Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew C**t Punch: The Revenge of the Harbinger Homebrew in Development - Demo ROM 1/7/15

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:38:24 PM
Mario's Right Nut (350)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
D-PAD on controller 2 shoots.
. Cunt. Had to censor for work peeps.

1/7/14 - Update

So, I haven't had time to work on this very much in the past couple months.  I figured I'd post another demo ROM just cause when I do have time, I'll probably get distracted with a Christmas game I thought of and would like to release next holiday season.  Simple NROM game.

Anyway, this one shows the progress of enemy construction and such.  They are in the reverse order of how I programmed them, most recent first.  The first one isn't done, it needs an explosion pattern.  Enjoy.

10/2/14 - Update

I added a couple more ships.  

1. "S-Ships" for want of a better term.  Basically green blobs that take a 3rd order polynomial path across the screen and look neat.  I honestly just wanted to see if putting that many things on the screen would break it.  But it didn't.  It looks pretty cool with the swarm following each other.  Reminds me of that scene in Close Encounters when they watch all the ships chase each other.  

2.  I added a Tardis type enemy.  They take a parabolic trajectory across the screen and shoot at you as they pass you by.  It's a pain in the ass as the missles are hard to avoid.  They look neat though and actually look like a Tardis.  I'll probably use the missle type as another enemy.  Maybe a swarm of them or something.  

After this I ran into a nasty bug that took me 2 days to find.  Basically the enemy counter wasn't working and it kept throwing off random parts of the explosions in all directions.  It made no sense that the two seemingly unrelated things could mess you up that bad...but it did.  Anyway, I forgot to set a sprite type on a couple explosion slaves (the right hand side of the sprite which is slaved to the dominate sprite) and, as a result, it was using whatever happened to be in the RAM address (from the previous sprite).  When it did this, the explosion half moved like the random sprite type AND, when it reset after going off the screen, altered the counter so the program's bad guy count was f-ed up.  20-20 hindsight, but it was frustrating.  I had no idea what was happening and thought it was 2 bugs.

Anyway, right now, with no encouragement from the user blowing shit up, it takes about a minute for the sprite sequence to run.  The background goes for about 2:51, so we have some more work to do!!

9/30/14 - Update

I'm pretty sure on the name, sure enough to change the thread title.  Mostly because of the look on my gf's face when I told her this was the direction in which I was leaning.  

I finished the Ori ships.  They basically move like a sine wave down the screen.  They'll damage you if you run into them and explode into 8 pieces if you shoot them.  Pretty neat, if I do say so myself.

Hallowed are the Ori.  

9/25/14 - Updates

This update took a lot longer than it needed to because I'm a dumbass.  Let's leave it at that.

I changed the pattern in which the two Enterprise bad guys come on the screen.  It's not just a progression across the screen.  It's a little more advanced.

Next, I added another badguy, the "Cross" just cause that's how it's shaped.  These just make their way across the screen...unless you shoot them.  Then they stop and you have a certain amount of time to kill them or they explode sending bullets scattering around the screen.  It's actually a little challenging, especally when you're running around blowing shit up.  It's got different sounds and explosions depending on how you get hit.  

The next ship I'll imput is based on SG1 Ori ships.  They will do something and explode if you shoot them.  

9/23/14 - Updates

So, I've done quite a bit in a short time.  

First, I added a second bad guy, sorta.  I basically made the Enterprise guys green/purple and made them shoot up from the bottom.  But in doing so, I made a sprite engine.  It can load different #s of guys at different intervals with various palletts, etc.  Just needs time to add new guys.  I have sprites ready, just need to get to it.   But I've been distracted:

Second, I was running out of processing time.  Strictly speaking, running everything every frame isn't necessary...and here's why.  As long as you keep the timer running, you're not going to notice if the on screen timer updates only run at 30fps.  Same thing with the score display.  There are a couple of other things like that.  

Also, sprite cycling takes a long, fucking, long time.  Like almost 40 scanlines.  I must be doing it wrong.  Anyway, the solution?  Run cycling one frame, run the updates above the next, and flip flop.  Kinda evens out and "saves" a shit load of time.  

Problem:  everything I've seen thus far has the NMI write to $4014 for sprite DMA as a hard coded #...why?  So, if we use a variable, we can use $0200 one frame (for the uncycled sprites) and $0700 the next (for the cycled ones).  That way we always use the $0200 block to update sprites and just copy it every time we need to flip/flop the sprite order.  Reverse engineering FTW.  

Next, I went through and consolidated a lot of shit.  I removed some short loops that were not necessary (while trying to minimize processing time, not space) and removed some unnecessary things (like the writing $FE to both the horz and vert part of a sprite when moving it off screen.  If you program right, you only need vert).  This didn't help much, but it helped me find some dumbass attacks and runs a tad faster.  

I also removed the various bugs I encountered while doing this.  Ufda.

