Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

New Record Can NA Finish Off The SNES Library? - 2017 This Year: 470/714 - Overall: 677/714 - NHL '95

Oct 05 at 11:08:39 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Bowser >
Brazil
Originally posted by: Daniel_Doyce

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Originally posted by: Daniel_Doyce

Nice, Bea. Doesn't it have a really stupid controller scheme too?

Stupid?
No, not at all. They had 6 buttons to use and put everything on the B button only.
It is way past stupid!  

What's so hard about that? All you have to remember is press B, silly!  

If you are moving, B does one thing. If you are stopped, B does another thing, if you have the ball and is stopped and on the other's team side of the court, B does another thing.
It is stupid.  
About as stupid as the players AI in this game. You can score a two pointer and lock the CPU for the rest of the half time if you want an easy win by making them drop the ball and place your player in front of theirs. They keep trying to run past you but can't push you, nor try to run around you.
I laughed a lot at it when I first caused that to occur.

-------------------------
A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
I am the Red Cyclone!

Oct 05 at 2:46:13 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
Well I suppose I could give a sneak peak of my rough draft write-up of the game

686 - Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball

Should this game be lower on the list?  It truly is terrible and unbalanced.  Perhaps I just enjoy the bizarre fact that Bill Laimbeer got his own video game.  And that the cover shows him punching another player in the face Laimbeer-style.

Anyways, the game is basically "Space Basketball".  Your players are constantly bouncing up and down like you're playing on the moon, which I think only affects how your shots work.  I say think, because there are no certainties with this game.  Mostly because the controls are just bizarre.  B does most actions (other than jump for the ball?), which is ridiculous.  Why not take advantage of the SNES' 6 main buttons?  As best I can tell, holding B while pressing anything on the D-Pad will attempt a pass, whereas pressing just B will attempt a shot.  Unless you're too far away in which case the ball just does its own thing?  It's hard to say for sure because most of the time I have no damn clue where the ball thinks it's going and I can't tell if it's because it tried to do a pass or if your player was at the incorrect height in his "bounce" or I was too far away from something or what.  Who does a one button control scheme?!

There are also power-ups and hazards littering the court, though most, if not all of them, are completely worthless.  Everything moves so slow that you'd almost have to run into the mines on purpose, and I never saw any impacts from power-ups.  You're also allowed to tackle other players in true Laimbeer style.  That is about the only thing in the game that even remotely works, but isn't especially fun.  NFL BLitz this ain't. 

There's also no licenses of any sort (other than Bill's ugly mug), which I guess shouldn't be a surprise about a basketball game in the future.  The music is about as good as any other sports title on the system... terrible and barely present.

Did I beat it?
I have won games, but not been brave enough to attempt a season

Edited: 10/05/2017 at 02:51 PM by Brock Landers

Oct 06 at 12:32:24 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
Did a test drive of Air Cavalry and nearly beat the Middle East campaign on the first try. I had to have been on the 11th or 12th mission. Whenever I finish Lufia I'll probably circle back and finish it off

Oct 06 at 1:35:17 PM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
I've been trying to get further in Street Hockey 95 to no avail. It is just so bad. There isn't much strategy to scoring goals in this one. The goalie AI is unbelievable. Each time it looks like I have an empty net the goalie will auto save it no matter where they are in the net and other times I will take a random pot shot and it'll go in. Every series is a new style of game where points are awarded depending on different criteria. I can't figure out what it is though. Sometimes I'll get one point and sometimes I'll get two but it seems the AI will always get two. It's like playing at a disadvantage the whole time.

Oct 06 at 10:06:44 PM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
Troddlers completed. Good puzzle game. Nice mix of Lemmings and Solomons Key

Oct 06 at 10:59:31 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
Hah, I was on mission 32 of Troddlers. Guess I'll finish it at a more leisurely pace now

Oct 07 at 1:06:49 AM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
REKT!

Oct 07 at 1:09:22 AM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
With that clear it puts me at top five all time. That was what I was aiming for at the beginning of the year. Plenty of time to keep climbing the charts this winter

Oct 07 at 3:45:23 AM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
Spawn.  I'm really torn on this game.  Lots of moves, decent graphics, shit tons of fairly cool boss fights...

But the control is unbelievably unresponsive.  And there is tons of cheap hits and wonky hit detection at time.  If the game didn't give you a million lives to work with there is no way I would of beat this or had the patience to try.  Could of been a top 200 or maybe even top 100 title if the developers had polished and fixed this game

Edited: 10/07/2017 at 03:50 AM by Brock Landers

Oct 07 at 6:13:06 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
And with that we matched 2016 in number of games beaten!
That is awesome!  

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
I am the Red Cyclone!

Oct 07 at 8:49:34 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
And another game that is already cleared, Tom and Jerry, is done again.  Oh well.

Oct 07 at 9:23:10 PM
Loxx O))) (11)
(Fat Man Kraid) < King Solomon >
Washington
Spawn is pretty fun but I never beat it.

Oct 08 at 1:42:34 PM
bronzeshield (43)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
The decidedly not-excellent Wayne's World is done:

I caught Wayne and Garth mid-vanish in the first shot; the second is almost illegible with my potato-quality cell phone camera, but Garth is saying "We're never playing video games again!"

