Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew 8 BIT XMAS 2017 development multicart time!

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:44:17 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Ay Jay Will-Yams) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: spoonman

The only other thing I thing would have been nice would be a top cart label with  8-BIT XMAS 2017  printed on it, so if you keep it on a shelf with your other NES carts, it won't just be a blank bit of plastic.
I imagine I can come up with something on my own though. Unless someone else wants to come up with something. (hint, hint)   
Interesting about the firmware causing issues. I recently downgraded to b7 due to an incompatibility with MegaCatStudios MMC repro carts and b8 / 1.2 final. No trouble to report with b7 and Xmas 2017.

Yes I was wondering why Brian did not affix an end label. There is the end label zone plus about 3/8" of space available above the screen window which could be used for an adhesive label. Just an end label would be swell though as the edge is naked just like my Powerpak, but that had a CF slot on it. In fact nothing (aside from the box I ordered from another party) suggests anywhere this is official 2017 Xmas release, including the retrousb splash screen and menu. Well it say '17 on the PCB at least.  

One other issue I'm concerned with is there is no real screen protection. A small rectangle of protective material exists on the screen (DS size?) but some gorilla glass or something would have been ideal.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 11/30/2017 at 11:49 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:40:40 AM
Mega Mario Man (62)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

I just hope the addition of an LCD screen doesn't make it over $100 to produce...  

One other issue I'm concerned with is there is no real screen protection. A small rectangle of protective material exists on the screen (DS size?) but some gorilla glass or something would have been ideal.
I'm guessing having gorila glass custom cut to match the size of the screen would have been pretty expensive in a batch as small as he would have needed. Might be pushing that $100 mark that you were worried about.  

I'm not sure why protection for the screen really matters, most are keeping these stored in some sort of protective case and it is not a touch screen. Do you have gorilla glass for your TV or computer monitor? In most cases, this game is going from protective sleeve, to the game console, and back into the protective sleeve. I doubt people are carying these around in their pockets, letting their kids play with them, or tossing them around house like their do their cell phone. I really think you are getting pretty nit-picky about features that really don't matter and would just drive up the costs and production time. 

Can't we just be happy that we have a cool Xmas game in time for the Holiday Season? It is pretty cool Brian was able to make this come to life in the short timeframe he had. Not to mention, he is hand assembling ALL of these from scratch. I think I can spare the minor details for how cool this is.

Off topic rant on screen protectors
Even though I buy them as well (and hate myself for it), glass protection really isn't needed for most devices anymore as many are already made with Gorilla Glass, but this is where stores really make their money, so they push that you must have it. Not to mention, by the time most people are done using their phones\tablets, there is little to no resell value anyways as the software is out of date and many apps no longer are supported.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:10:30 PM
deleteme (0)
(delete me) < Tourian Tourist >
United States

A hard reset with power switch is required to select a new game for better or worse.
or follow the instructions on the product page

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:18:51 PM
AaronE (52)
(Aaron E) < El Ripper >
Indiana
Originally posted by: deleteme

A hard reset with power switch is required to select a new game for better or worse.
or follow the instructions on the product page

You know rule #1 is people don't read. Heck it's even in bold.

To pick a different game, just hold select for a few seconds to return to the game selection screen.

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:10:13 PM
Ausden (10)
(Jonathan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Received mine this afternoon. Played through for about 1 hour and everything looks good. Really addicted to the 2015 block game, had to stop after level 33.

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:14:44 PM
MrWunderful (281)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Super happy with mine, when it showed up it had a huge thumbprint smudge on the screen   but it cleaned up!

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:34:41 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Be weary of using alcohol to clean the screen. I cleaned some fingerprints off mine with 91% isopropyl, and there was a visible smudge underneath the screen which affected the contrast making it appear lighter or darker. I was scared this effect would be permanent, but appears to have disappeared in the last couple hours, possibly capilary action pulled the liquid underneath and it has since started drying?

I also discovered a bug in Xmas 2014 where tapping Select to trigger the ROB strobe screen resets the game back to the select menu. At least it does this on AVS. Have not played yet on my NES. Toasters and blinky lights don't go together LOL! Not that ROB would work off an AVS / flat panel, but annoying I can't access this mode during play.