Next, I removed 2 of the bullets.    So, rather than firing 3 bulletts from each drone in tri fire mode, it fires 1 from each drone and 2 from the center.  You wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't told you.  This reduced the total number of bullett sprites by 6...and thus reducing the total from 18 to 12.  It didn't make a big difference in game play, but EVERY routine using this number is reduced by 1/3.  Background collisions, loading, moving, sprite collisions, etc...all reduced by 1/3.  

The result of all this was the removal of the processing time issues.  I think that I might run into it again in the future, but we'll see what happens.  There are always ways around it.

Next, I had just about filled up one of the static banks...so I had to reorganize.  Copy/paste and we're golden...but still have half the static space filled.  This may result in some fancy bank switching, but not today.  Hard to believe that I filled that up without including any data tables!!  (I ususally use a seperate file [with .include] for each bank, or each routine if I feel fancy.  This keeps it organized.)  

I've also been watching long plays on YouTube of various SHMUPs just to see what's been done and to come up with some ideas.  It's all been done before, so it's not stealing, right???

I like the swaying they do in Recca...I might do this in level transitions just to see if I can make it work.  

9/18/14 
Today I managed a little work.  Nothing too spectatular for as long as it took.

First, I made a death routine.  I used the ramdom function in excel to come up with an explosion pattern for when your ship dies.  Pretty bad ass, actually.  This took a while to figure out as it involved transitioning from one game state to another while seamlessly finishing off whatever badguys, bulletts, etc. were still on the screen.  Then I had to make sure that if your ship was too close to one of the edges, the explosions didn't overlap on the other side of the screen.

I also lessened the health of the background destruct-o-blocks.  Makes for a faster paced game and provides easy access to killing bad guys.  I also decreased (by 50%) the amount of time between the time the harbinger can fire and fire again.  Still only 3 sets of bulletts, but with the faster firing, you blow shit up faster and can save yourself from badguys better.  

Second, I made a new life initiation.  It's pretty simple, but it gets you going again where you left off and displays how many guys you have left.  Here I ran into some issues with scrolling and the limits I set so the CPU wouldn't be overrun.  Anyway, it's fixed and works.  Not sure what to do next!!  Probably add new bad guys.  

9/17/14
Updated ROM attached.  I haven't had much time to work on this recently, but I thought I'd post my progress cause I like me and so do you.  

New features include bad guys, more or less.  The rest of the features were in the last version, it just wasn't active in that ROM unless you tried really hard to find it.  
-Bad guys don't do much yet, but they function about how I want them.  Just need to make them move around.
-Special blocks release extra point multipliers, drones, and the tri fire upgrade.
-Drones can be destroyed independently.
-Tri fire and drone bonuses increase health.
-If you're hit, you'll loose your tri fire, then bonus multiplier, then health.  

The main problem is CPU time.  I am trying to think of ways to modify it so that certain routines are excluded when it's updating the background, but I may have to calm down some things cause it's still overrunning the time.  The sprite routines are pretty salty, so we'll see where this game takes me!  

Oh, and I also have a name more or less picked out.  Thanks to he suggested it, you know who you are. 

"Cunt Punch:  The Revenge of the Harbinger"

Suggestions are welcome!!  

4/27/14
So, I've been wanting to follow up The Grind with a new game.  I think that the video explains it very well.  I'd be interested in any and all comments.  See the demo ROM attached.

Thanks!!

-------------------------

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 09:22 AM by Mario's Right Nut

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:11:12 PM
Mario's Right Nut (350)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas

Fucking computer.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:16:07 PM
DoNotWant (1)

(Ham Sammich) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
Nice! I really like that music.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:34:41 PM
Mario's Right Nut (350)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
The music is level 4 from the grind as a placeholder. Forgot about that! Haven't made new stuff yet.

Check out my dev blog.

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:05:37 PM
Duke.Togo (111)
(Christopher Cantrell) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
I like the thrust mechanics as a control mechanism. Takes a minute to get used to, but it allows for a lot of freedom of movement.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:03:08 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (165)
(Justin ) < Kraid Killer >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Duke.Togo

I like the thrust mechanics as a control mechanism.

Definately agree!!

Pretty cool

Apr 29, 2014 at 5:21:41 AM
Mario's Right Nut (350)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Thanks for the feedback!

I take it everyone's worked out that shooting is the P2 d-pad and the upgrades are functional?

Check out my dev blog.

May 1, 2014 at 11:03:59 AM
Roth (66)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
MAAAAAN, we have a shooter with Smash TV style play coming out in the future! Damn it man. Anyway, looks pretty coo' so far bro, keep up the good work!

http://slydogstudios.org...

May 1, 2014 at 11:10:52 AM
GibbyVA (32)
(NESCAPADES ) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Subbed thread. Very cool project. So many great looking hb's in the works atm.

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

May 1, 2014 at 11:43:54 AM
Paul (224)
(Paul ) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I can't wait!!!!!!!

Keep up the awesome work Nutter....

