Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

N64 rom CIC checker Drag n drop

Oct 12 at 4:22:42 PM
Retrostage (35)
(Mike S) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
Hey all,

I've had a lot of people contact me about checking to see what type of CIC an N64 ROM uses, especially when using my N64 Blasters. While most can be checked with Project 64 and other emulators, I figured an easier option would be ideal.

So I made a drag n drop program to do just that. Drag your ROM file onto the program, and it will tell you what CIC type it uses. This is handy for a basically all Japanese titles (so translations) and hacks, as Tool64 isn't able to read any of them. Files need to be in a Big Endian format, so if the program displays a CIC error you can use the byteswapper program that is included.

Download link is here: http://retrostage.net/retrostage/N64%20ROM%20prep%20files.zip

-------------------------

Brand New NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Genesis boards available! Great for reproductions/homebrew! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Buy them from my website here: http://www.retrostage.net

Oct 12 at 7:56:15 PM
CZroe (26)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Cool!

FYI, Obsidian made some great command line tools for this back in the day.

I used MacetII to check CRCs and MotetIII to check CICs. You can drag-and-drop on MacetII and I think I made a BAT file so I could drag and drop for MotetIII ("-info"switch). Bonus feature: they work on every format (Big Endian, Little Endian, etc).

MotetIII would let me easily switch a boot emulator to run on a non-6102/7101 game so that I had more flexibility to mix/match boot and save types on N64 backup units. That kind gives me an idea:
I'm not aware of any 6102/7101 games that check the CIC at run time and, thus, they generally don't need a boot emulator. You just switch the header using MotetIII to make those boot on any other CIC. Starfox 64 (6101/7102) definitely doesn't care: the original scene release was already changed to boot on 6102 (header swap just like MotetIII) and no one released the pure version for a really long time. If I'm right, then default to 6102 CICs might make less sense than something else. It might make more sense to produce more of whichever other CIC is the most common so that the base configuration can support more titles without needing an alternate CIC... even if that requires most titles to be tweaked with a tool like MotetIII.

Edited: 10/12/2017 at 08:40 PM by CZroe

Oct 12 at 9:06:46 PM
Ichinisan (8)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
A utility would definitely help since regional differences and patched ROMs will complicate things.
Originally posted by: CZroe

Cool!

I used MacetII to check CRCs and MotetIII to check CICs. You can drag-and-drop on MacetII and I think I made a BAT file so I could drag and drop for MotetIII ("-info"switch). Bonus feature: they work on every format (Big Endian, Little Endian, etc).

MotetIII would let me easily switch a boot emulator to run on a non-6102/7101 game so that I had more flexibility to mix/match boot and save types on N64 backup units. That kind gives me an idea:
I'm not aware of any 6102/7101 games that check the CIC at run time and, thus, they generally don't need a boot emulator. You just switch the header using MotetIII to make those boot on any other CIC. Starfox 64 (6101/7102) definitely doesn't care: the original scene release was already changed to boot on 6102 (header swap just like MotetIII) and no one released the pure version for a really long time. If I'm right, then default to 6102 CICs might make less sense than something else. It might make more sense to produce more of whichever other CIC is the most common so that the base configuration can support more titles without needing an alternate CIC... even if that requires most titles to be tweaked with a tool like MotetIII.

Going from Elitendo's old North America list from back in the day:
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.elitendo.com/n64/usa_boot...

Ignoring the most common by far (6102), it looks like 6103 is the second most common boot CIC.

1. 1080º Snowboarding
  2. Banjo-Kazooie
  3. Diddy Kong Racing
  4. Excitebike 64
  5. Excitebike 64 Kiosk
  6. Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest
  7. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  8. Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
  9. Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr.
  10. Pokémon Snap
  11. Pokémon Stadium
  12. Super Smash Bros.

1. Banjo-Tooie
  2. Donkey Kong 64
  3. Jet Force Gemini
  4. Jet Force Gemini Kiosk
  5. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The
  6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The
  7. Mickey's Speedway USA
  8. Perfect Dark

1. Cruis'n World
  2. F-Zero X
  3. Yoshi's Story

1. Star Fox 64
So I would order 6103 type CICs, and just patch my 6102 games to use that.

Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
"Remove the Rumble Pak(tm)"

Edited: 10/12/2017 at 09:09 PM by Ichinisan

Oct 12 at 9:13:34 PM
CZroe (26)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Cool!

Going from Elitendo's old North America list from back in the day:
http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.elitendo.com/n64/usa_boot...

Ignoring the most common by far (6102), it looks like 6103 is the second most common boot CIC.

1. 1080º Snowboarding
  2. Banjo-Kazooie
  3. Diddy Kong Racing
  4. Excitebike 64
  5. Excitebike 64 Kiosk
  6. Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest
  7. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
  8. Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
  9. Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr.
  10. Pokémon Snap
  11. Pokémon Stadium
  12. Super Smash Bros.

1. Banjo-Tooie
  2. Donkey Kong 64
  3. Jet Force Gemini
  4. Jet Force Gemini Kiosk
  5. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The
  6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The
  7. Mickey's Speedway USA
  8. Perfect Dark

1. Cruis'n World
  2. F-Zero X
  3. Yoshi's Story

1. Star Fox 64

A utility would definitely help since regional differences and patched ROMs will complicate things.
Yeah, but that site stopped updating before N64 releases stopped. All the late Rareware and Nintendo releases could easily swing the balance.

Oct 13 at 6:26:17 PM
LaC (82)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois

Cool!

Oh Obsidian.  There is a name I have no heard in a long time, a long time.

-------
Eprom

WTB
FS/FT

Oct 13 at 8:59:57 PM
Ichinisan (8)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Originally posted by: LaC

Cool!

I thought you might notice this thread  

Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
"Remove the Rumble Pak(tm)"

Oct 16 at 7:55:43 PM
CZroe (26)
Georgia

Cool!

Wait. Is that a Star Wars reference?! BAN!

OBS was all about obscure Star Trek references (look up Macet).  

Edited: 10/16/2017 at 08:02 PM by CZroe

Oct 16 at 8:10:46 PM
LaC (82)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois

Cool!

Don't forget about Elim.

-------
Eprom

WTB
FS/FT

Oct 16 at 8:14:30 PM
CZroe (26)
Georgia

Cool!

Don't forget about Elim.
http://archives.dcemulation.org/o...

EVERYTHING about them from their tools to the handles and their email host. I think that's something in Klingon near the top. These guys were SERIOUS Trekkies!