Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The 1007 Bolts Is anyone interested in producing this NES minigame?

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:54:38 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Update, November 29th 2015:

NA Sale thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

LE Auction Thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Thanks to Neodolphino and the whole NA community for the support!

Update, March 23rd 2015:

Sold. I could find a producer willing to acquire the rights to put this ROM on cart.
A sincere thank you to all the nice people here showing interest for a possible deal.

Cheers!

- user

---

Update, March 22th 2015:

Hi all!

I wrote this code just for the sake to code something for the NES and share it with others, and I was rather skeptical about the Action 53 volume II development team will to add it to that project. However, it turned out that is was accepted, and later I had the luck to find a producer hiring me to develop higher standards and more complex and features rich games.

This is the only game I still have right and royalties on it I guess: I'm not a lawyer, but __ I didn't sell __ anything, and the only game which still has not a clear future, cart release wise: AFAIK Action 53 volume II still uncertain on its release date. It is really simple, so no big deal with that, but still, I'd like something I did to be on NES cart, if someone else thinks so and takes the risk to.

So, here I am thinking a silly idea: if anyone able to commercialize this thinks it has a bit of potential, I'm ready to sell all rights and royalties to the best bidder. I mean the exclusive (exception for its possible inclusion in Action 53 volume II mentioned above) rights to put it on cart and sell it world wide for the whole eternity, taking the whole profit. I'm a bit skeptical on the matter, but you never know.

Just send me a PM with your bid (even if little-little that's ok) in case you are interested. In the unlikely case of different bids, the highest will win. The ROM is provided as it is: it is not buggy, is fully working, but nothing else feature wise will be added: take it or leave it. For payment and any further question, just send a PM.

Thank you for your attention.

Cheers!

- user

Note: my current producer has the option to match any bid and produce it him self.

---

Original post:

Zeus and Thor woke up in a bad mood, or something.

Are you skilled enough to dodge 1007 bolts and be The Master?

Start: start / pause / unpause
Left-Right: dodge left-right (doh!)

Concept, graphic and coding by myself (first game, the next one will be better).
Public domain. Thanks to everybody gave feedback these two learning weeks.

(comments are welcome)

Cheers!

Edited: 11/28/2015 at 06:28 PM by user

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:48:31 AM
KHAN Games (88)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Congrats on finishing your first game.

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:04:16 AM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Awesome! I'll see if it runs on my Everdrive Looks like a fun little game.

Love your avatar btw

-------------------------

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:27:44 AM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Thanks for the release!

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:34:52 AM
SUBSCRIBER
cirellio (47)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
cool!

Instagram
Wishlist

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:36:08 AM
jfreakofkorn (18)
< King Solomon >
United States
aw cool ...

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:16:10 PM
Vectrex28 (120)
(A Metroid) < Bowser >
Switzerland
Nice. Is it normal that the game goes pitch black at some time?

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:06:17 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Congrats on finishing your first game.

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Thanks for the release!

Originally posted by: cirellio

cool!

Originally posted by: jfreakofkorn

aw cool ...

Thanks to all for all this enthusiastic feedback. Appreciated.
It was fun programming it.

Originally posted by: NESMASTER14

Awesome! I'll see if it runs on my Everdrive Looks like a fun little game.

Love your avatar btw
Thanks. If you or anyone else can test this on a real Nes hardware and let me know about it this would be awesome.

Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

Nice. Is it normal that the game goes pitch black at some time?
Well, if you get to the Master level, ie you dodge all the 1007 bolts, the screen goes black, the main sprite goes in the center of the screen, and the game freezes and goes in victory status. This is pretty much the victory screen.

So, if you got there without cheating, congrats! You are the First Master!

I can get to Champion level without cheating, but to test the victory screen I cheated in the code (starting the game from close to 1007 bolts).

Also, after any game over, you push start to clear up the screen (ie exit game over mode), and push start again on the black screen to restart the game.

In any other case, I guess maybe that could be a bug. Is anyone else experiencing that?
Any screen shot or a description of what and when it happens?

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated!

Cheers all!

Edit: typo correction

Edited: 06/23/2014 at 05:13 PM by user

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:29:51 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: user

Thanks. If you or anyone else can test this on a real Nes hardware and let me know about it this would be awesome.

Works great on a PowerPak on a NES.  Fun game!

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:36:08 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Mog

Originally posted by: user

Works great on a PowerPak on a NES.  Fun game!

Wow, that was quick!

Thanks man, appreciated!

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:24:52 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
looks great

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:22:04 AM
johnblueriggs (27)
(John Riggs) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Very cool!

@johnblueriggs on Twitter, Instagram and all gaming platforms (Wii U, PSN, ect.)

YouTube at RIGG'd Games

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:33:34 PM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Fun little game. I got to champion level on my first try.
Not bad for your first game, and made in only 2 weeks?
That is great.
Keep up the good work.

