018 at 03:39 PM by TheFinder

Jan 14 at 4:52:55 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < Meka Chicken >
Canada

so I guess this is for you (fools) that haven't played through it:

I always get stuck after the one dungeon you need Bow Wow to enter. I can't figure out where to go next after that, seems like everything is blocked off.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Jan 14 at 5:17:18 PM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Koopa64

so I guess this is for you (fools) that haven't played through it:

I always get stuck after the one dungeon you need Bow Wow to enter. I can't figure out where to go next after that, seems like everything is blocked off.
Maybe you didn't get the power bracelet in the dungeon and didn't actually finish the dungeon? The power bracelet allows you to pick up rocks and there are a lot of places you can go right after.

You do have to equip the power bracelet to use it. Otherwise, touching rocks will pop up an annoying message.

The stone tablet / beak hint for that dungeon is something like:

"First defeat the imprisoned pols voice [rabbit thing], last Stalfos [skeleton thing]."

There is a room where you must defeat the enemies in the correct order to make the chest appear. You must use the bracelet to pick up a jar and throw that at the pols voice.

Edited: 01/14/2018 at 05:30 PM by Ichinisan

Jan 14 at 7:54:58 PM
Ichinisan (10)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Originally posted by: TheFinder

Also, something that could only be Kirby appears as an enemy.

In the DX version with Game Boy Printer support, you can get several alternate versions of the first photo based on how much you cooperate when the mouse wants to take your picture.

The goombas also always give you a rupee if you slash them.

I believe the Kirby-like enemies are called Anti-Kirbies.

I didn’t know several. I only thought two pictures were possible? (Whether you cooperate or don’t.)

I did a little experimentation with Zelda DX virtual console on 3DS. I had the piece of power when I slashed the Goombas in Level 1 (Tail Cave), but they wouldn't give me anything.

Yeah. I could only get 1 alternate picture for album image # 1.