Also I hastily created a makeshift end label today at work using the company label maker, and trimmed it when I got home. I would really love a more permanent and professional solution though if anyone decides to create one. Perhaps one front label for top loaders and a different one for AVS console based on how the screen is oriented.

Edited: 12/01/2017 at 09:51 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:49:52 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

I just hope the addition of an LCD screen doesn't make it over $100 to produce...  

I'm guessing having gorila glass custom cut to match the size of the screen would have been pretty expensive in a batch as small as he would have needed. Might be pushing that $100 mark that you were worried about.  

I'm not sure why protection for the screen really matters, most are keeping these stored in some sort of protective case and it is not a touch screen. Do you have gorilla glass for your TV or computer monitor? In most cases, this game is going from protective sleeve, to the game console, and back into the protective sleeve. I doubt people are carying these around in their pockets, letting their kids play with them, or tossing them around house like their do their cell phone. I really think you are getting pretty nit-picky about features that really don't matter and would just drive up the costs and production time. 

Can't we just be happy that we have a cool Xmas game in time for the Holiday Season? It is pretty cool Brian was able to make this come to life in the short timeframe he had. Not to mention, he is hand assembling ALL of these from scratch. I think I can spare the minor details for how cool this is.

Off topic rant on screen protectors
Even though I buy them as well (and hate myself for it), glass protection really isn't needed for most devices anymore as many are already made with Gorilla Glass, but this is where stores really make their money, so they push that you must have it. Not to mention, by the time most people are done using their phones\tablets, there is little to no resell value anyways as the software is out of date and many apps no longer are supported.

FYI, wasn't trying to nitpik and sorry if I came off that way; just giving honest feedback. This cart is a wonderful addition to my collection, and let's be honest, Brian really raised the bar and outdid himself this year! It will be a real challenge to come up with something in the future to top this effort, if he decides to continue the annual tradition...  

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:38:24 PM
demanufacturedmario (86)
(A J) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
No Christmas card this year.  

Just got mine and it's fantastic!

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:53:13 PM
dragonwarrior83 (28)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
Ordered mine a few days ago and now the wait begins, I only have 2016 so I'm excited to try all the previous releases.

Looking for a CIB Dragon Warrior 3.

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:49:21 AM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < El Ripper >
Texas
Got it today. It is really cool especially in a custom NES console with a plexi glass to display it. Interesting, the game, lights, and display only works when just inserted and not pushed down. Guess that was meant to be like that.
Nice job bunny!

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:47:04 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Looks like they're all gone...  
http://www.retrousb.com/product_i...

Edited: 12/02/2017 at 02:48 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:08:45 AM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Seriously?! I needed to wait just a bit to order. Damn. Crossed fingers that changes.

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:10:08 AM
dragonwarrior83 (28)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
Your right, I must have ordered just in time, I hope mine doesn't get cancelled. Mine hasn't shipped and says under production but we will see what happens.

Looking for a CIB Dragon Warrior 3.

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:38:24 AM
romevi (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
He put Temporarily Unavailable. If they weren't for sale anymore he'd have put it under Discontinued.

I'm guessing he wants to check them all for issues.

Edit: On his Facebook he said he's waiting for more boards to come in. Closer to Christmas.

"When you desire to play video games as much as you desire the air you breathe, then you will have the time to play video games."
- Socrates

Edited: 12/02/2017 at 11:17 AM by romevi

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:09:35 PM
Mega Mario Man (62)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
I'm guessing he's waiting for more parts.  

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:53:28 PM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
Phew, I had that sinking feeling thinking they were all out, glad there's more on the way

We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:31:00 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: romevi

He put Temporarily Unavailable. If they weren't for sale anymore he'd have put it under Discontinued.

I'm guessing he wants to check them all for issues. Edit: On his Facebook he said he's waiting for more boards to come in. Closer to Christmas.
Good to know he's ordering more parts. I would hate for others to miss out. This year's release is truly once in a lifetime special.