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:52:34 PM
tepples (0)
(Damian Yerrick) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
I've been told you would like this game included in the next Action 53 community multicart. I tried it, and it seemed playable. The sideways motion was fast in a touchy sort of way, but I quickly made champion after I figured out the trick of concentrating on holes to the left and right. Then I looked at the ROM in a hex editor. The area that isn't zero-filled is so small that it'd probably be best to fit it in the same PRG ROM bank as a bunch of other games. But to do this, I'd need source code or at least relocatable ca65 object code. Are you comfortable with sharing this, or would you prefer to send it privately?

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:54:56 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: nes_pimp

looks great

Originally posted by: johnblueriggs

Very cool!

Wow! Thanks to all for your feedback!
I'm rather surprised from all this enthusiasm for this little silly game.

Originally posted by: Benihana

Fun little game. I got to champion level on my first try.
Not bad for your first game, and made in only 2 weeks?
That is great.

I registered to download NN tutorials, so that's more like a bit over 3 weeks since I start learning. Before that, I could (badly) program in Basic and Python, but I had no clue about Assembly.

Actually, besides for the background management (which is rather tough), I found Nes programming way easier than program a video game for windows.

The game itself toke only some hours: I was lucky, trying to graphically display the output of this RNG, I thought about this concept for a game, from there was just matter to add some minimal graphics and a minimal "game engine".

Good part of the merit goes to people like bunnyboy and the others writing stuff to make the learning process easy, and to the ones giving feedback to my questions these weeks.

Actually, here another advice I'd like to ask to the experienced Nes programmers in here: besides the tutorials linked on this forum sticky, what is really worth reading about Nes programming? NesDev for example is really vast, and is time consuming to check every thread looking for what you need to learn right next.

So if someone can give me a short list of "next you must know!" things to read, that would be appreciated.

Originally posted by: Benihana

Keep up the good work.
On the long run, I have of course a project a bit more ambitious that this.

Cheers!

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:57:04 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: tepples

I've been told you would like this game included in the next Action 53 community multicart. I tried it, and it seemed playable. The sideways motion was fast in a touchy sort of way, but I quickly made champion after I figured out the trick of concentrating on holes to the left and right. Then I looked at the ROM in a hex editor. The area that isn't zero-filled is so small that it'd probably be best to fit it in the same PRG ROM bank as a bunch of other games. But to do this, I'd need source code or at least relocatable ca65 object code. Are you comfortable with sharing this, or would you prefer to send it privately?
Wow, thanks!

Sure, is in public domain, no problem.
Can you give me like 24 hours to clean it up before I post it?

Thanks!

Cheers.

Jun 24, 2014 at 2:20:35 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

I sent the files to: NESHomebrew [at] ******.*** (<< * to avoid spam)
I sent you a PM about them.
Let me now if you need me to rewrite them, or anything else.

Thanks for now!

Cheers!

Edited: 06/24/2014 at 02:21 PM by user

Jun 24, 2014 at 7:46:26 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Proveaux (77)
(Proveaux Proveaux) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

(Wife)Someone got 3 packages and it wasn't me...(Me)What are they?(Wife)I dunno. Tapes. Or whatever u call those things.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:34:39 PM
tepples (0)
(Damian Yerrick) < Tourian Tourist >
United States
Today I had a look at the source code and wrote a Python program to translate it to a dialect that ca65 understands.
Source get!

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:49:44 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Proveaux

Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

Today I had a look at the source code and wrote a Python program to translate it to a dialect that ca65 understands.
Source get!

Cool! I'm glad that you could "translate" it somehow. Great!
I hope you didn't wast too much time on this task.
So it is going to be included in the multicart? Is this "official" now?

Thanks!

- user

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:08:53 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Hi all!

I wrote this code just for the sake to code something for the NES and share it with others, and I was rather skeptical about the Action 53 volume II development team will to add it to that project. However, it turned out that is was accepted, and later I had the luck to find a producer hiring me to develop higher standards and more complex and features rich games.

This is the only game I still have right and royalties on it I guess: I'm not a lawyer, but __ I didn't sell __ anything), and the only game which still has not a clear future, cart release wise: AFAIK Action 53 volume II still uncertain on its release date. It is really simple, so no big deal with that, but still, I'd like something I did to be on NES cart, if someone else thinks so and takes the risk to.

So, here I am thinking a silly idea: if anyone able to commercialize this thinks it has a bit of potential, I'm ready to sell all rights and royalties to the best bidder. I mean the exclusive (exception for its possible inclusion in Action 53 volume II mentioned above) rights to put it on cart and sell it world wide for the whole eternity, taking the whole profit. I'm a bit skeptical on the matter, but you never know.

Just send me a PM with your bid (even if little-little that's ok) in case you are interested. In the unlikely case of different bids, the highest will win. The ROM is provided as it is: it is not buggy, is fully working, but nothing else feature wise will be added: take it or leave it. For payment and any further question, just send a PM.

Thank you for your attention.

Cheers!

- user

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:30:33 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Sold. I could find a producer willing to acquire the rights to put this ROM on cart.
A sincere thank you to all the nice people here showing interest for a possible deal.

Here the game starting screen which I designed.

Cheers!

- user