Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Reproduction Lets Build a Tales of Phantasia Cart! Lots of Pictures

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:39:11 PM
Jon2887 (1)

< Little Mac >
Alabama
I get a lot of questions about making SNES reproduction carts and the two games I get asked most about are ToP and Crimson Echoes. I figured today I would make a rundown of how I build a ToP cartridge.

First thing you will need are the basic parts to build this:

2 - 29f033 chips with the 2 parts of ToP burned. I split mine and mark the chips so I know which is which.
1 - Hi rom board with 64kb of sram (I will be using Madden 95)
Sodering Iron
Desolder tool
Solder
Clipper to clip the headers such as tin snips or even nail clippers

First make sure you have your board ready to go by desoldering the mask rom.

Madden 95

Now these are my chips to solder down, notice I have the chips marked as 1 and 2. When you split the rom image of ToP you are left with a 4MB and 2MB file. The chip marked T1 is the 4MB image and the chip marked 2MB is marked T2.

TSOPs

First thing to do is remove the headers from T2. I need the headers on there for the programming part but we are going to share a set of headers between the two chips when they are soldered to the board.

TSOP Desoldered

We also want to desolder the 4th pin from the right on the T1 board. Pull the pin out of the hole after you desolder it so it is just left with a blank space.

Pin Desoldered

Pin Removed

Next we want to trim the headers so they will fit in the case. You want to clip a little bit off the top, maybe half a centimeter or so. After you clip the headers, you will need to cut two parts from the inside of the case. There are two small pieces of plastic that will prevent the case from closing so you want to just cut them off.

They should look like this afterwards.

Now take the first chip with the headers and push it through the holes of the pcb.

And on the back...

I started to already solder the pins as you can see above. I usually recommend doing a test fit if you have not done this before so you can make sure everything fits in the case correctly.

Fit the 2nd chip onto the headers that are pushing through the board. Make sure the chip is the same orientation as the chip on the other side of the board. 

Make sure the pins at least start to go into the 2nd chip, the pins dont have to go all the way through the chip they just need to be touching the holes since you can flow solder through to make a connection.

After soldering the first and second chip down we need to lift a leg on the Mad 1 chip. You want to lift the 4th leg from the right as seen below.

Easiest way to do this is to desolder the Mad 1 from the board, bend the pin up and then solder the chip back down to the board.

Now its time for a little wiring.

The pin second from the right on the T1 chip needs to be wired to the Mad 1 leg that we lifted. The pin that we pulled from the T1 chip earlier needs to be wired to the first Mad 1 pin.

Last pin we need to wire is on the back.

The pin that we pulled that shoul have been left empty is being wired to the Mad 1 as shown above. Bottom most left pin when looking at the back.

And thats it! Clean the pins up real well with some alcohol, pop it in to your system and cross your fingers.

Hopefully you see this screen!

Now pop it back into your case and get a label printed, congratulations you just made Tales of Phantasia!

If you have any other questions post them here, this took a lot of practice to get down correctly so stick with it. Also feel free to ask about other games, I'd be more than happy to make tutorials like this one if you guys find it helpful.

-------------------------
Super Reproductions High Quality Reproductions Shipped in Days, Not Weeks!

Edited: 09/01/2016 at 11:27 PM by NintendoAge Moderator

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:32:15 AM
SolRockSF (2)
< Cherub >
Alaska
This is great. This will be so helpful once I graduate to snes repros.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:30:00 PM
Gorillazero (51)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
nice work.

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:34:41 PM
Jazzmarazz (1)
(Jordan Appleton-Joslin) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
Do you do the SMT work yourself or are you strictly a through-hole kinda guy? Where do you get your stocks of 033's and adapters?

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:27:14 AM
Jon2887 (1)

< Little Mac >
Alabama
29f033s I get from either ebay or veracruze. Adapter boards I get from buyicnow. I can do all types of SMT work, I've just always used 033s and adapter boards for SNES stuff. If you're referring to soldering down the 29f033s, yes I do all of the mounting myself. Once you get the hang of it its easy.

Edited: 08/13/2014 at 12:28 AM by Jon2887

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:55:10 AM
clarky_n64 (74)
(Clarky Creations) < Eggplant Wizard >
United Kingdom
What burner do you use that will write TSOP?

Thanks for the guide aswell, awesome!!

Want custom repros:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:04:20 AM
Jon2887 (1)

< Little Mac >
Alabama
I use a GQ-4X with an adapter that I built. It lets me test the tsops after I have mounted them to make sure soldering is good. It also burns the tsops after they are mounted.

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:09:55 AM
Supraguy88t (17)
(Christian I) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: Jon2887

I use a GQ-4X with an adapter that I built. It lets me test the tsops after I have mounted them to make sure soldering is good. It also burns the tsops after they are mounted.

Are you using the retrohacker tsop to willem adapter board ? What burner software are you using? I've got the same burner, same buyicnow tsop adapter boards and can burn 29fc32b chips no problem but the 29f033c chips will not burn (both from Veracruz). I do all my own soldering too and you are right after a little practice it's not that bad. Some help getting the 33's working for me would be great!

IRVING, TX 
                     August 5th - 6th

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=32&th...

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:54:04 PM
MarkFrisbie (5)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Mark Frisbie) < Little Mac >
United States
The programming algorithm for the 29F033 should be exactly the same as the 29F032

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:38:34 PM
MrPete1985 (34)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I ended up just buying the Willem adaptors so that I can program TSOP chips. Sometimes they will not verify with 5 volts so I switch to 3 volts then they verify. Whenever that happens I dump the game again and see if BSNES will load it.