In other sad news, I had Xmas 2016 sitting in the AVS (card and sleeve on the floor nearby) and the housekeeper came to decorate the living room for Christmas while I was at work. Now I can't find the Xmas card or sleeve from 2016 pinball, my favorite release (besides 2017 of course). I'm hoping the card didn't get accidentally thrown away. Can't really blame her even if she did, as she really wouldn't know the difference between a limited edition Xmas card and a junk mail flyer. I even dug through the trash and recycle bin last night but found nothing...  

In other news, my boxes for 2016/2017 did come in from NES-City with insert and protectors. 2017 has been a great year overall!  

Edited: 12/02/2017 at 06:35 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 3, 2017 at 12:52:29 AM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I like how the cartridge knows which system it's in, and flips the LCD screen orientation appropriately. 

But has anyone tried inserting it in the AVS' Famicom port using a 72 pin to 60 pin adapter?
Is it smart enough to know to flip it back to the NES orientation? Hopefully, because I think that would be a nice way to display it.

I'm also looking for a way to protect the LCD from possible scratches or fingerprints. I have some paper thin, clear rectangles of plastic which might work out well.
Just curious if anyone else has a better idea? Does a crystal clear NES shell exist that would fit everything under the protection of the cartridge itself?

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:12:19 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: spoonman

I like how the cartridge knows which system it's in, and flips the LCD screen orientation appropriately. 

But has anyone tried inserting it in the AVS' Famicom port using a 72 pin to 60 pin adapter?
Is it smart enough to know to flip it back to the NES orientation? Hopefully, because I think that would be a nice way to display it.
Negative. Image displays upside down when used with a Famicom adapter on the AVS, right side up with AV Famicm. And it will likely display upside down (compared to AVS) in NES side loaders with the lid removed.

Could someone with an NT Mini test the Xmas2017 cartridge to determine if it displays correctly? NT is toploading but uses an FPGA like the AVS.

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 06:42 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:59:09 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Interesting, I assumed it used a mercury switch.

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:03:51 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: romeoteknik

Is there a listing of all the songs per game? Would be nice to see what songs each game has and which songs carried over per release.
Holding A+B+Select+Start seems to get back to main menu, you might have to try it a few times before it works.

Holding select for a few seconds returns to the game select menu. For some reason the dancing ROB strobe screen in 2014 is broken. Tapping select initiates the flickering ROB mode but after a few seconds it resets to the menu as if Select were still being held down. You'll need a powerpak or original cart (and working ROB) to demo that mode sadly.

Track list, based on a listeing test and handwritten notes (forgive me if I missed any songs):

8-bit Xmas 2008 (no game):
#1 - Frosty the Snowman
#2 - Carol of the Bells
#3 - Jingle Bells
#4 - Rudolf the Rednose Reigndeer

8-bit Xmas 2009 (4-player Snowball Fight):
#1 - Oh, Holy Night
#2 - So this is Christmas
#3 - Silent Night

8-bit Xmas 2010 (4-player Santa Joyride):
#1 - A Chipmunk's Christmas
#2 - Here Comes Santa Clause
#3 - Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel

8-bit Xmas 2011 (4-player Warlords):
#1 - Sweet Little Jesus Boy
#2 - Oh Come All Ye Faithful
#3 - What Child Is This

8-bit Xmas 2012 (4-player Biplanes):
#1 - The First Noel
#2 - Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
#3 - We Wish You A Merry Christmas
#4 - Oh Holy Night*
#5 - Silent Night*

8-bit Xmas 2013 (Solaris - single player SHMUP):
#1 - Sleigh Ride
#2 - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
#3 - It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
#4 - Carol of the Bells*

8-bit Xmas 2014 (Queen Bee - up to six players):
#1 - Let It Snow
#2 - Jingle Bells*
#3 - What Child Is This*
#4 - Frosty the Snowman*

8-bit Xmas 2015 (12 Seconds - single player Run & Jump):
#1 - Bring Out the Holly
#2 - Joy to the World
#3 - Marhmallow World
#4 - Jingle Bell Rock