May 2, 2014 at 2:04:48 AM
DoNotWant (1)

Sweden
Originally posted by: Mario's Right Nut

The music is level 4 from the grind as a placeholder. Forgot about that! Haven't made new stuff yet.

Crap, I haven't gotten past level 1 yet, my only lonely controller needs a thorough cleaning before I try again.

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:52:45 PM
Mario's Right Nut (350)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Bump. Try it. You know you want to.

Check out my dev blog.

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:13:32 PM
Mega Mario Man (58)
(Tim ) < Kraid Killer >
Nebraska
oh boy! I hope to try this tonight! Thanks MRN!

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:51:19 PM
NESHomebrew (20)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Love the tunes!

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:49:20 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (165)
(Justin ) < Kraid Killer >
Pennsylvania

Tried!  Pretty cool, though the destructable environment being in so many areas makes hitting the enemies hard as hell, especially if you are down to your last gun.

Really like it though, still dig the thrust mechanics and directional shooting.

Also, why does select change the backdrop?  Is that just a way to quickly test different levels?

Edited: 09/17/2014 at 07:49 PM by neodolphino

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:10:12 PM
Blue Ember (59)
(Jesse Thorn) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
This is great, you make some of the coolest damn games ever!

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:36:32 AM
MadnessVX (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
Texas
Awesome, can't wait for this to be finished!

Checkout my NES development blog!
http://facility15.blogspot.com/...

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:03:50 AM
DoctorNick (71)
(Nick ) < El Ripper >
Ohio
I looove the Grind! Excited to hear more about this bad boy! Also is there a way to get copies of your other releases? I mean excluding buying them off another member here who picked them up at release.

"100% agree. I'll never bargain shop for tattoos or condoms."  -thenickross 2015

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:57:23 AM
Mario's Right Nut (350)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
Originally posted by: neodolphino

Tried!  Pretty cool, though the destructable environment being in so many areas makes hitting the enemies hard as hell, especially if you are down to your last gun.

Really like it though, still dig the thrust mechanics and directional shooting.

Also, why does select change the backdrop?  Is that just a way to quickly test different levels?
Each background block can be set to whatever "health" one wants.  I agree with you though, it's a little high for as much as there is.  I'll pobably lower it to a single hit for the majority of the background.  I'll probably increase the number of upgrades and such hidden throughout.  

The thrust stuff is fun once you figure it out.  It still confuses me when I get into a bad situation!!

Select is for debugging.  It's easier to cycle through the screens without scrolling than it is to find an error in a massive, continous stream of data. 

Originally posted by: Blue Ember

This is great, you make some of the coolest damn games ever!

My e-penis thanks you!!  

Originally posted by: DoctorNick

I looove the Grind! Excited to hear more about this bad boy! Also is there a way to get copies of your other releases? I mean excluding buying them off another member here who picked them up at release.

I'm not going to make any more.  Your best bet is to find one from someone!  At some point I may release the ROMs and/or source code, but every time I think about it, I think of a reason not to.  

Check out my dev blog.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:10:57 PM
Mega Mario Man (58)
(Tim ) < Kraid Killer >
Nebraska
The thrust is just frustrating with a keyboard. I get so confused, lol.

Animation seems smooth and graphics are great. I had volume off, so I didn't get to hear the tunes, unfortunately. I cycled through the backgrounds until I broke it lol.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:29:02 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Played a bit on FcEux emulator.

Issues noted:
- when inverting direction (fi going left for a while and then right) it doesn't take the input.
- there are two gray lines flickering in the middle of the screen.

Thanks for posting it.

Cheers!

- user

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:19:25 PM
DoNotWant (1)

Sweden
Originally posted by: user

Played a bit on FcEux emulator.

Issues noted:
- when inverting direction (fi going left for a while and then right) it doesn't take the input.
- there are two gray lines flickering in the middle of the screen.

Thanks for posting it.

Cheers!

- user
NMI usage indicator?

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:22:48 PM
Mario's Right Nut (350)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
The direction input has 3 speeds in each direction. So, tapping up once will be low speed, tap again for medium speed, tap again for fast. Then, as you tap down while going up fast, medium up, low up, stop, low down, medium down, fast down. etc.

The two gray lines is one gray line. It's the CPU-o-meter.

Check out my dev blog.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:52:58 PM
srh201 (112)
(Hootie McBoobins D.N.S.) < Bowser >
United States
love me some MRN homebrewin'

Look, if you don't like the things that I post, don't PM me about it and don't start a war in a thread. Just FOE ME so you don't have to read my posts! That's why Dain put it there! Use it!!!

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:27:37 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

The direction input has 3 speeds in each direction.
Ah... ok. Interesting control system. I'll try it again then.

The two gray lines is one gray line. It's the CPU-o-meter.
Excuse my ignorance. What's that?
(if you have time to explain, of course).

Thanks for the reply!
@DoNotWant too

- user