Actually I don't think Wayne's World is quite as bad as its reputation. It's basically B.O.B. with a Wayne's World wrapper, and the ugly aesthetics of that wrapper are a big part of what's so off-putting about it; make it look like B.O.B. again, and some of the good things about that game would be easier to spot.

But the stages are long and labyrinthine, the environmental hazards border on the unfair, and the slowdown is far more pervasive than in B.O.B. And the game seems buggy -- buggier than anything I remember from the Genesis version. There's one spot in the first donut shop area where taking a hit from a standard falling object seems to kill you instantly, no matter how many HP you have; meanwhile, in the first part of the suburban area, I got to the end of the stage and Wayne promptly keeled over (well, kneeled over, really) for no apparent reason.

Funny thing, when I started playing I said to myself "I think it took me 3 hours to beat the Genesis version of Wayne's World, something like that?" And my SNES playthrough ended up taking me 3 hours on the dot.

Oct 08 at 2:14:02 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Dig & Spike Volleyball is done. I have beaten World Cup at Volleyball mode.
Will it be needed to beat beach volleyball as well?

Still, what a pleasant surprise this one was.
It is an excellent volleyball game, possibly the best on the system. A pity it still follows the old rules with 15 points sets, so the game is a bit slow.
You have to win 7 matches to be the champion and then you get an exhibition match against the KIN team (I think this is the hudson team?) and a special match against the MJB team (a special Japan team) and you get the trick to play as the KIN team at the end.
I definitely recommend this game if you are a fan of volleyball.
Heck, whether beating Beach Volleyball mode is needed or not for the thread, I am going to do it now. This game is really good and fun to play.

I am the Red Cyclone!

Oct 08 at 2:18:09 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
Yeah I had fun with it when I took it for a test drive. It's definitely the better of the two v-ball games

And no further clear needed

Oct 08 at 2:18:36 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
Bea matches my record, and we break the overall record. Now Bea just needs to pass my all-time mark  

Oct 08 at 2:27:43 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Well, there is still some time till the end of the year, so I will see what I can do.  
Main problem now is that a lot of the remaining games require days to beat. But I will try to get as close to it as I can before 2017 ends!

I am the Red Cyclone!

Oct 08 at 2:53:40 PM
bronzeshield (43)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Bea matches my record, and we break the overall record.
Uh, ahem, who was it that broke the overall record?!!!?!

(j/k) (mostly)

Do you think it'd be worth an announcement post saying (1) that we broke the record for most games in the SNES thread, and (2) noting some of the many popular games that are still left?

(Don't call me) Surely there have to be some people out there willing to beat Super Return of the Jedi, Lufia 2, The Lost Vikings, Brain Lord, etc. in the closing months of the year, to complement those of us willing to play the likes of Suzuka 8 Hours and WarpSpeed.

BTW glad to see you working on Air Cavalry. It's a good thing you don't have to take on the other campaigns, as expletives would be flying thanks to the horrible landing bug (among other things). The Middle East campaign is much nicer to deal with.

Edited: 10/08/2017 at 02:54 PM by bronzeshield

Oct 08 at 3:02:09 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

(j/k) (mostly)

Do you think it'd be worth an announcement post saying (1) that we broke the record for most games in the SNES thread, and (2) noting some of the many popular games that are still left?

(Don't call me) Surely there have to be some people out there willing to beat Super Return of the Jedi, Lufia 2, The Lost Vikings, Brain Lord, etc. in the closing months of the year, to complement those of us willing to play the likes of Suzuka 8 Hours and WarpSpeed.

BTW glad to see you working on Air Cavalry. It's a good thing you don't have to take on the other campaigns, as expletives would be flying thanks to the horrible landing bug (among other things). The Middle East campaign is much nicer to deal with.
Well, I tried to focus on beating weird and bad games mostly in order to leave the cream of the crop for others to clear! D:
I hope they come and clear those. The more people here, the merrier!  

I am the Red Cyclone!

Oct 08 at 3:09:44 PM
Brock Landers (43)
< Master Higgins >
Montana
Originally posted by: bronzeshield

(j/k) (mostly)

Yeah, I mean you would think so right?  People rallied to that SNES Blackjack thread quickly enough.  And everyone should experience a lot of the uncleared games at least once.  I hesitate to make more threads though, because I already have tons of them cluttering up Gamers Gauntlet as is.

Oct 08 at 3:48:43 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Well, back to trying SimCity 2000 on the SNES... last time it didn't go exactly well.

I am the Red Cyclone!

Oct 08 at 4:03:33 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I didn't even know that SimCity 2000 was ported to the SNES. I bet it's awful considering that the SNES is woefully underpowered for it.

World Polybius champion.

Oct 08 at 4:08:29 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

I didn't even know that SimCity 2000 was ported to the SNES. I bet it's awful considering that the SNES is woefully underpowered for it.
Awful is putting it light.
Everything takes forever to do.

I am the Red Cyclone!

Oct 08 at 5:06:39 PM
bronzeshield (43)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
I started playing Tommy Moe's Winter Extreme and have completed the first course, I think, but I have no idea how to get a password...? Anyone know?

EDIT: Oh, I think I've been playing in a training-type mode (Freeride) that maybe doesn't grant passwords, though that doesn't explain why I'm gradually unlocking things. Hmmm.

Edited: 10/08/2017 at 05:31 PM by bronzeshield

Oct 08 at 7:56:56 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Congo's Caper is done.
This felt quite a lot like a Joe & Mac game...

I am the Red Cyclone!