Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Making a Splatterhouse Famicom Reproduction How would I do it?

Apr 16 at 1:46:14 PM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
(John k Arpin) < Lolo Lord >
Rhode Island
Hey Everyone,
It's been years since I did a reproduction, and I'm way rusty. I just got a junk/not working famicom and disk system off ebay being shipped from Japan (it'll be here in a couple weeks). My goal is to clean it up, retrobrite it, AV mod it, and get it working and looking like new! I never had a Famicom, and I thought this would be a fun hobby project. I havn't soldered in a while, and I'm itching for a restoration project. So this will fit the bill perfectly.

I also would like to make a few Famicom reproductions (english patched) to play on the system once its all said and done. I have 4 in mind, of the 4, 3 I should have no issue doing with the saved sites and documents from years ago. the last one, Splatterhouse, has a differnt mapper that's not as common. It uses a NAMCOT board.

Years ago I did a Splatterhouse NES reproduction once the hack to make it complatible with MMC-3 hack came out. But now, with the Famicom version, I'm not sure how the wiring would go.

I picked up a Famista '94 Famicom game for the donor cart. Uses the same board type as Splatterhouse, but has chips vs globs.

I would program the game on W27010 chips, which are 32 pin and not 28 pins, so I have the extra pins to wire up as well. Can anyone tell me how to wire this cart?

Thanks in advance!!
~John

The other 3 games, which use the common mappers are Sweet Home, Mother, and Takeshi Challenge. Those should be easy enough for me to do. Just Splatter house has me scraching my head.

Edited: 04/16/2018 at 01:48 PM by JohnnyPhantom

Apr 16 at 2:02:39 PM
Lincoln (134)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
looks like it uses standard nintendo-prg layout for both chips. this would be my guess:

pin 1 up
pin 2 -> hole 22, under pin 24
pin 24 tied to pin 16
pin 31 up
pin 32 tied to pin 30

also take note that the namcot boards have the chips on the reverse side compare to a typical nintendo board. prg is on the left, chr is on the right, and pin 1 is bottom left on each.

-------------------------
ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 16 at 2:23:04 PM
Silverspoon (33)
(Justin Steimer) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Dude! I love your avatar Johnny!

Apr 16 at 2:23:36 PM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
Rhode Island
Originally posted by: Silverspoon

Dude! I love your avatar Johnny!

Thanks!!

Apr 16 at 2:25:32 PM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
Rhode Island
Originally posted by: Lincoln

looks like it uses standard nintendo-prg layout for both chips. this would be my guess:

pin 1 up
pin 2 -> hole 22, under pin 24
pin 24 tied to pin 16
pin 31 up
pin 32 tied to pin 30

also take note that the namcot boards have the chips on the reverse side compare to a typical nintendo board. prg is on the left, chr is on the right, and pin 1 is bottom left on each.

I'll give it a shot, thanks for the info! Do I also have to wire Pins 1, 31, and 32 together? I rember something about that for 32 pin ERPOMs on 28 pin sockets
Thanks!!

Apr 16 at 3:11:31 PM
Lincoln (134)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
i generally leave pin 1 floating. pin 31 is typically ok floating as well but you can tie 30-31-32 together to be safe.

should have asked first but is the patched rom the same size as the original? if the patched version is bigger, pin 30 has to go somewhere else.

-------------------------
ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 16 at 4:50:49 PM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
Rhode Island
Originally posted by: Lincoln

i generally leave pin 1 floating. pin 31 is typically ok floating as well but you can tie 30-31-32 together to be safe.

should have asked first but is the patched rom the same size as the original? if the patched version is bigger, pin 30 has to go somewhere else.
I'll check when I get home, should be. I'm only doing the translation patch to the rom.