8-bit Xmas 2016 (single player Pinball):
#1 - Most Wonderful Time
#2 - Angels we Have Heard on High
#3 - Feliz Navidad
#4 - Rocking Around the Christmas Tree

8-bit Xmas 2017 (9-in-1 multicart):
All of the Above  

16-bit Xmas 2011:
Original game, no Christmas tunes

16-bit Xmas 2012:
Port of 8-bit Xmas 2009

*Song previously appeared on earlier cart (remixed)

8-bit Xmas 2011, 2013, and 2015 reissued as AVS launch series, sans Christmas music and blinky lights. 2015 does not play music during gameplay, due to the display kernel. All games have demo ROM available, except 2016 and the 2017 multicart.

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 06:43 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:16:06 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: NESHomebrew

Interesting, I assumed it used a mercury switch.
It's why I wanted to see how the game behaved on an NT Mini, which is a top-loading FPGA. The cart does something to detect the console type. I'm just wondering how it would respond to NT Mini / Kevtris core.

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 06:41 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:45:34 PM
romeoteknik (0)
< Cherub >
New York
Posted a quick vid, such a brilliant idea with the screen.

Link: https://twitter.com/romeoteknik/s...

follow | https://twitter.com/romeoteknik

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:46:36 PM
romeoteknik (0)
< Cherub >
New York

Originally posted by: romeoteknik

Is there a listing of all the songs per game? Would be nice to see what songs each game has and which songs carried over per release.
Holding A+B+Select+Start seems to get back to main menu, you might have to try it a few times before it works.

Holding select for a few seconds returns to the game select menu. For some reason the dancing ROB strobe screen in 2014 is broken. Tapping select initiates the flickering ROB mode but after a few seconds it resets to the menu as if Select were still being held down. You'll need a powerpak or original cart (and working ROB) to demo that mode sadly.

Track list, based on a listeing test and handwritten notes (forgive me if I missed any songs):

8-bit Xmas 2008 (no game):
#1 - Frosty the Snowman
#2 - Carol of the Bells
#3 - Jingle Bells
#4 - Rudolf the Rednose Reigndeer

8-bit Xmas 2009 (4-player Snowball Fight):
#1 - Oh, Holy Night
#2 - So this is Christmas
#3 - Silent Night

8-bit Xmas 2010 (4-player Santa Joyride):
#1 - A Chipmunk's Christmas
#2 - Here Comes Santa Clause
#3 - Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel

8-bit Xmas 2011 (4-player Warlords):
#1 - Sweet Little Jesus Boy
#2 - Oh Come All Ye Faithful
#3 - What Child Is This

8-bit Xmas 2012 (4-player Biplanes):
#1 - The First Noel
#2 - Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
#3 - We Wish You A Merry Christmas
#4 - Oh Holy Night*
#5 - Silent Night*

8-bit Xmas 2013 (Solaris - single player SHMUP):
#1 - Sleigh Ride
#2 - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
#3 - It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
#4 - Carol of the Bells*

8-bit Xmas 2014 (Queen Bee - up to six players):
#1 - Let It Snow
#2 - Jingle Bells*
#3 - What Child Is This*
#4 - Frosty the Snowman*

8-bit Xmas 2015 (12 Seconds - single player Run & Jump):
#1 - Bring Out the Holly
#2 - Joy to the World
#3 - Marhmallow World
#4 - Jingle Bell Rock

8-bit Xmas 2016 (single player Pinball):
#1 - Most Wonderful Time
#2 - Angels we Have Heard on High
#3 - Feliz Navidad
#4 - Rocking Around the Christmas Tree

8-bit Xmas 2017 (9-in-1 multicart):
All of the Above  

16-bit Xmas 2011:
Original game, no Christmas tunes

16-bit Xmas 2012:
Port of 8-bit Xmas 2009

*Song previously appeared on earlier cart (remixed)

8-bit Xmas 2011, 2013, and 2015 reissued as AVS launch series, sans Christmas music and blinky lights. 2015 does not play music during gameplay, due to the display kernel. All games have demo ROM available, except 2016 and the 2017 multicart.

Wow, thanks for the list! Great information here.  

follow | https://twitter.com/romeoteknik