Just about anything you would want to know about SNES repros
The best SNES PCBs you can buy
Mask ROM Adapter Boards
Fixing stuff on my YouTube channel

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:24:55 PM
Supraguy88t (17)
(Christian I) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: MarkFrisbie

The programming algorithm for the 29F033 should be exactly the same as the 29F032

Yes it should that's what I keep reading but they aren't working for me and I'm not sure why. The 32s work perfect. Tried a couple 33s on different tsop to dip adapter boards with no result. Read other people having issues with them but nobody posted a result.

IRVING, TX 
                     August 5th - 6th

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=32&th...

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:44:56 PM
MarkFrisbie (5)
United States
Maybe your difficulties are with the /WE line??? On the buyIC now adapter, I *believe* that the WE line is just pulled high and no connection to the programmer (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Try connecting your programmers WE line directly to the adapter. Make sure it's not bridged to the 5v line. Are you able to read the data after programming? Does it compare accurately?

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:52:04 AM
MrPete1985 (34)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: MarkFrisbie

Maybe your difficulties are with the /WE line??? On the buyIC now adapter, I *believe* that the WE line is just pulled high and no connection to the programmer (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Try connecting your programmers WE line directly to the adapter. Make sure it's not bridged to the 5v line. Are you able to read the data after programming? Does it compare accurately?

That's what I was thinking also, try bridging it to ground instead of 5v and see if it will program.

Mask ROM Adapter Boards

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:58:47 AM
MarkFrisbie (5)
United States
The best method is to let the programmer control that line. The tsop Pcbs I made for myself has a provision for /WE to be connected. Never had any programming issues. Sometimes just grounding will work with some programmers, but that wasn't the case with mine (Wellon 890).

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:23:45 PM
MrPete1985 (34)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
And here is how you make a ToP cart when your desoldering iron is carp and can't desolder plated through holes.

Mask ROM Adapter Boards

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:42:14 PM
billybob2236 (1)
(jake wavrunek) < Cherub >
Wisconsin
If I wanted to make a Super Demo World : The Legend Continues would the process be the same just using a 36 pin lorom board?

-Jake

-Jake

I collect and restore Arcade game, if you have any questions I can help.

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:38:03 PM
MrPete1985 (34)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: billybob2236

If I wanted to make a Super Demo World : The Legend Continues would the process be the same just using a 36 pin lorom board?

-Jake

For Super Demo World you would need a 139 decoder or the game will not save correctly.  I made a post about how to wire one up when I made a DQ3 repro.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Also SNES9x shows that the ROM is converted to a ExHiROM
File: C:\Users\Pete\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_Super_Demo_World_-_The_Legend_Continues.zip\Super Demo World - The Legend Continues.smc
Name: Super Demo World TLC
Speed: 25/SlowROM
ROM Map: HiROM
Type: 02
Kart contents: ROM+RAM+BAT
Header ROM Size: 64Mbits
Calculated ROM Size: 48 Mbits
SRAM size: 16Kbits (16Kbit)
Actual Checksum: A0DA
Header Checksum: A0DA
Header Checksum Compliment: 5F25
Output: NTSC 60Hz
CRC32:    FA0C7FA8
Licensee: Nintendo
ROM Version: 1.5
Region: USA/Canada

Mask ROM Adapter Boards

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:45:25 PM
billybob2236 (1)
Wisconsin
Thanks I saw that topic, and I think I ment to post this question on that topic. I was reading both at the same time

I will give it a try tonight and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again,
-Jake

-Jake

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:19:25 PM
billybob2236 (1)
Wisconsin
What program do you use to split a 6MB game into a 4 and 2? Do you use Hex editor and just manually delete it.?

-Jake

Oct 22, 2014 at 3:30:04 AM
newo (0)

< Cherub >
You can use SNESTool: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/18/. You have to use command prompt, but it always works.

I had trouble using Snes Rom Utility splitting files into uneven segments, but SnesTool worked for me.

Follow up question: I can't get my ToP repro to boot. I'm using the ToP japanese board as a donor, with two TSOP adapters. I read somewhere that the mask roms on the ToP board are inverted compared to most other boards (1st rom on the top, 2nd on the bottom). Can someone confirm this before I start desoldering?

Edited: 10/22/2014 at 03:32 AM by newo

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:13:48 PM
MrPete1985 (34)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
When I tested mine I put the 32mbit TSOP on the bottom and the 16mbit TSOP on the top.

Mask ROM Adapter Boards

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:48:23 AM
newo (0)

< Cherub >
That was on the Jap version of ToP, yeah?

Mor eimportantly, did it work?

Oct 24, 2014 at 8:57:40 AM
MrPete1985 (34)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: newo

That was on the Jap version of ToP, yeah?

Mor eimportantly, did it work?

Yes I used the SFC tales to test before soldering to the final board, it loaded without issue.

Mask ROM Adapter Boards

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:51:57 PM
josete2k (7)

(Jose Ruiz) < Eggplant Wizard >
Spain
You have P0 and P1 in the pcb... Just put the 32mb in P0 and 16 in P1.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:28:34 PM
newo (0)

< Cherub >
Thanks for clearing that up — although I was kind of hoping that I had the TSOPs round the wrong way. I can only assume that my soldering is dodgy.