Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

R.o.b. only has 2 games. Someone should put him to better use.

Sep 27 at 2:39:43 PM
Nesmaniac (1)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Crack Trooper >
Kentucky
I've been thinking of trying to make a NES game but just don't know if I have it in me. I did get thinking about rob the robot & wondering if there are any homebrew games that makes good use of him. It would be super if someone could develope a game & possibly even new attachments for him that works in a unique way differentiating itself completely from gyromite and stack-up. To be honest I'm not sure anyone would even be up to the challenge but if they could pull it off it would be a major accomplishment. I always thought rob could have really been utilized in a number of unique ways and it's a shame he wasn't. 

-------------------------

Sep 27 at 2:43:42 PM
MrWunderful (259)
(Corey ) < Master Higgins >
California
There has been stuff made. One of the xmas carts 2012? Not sure, im at work

Sep 27 at 2:44:02 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (254)
(Brian P.) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I've always thought that would be cool also, but the problem is the small audience. Working ROBs are hard to come by and expensive, plus he only works on CRT TVs. So there would be a very limited number of people who would be interested.

Sep 27 at 3:03:13 PM
SoleGooseProductions (120)
(Beau ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Seems like one brewer went home with a R.O.B. from MGC last year...

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Sep 27 at 3:12:07 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
I don't think ROB was ever intended for anything past the trojan horse aspect of getting the NES into toystores. I'm actually surprised there was more than one game.

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

There has been stuff made. One of the xmas carts 2012? Not sure, im at work
2014. He could dance to the music.

Sep 27 at 3:12:12 PM
Ichinisan (6)
< Kraid Killer >
Georgia
R.O.B served his purpose. He got the NES into toy stores that otherwise wouldn't have carried another video game system after Atari had soured the market.

I don't really see a lot of fun potential in ROB, but it would be awesome if someone thinks up something cool. Super Russian Roulette could be inspiration  

Buy this UltraHDMI N64 to help LastCat: LINK
eBay stuff: LINK (updated 9/21, still more to come)

Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
"Remove the Rumble Pak(tm)"

Sep 27 at 4:46:59 PM
SUBSCRIBER
BigHero1006 (15)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Nebraska
Does anyone have a Rob that worked in the first place. Mine was and still is miserable.

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Sep 27 at 6:38:25 PM
CZroe (25)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Gyromite's actually pretty fun and ROB functionality could be restored to a frontloader with a relatively simple flasher connected to the composite jack if a maker were so inclined. It'll take some creativity to think of something else he can do, but here's hoping someone thinks up something great some day.  

Sep 27 at 9:26:55 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
R.O.B. really isn't all that fun to play with. Hes more of a collectable, so a new R.O.B. based game would be interesting, but probably wouldn't be the most exciting homebrew to play.

Sep 28 at 1:12:31 PM
uatudawatcha (2)
(Ernie ) < Crack Trooper >
Delaware
R.O.B. Could be fun if it was one component of a game. Like a section where you need to use it to defuse a bomb.

Sep 28 at 1:22:43 PM
TDIRunner (10)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: CZroe

Gyromite's actually pretty fun and ROB functionality could be restored to a frontloader with a relatively simple flasher connected to the composite jack if a maker were so inclined. It'll take some creativity to think of something else he can do, but here's hoping someone thinks up something great some day.  

I definitely agree that Gyromite is fun.  Of course the biggest issue is getting everything setup to play.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Edited: 09/28/2017 at 01:23 PM by TDIRunner

Sep 28 at 1:57:26 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

I definitely agree that Gyromite is fun.  Of course the biggest issue is getting everything setup to play.  

Just hand the second controller to a human.  

Sep 28 at 2:09:39 PM
TDIRunner (10)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Must be nice having friends. All I have is ROB.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Sep 28 at 2:11:26 PM
CZroe (25)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Tulpa

That can be pretty fun too, though it obviously makes it a lot easier and it's hard to imagine that the second player is having as much fun. It's a bit like playing Super Mario Galaxy with a second player.

Sep 28 at 2:13:20 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
That can be pretty fun too, though it obviously makes it a lot easier and it's hard to imagine that the second player is having as much fun. It's a bit like playing Super Mario Galaxy with a second player.
They can always doublecross you and squish Prof. Hector in the pistons.  

I wish someone would hack Gyromite to make the timer a lot quicker. Coordinating between two players to finish the level with a faster countdown would be a blast.

Sep 29 at 8:32:37 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopa Troopa) < Meka Chicken >
Canada

Put the flasher in the cartridge. would work ok for top loaders. heck, put the light on top so front loaders have a chance.

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Sep 29 at 8:36:18 PM
CZroe (25)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Koopa64

Put the flasher in the cartridge. would work ok for top loaders. heck, put the light on top so front loaders have a chance.
Yeah. I've seen some Famiclones with IR accessories that communicated with the cartridge (Wii Sports knock-offs) but that probably can't be made to restore Gyromite and Stack-Up functionality like a composite flasher can.

Oct 02 at 11:27:44 AM
Quaze (92)
(Jordan C.) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
I say they should give ROB a platform title just built from the ground up around him and his robot functionality. Kind of like a Chibi-Robo type idea, only featured in games that don't totally suck.

My eBay feedback

Oct 02 at 11:32:14 AM
Bert (52)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Quaze

I say they should give ROB a platform title just built from the ground up around him and his robot functionality. Kind of like a Chibi-Robo type idea, only featured in games that don't totally suck.

That would be awesome. Maybe have an easter egg where if hes watching he does something, but nothing to affect gameplay. The problem with ROB games is he just moves too damn slow. Could incororate some of his moves from Smash Bros 4. Player 2 can be ROB with Famicom colors. I like this idea

Oct 02 at 11:47:36 AM
Quaze (92)
(Jordan C.) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Bert

Originally posted by: Quaze

That would be awesome. Maybe have an easter egg where if hes watching he does something, but nothing to affect gameplay. The problem with ROB games is he just moves too damn slow. Could incororate some of his moves from Smash Bros 4. Player 2 can be ROB with Famicom colors. I like this idea

Yeah, a pure extension of his old functionality won't be enough. I don't just want another ROB physical robot that barely does anything and adds little to the game he's involved in. I wanna see him in pixel and sprite form, and if there is a physical ROB to accompany the game, maybe just incorporate him in there with some advanced Amiibo functionality. Like say if you had a bigger than normal Amiibo (a'la Mega Yarn Yoshi), you could pose ROB in different configurations, and depending on the configuration, could change the functionality of the amiibo when applied....Or something to that effect. If his arms are up while you scan him, he can detect nearby secret areas etc. I think that'd be awesome, and an easy IP to build a game around. A robot-themed puzzle/action/platformer would fit right into Nintendo's first-party lineup.

My eBay feedback

Oct 04 at 12:17:10 PM
Nesmaniac (1)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Crack Trooper >
Kentucky
Think of rob playing some sort of nintendo card game. Special hands could be made with sensors to detect the card & the cards could even have something like e-reader cards for the data. Possibilities would be endless and the imagination would be the limit. Even a simple russian roulette game with rob would be interesting. A pokemon battle game also comes to mind. Could even be implemented into rob playing actual 2 player nes games by using card data which he would spin around & read the cards in a card holder of some sort. This would be sort of like an enhanced eye of judgement setup but instead of a stationary camera there'd be a robot with mobility reading cards below and above his hands at his various points of movement. Once the basic hardware is configured with the card holder then the ideas would be unlimited.