Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Johnny Phantom's Game Boy Color - Built in Battery Pack Mod! Should work without a problem, can anyone see a potential issue?

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:58:29 AM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
(John k Arpin) < Lolo Lord >
Rhode Island
Hi Everyone!

I'm not sure if someone tried this method yet. I've seen alot of PSP battery pack mods, or external packs. But I wanted something internal and would not require any shell modifications. Also since I did a Frontlight mod, rechargeable batteries are the way to go.

I was at my local game/comic store. Where I saw this on the used accessory rack.

Being transparant, I could see the circuits inside... Hmmm... I thought... I could strip down that circuit board and install that internally into my GBC. And it was $2 so why not give it a go?

So I opened the housing and did a quick install into my spare/pos GBC to see if it would work. I connected the power leads to the power jack, and the rechargeable cell leads to the battery connectors. I threw it all together, closed the case, and installed the rechargeable AA sized cells into the GBC, I ran them thill they were dead. I then plugged in a normal GBC AC adapter (3V 200ma) and waited. and looks like its working! The battery charges with no problems.

I did re-do the wiring and removed the board, and now it looks like this, (I did move the green wire attached to P4 to outside that printed square since the shell was hitting it) But so far so good! Can anyone see any potiential issues doing it this way?

Also, one nice thing I have now (I think since I grouned the 2 Pin from the AC jack to the Battery ternaiml negative) is that whenever I plug or unplug the AC jack to run off battery power, the system no longer resets, as it would normally when switching power sources. No more scarey moments when I'm in the middle of a intesne Metapod VS Metapod battle in Poke'mon Yellow and the battery light starts to go dim, I can just plug in and continue!

Now this mod isn't long term tested, Just a weekend so far, but no issues found. I'm hoping someone can point out any poitental issues with my method that I may have missed, but so far so good!! ^-^

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:09:16 PM
bennybtl (15)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Nice! I saw one of those packs recently at a thrift store and didn't buy it (it was NIB). Now I wish I had!

-------------------------

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:13:06 PM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
(John k Arpin) < Lolo Lord >
Rhode Island
I don't think you need the pack as much as just the diode and resistor, from what I can tell its a 1 ohm resistor (color stripes are brown black gold gold) and the diode looks to be the one below (based upon the numbers I pulled off of it). So those, solder them in, and use any AA Rechargeable batteries should do the trick.

Diode - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007V2LM...

Edited: 03/10/2014 at 03:34 PM by JohnnyPhantom