Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

FamiTracker with sound effects for neslib FamiTracker music player integrated with FamiTone2 sound effects and neslib

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:43:50 PM
Shiru (0)

(Shiru Shiru) < Meka Chicken >
Russian Federation
This is a special neslib version with intergrated full blown FamiTracker music driver combined with FamiTone2's sound effects player.

Since release of FamiTone I was getting complaints on how restricted it is, and how missing features not allowing to create good music with it. It gets as far as people now trying to expand the engine to support more FamiTracker features, for some reason - rather pointless to me, as the very idea of FamiTone was to be that restricted, the design was never intended to be expandable, and it would be easier to just write another engine from scratch.

I also often heard that it is very difficult to add sound effects support into FamiTracker player. Not to mention that it actually has its own rudimentary sound effects system for a long time (seems that no one ever used it), that's not true. This neslib version is the proof, or an example how to do it.

Hope it will enable creativity of those who had so much trouble with limited feature set of FamiTone, and they will finally be able to get to making games.

Download: http://shiru.untergrund.net/files...

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:04:33 PM
Mega Mario Man (58)
(Tim ) < Kraid Killer >
Nebraska
I think zi writes fantastic music in Famitracker and I use Famitone to play the songs in the game. Other than a few special effects that have to be changed, I think it does pretty well.

-------------------------
Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:52:55 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Shiru

This is a special neslib version with intergrated full blown FamiTracker music driver combined with FamiTone2's sound effects player.

Since release of FamiTone I was getting complaints on how restricted it is, and how missing features not allowing to create good music with it. It gets as far as people now trying to expand the engine to support more FamiTracker features, for some reason - rather pointless to me, as the very idea of FamiTone was to be that restricted, the design was never intended to be expandable, and it would be easier to just write another engine from scratch.

I also often heard that it is very difficult to add sound effects support into FamiTracker player. Not to mention that it actually has its own rudimentary sound effects system for a long time (seems that no one ever used it), that's not true. This neslib version is the proof, or an example how to do it.

Hope it will enable creativity of those who had so much trouble with limited feature set of FamiTone, and they will finally be able to get to making games.

Download: http://shiru.untergrund.net/files/src/cc65_neslib_famitracke...

Thanks Shiru for all the interesting contents/tools you have been publishing.

@Mods:
My two cents advise, and this is just my own proposal, is to add a link to this thread, and even more a link to the thread with a list of links about C programming for the NES (with source code of several projects) which is already outside page 1 of the brewery:

http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

to the programming resources thread, which didn't get any update lately.

http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

"This thread will organize the resources that will be beneficial to programmers at any level."

Again, just my opinion, but it would be beneficial if such kind of threads giving valuable resources to programmers are linked somewhere making them more easily accessible and visible.

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:09:14 PM
KHAN Games (88)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I've used Famitone for my last 4 or 5 projects and it's been amazing.

Thank you for everything you do.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:10:19 AM
glutock (0)
< Little Mac >
France
Thanks a lot for this Shiru !

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:16:57 PM
Memblers (3)
(Joey Parsell) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Thanks, Shiru. I'm working on a game that will use the full Famitracker driver, and it will need sound effects. It looks like my life just got a little easier.  

-------------------------

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:58:09 AM
glutock (0)
< Little Mac >
France
Hi Shiru,

some notes about your famitracker+famitone2sfx neslib update.

Why don't use the var_PlayerFlags variable from famitracker instead of creating a new one MUSIC_PLAY ?
If doing so, we can change the _music_play routine from this : 

_music_pause:
    inc <MUSIC_PLAY
    rts

to this :

_music_pause:
    lda var_PlayerFlags
    eor #$01
    sta var_PlayerFlags
    rts

in the player.s file :
ft_music_play:
    lda var_PlayerFlags                 ; Skip if player is disabled
    bne :+
    rts                                 ; Not playing, return
:

the var_PlayerFlags test can be removed/commented out because we're checking it the ft_update NMI function.

in the init.s file :

cpx #$01                            ; PAL / NTSC flag
    beq @LoadPAL

should be replaced by :

cpx #$80                           ; PAL / NTSC flag
    bne @LoadPAL

to keep PAL/NTSC adjustement working.

in the apu.s file :
ft_update_apu:
    lda var_PlayerFlags
    bne @Play
    lda #$00                    ; Kill all channels
    sta $4015
    rts

The "kill all channels" (lda + sta) should be removed in order to keep sfx working even if the song is halted by C00 effect.

Also, last_bss_var and last_zp_var zp vars can be removed or commented out.

Hope it's helping and correct (works for me though).