Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Best score of all: Finding your lost childhood games Basement clean-out yields a personal score

Oct 01 at 9:37:23 PM
teh lurv (109)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
I've been helping to clean out the basement to my mother's house on an on-and-off basis. I decided this evening to start tackling a large bookshelf next to the door to the garage, as it is stuffed with old boxes and papers going back decades. I pulled of one of the shelves a large Zildjian cardboard box, expecting to find one of my late Grandfather's old instruments. I was surprised to find the word "Atari" written out in his handwriting on the top of the box. I opened it up, and my childhood 2600 and games were stashed inside! I thought the 2600 and games were thrown away years ago. For some reason, my Grandfather had put them aside and never told me.

The original AC adapter was dead, but once I grabbed a extra adapter the console fired right up. The controllers unfortunately barely work and have moldy, icky look and feel to them. The games look and work great, and my Grandfather tossed in the instruction manuals and boxes for a couple of the games (which were sadly crushed by the weight of the stuff over the years). I have really fond memories of playing Snoopy & Ghostbusters, I overpaid a game store for a beat up copy of Snoopy awhile back just so I could own it again. I didn't know this when I was a kid, but the 2600 my family bought me years ago is none other than a heavy-sixer.   This was a nice find, this really made my day!

-------------------------
My FS/FT thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

My Mario Maker Levels:
F498-0000-0040-2217 - Wall Slide or Die

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Edited: 10/02/2017 at 12:17 AM by teh lurv

Oct 01 at 9:49:57 PM
Loxx O))) (11)
(Fat Man Kraid) < King Solomon >
Washington
That's pretty cool, man. Enjoy the console and games. Wish I had my Atari stuff from childhood.

Oct 01 at 9:56:09 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Damn, I need rampage and blue label Ghostbusters for my Activision set. Child you had good taste in games!

Oct 01 at 10:12:13 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Loxx O)))

Wish I had my Atari stuff from childhood.

Me, too. I want to believe that my Atari and games are in my aunt's storage room at her house. But I think that they might have been sold by mistake in a garage sale my parents had circa 1998 when I was in college.

I would have searched for them last time I was there, but she has a shitload of stuff in that room and I didn't have time to poke around. It's seriously wall to wall, floor to ceiling boxes my family dumped there.

Oct 01 at 10:32:03 PM
mydogsrule (156)

(Jonathan Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
Wow that would've been exciting

Oct 01 at 10:32:30 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Man by the time I was born, Atari was long dead  

Oct 01 at 10:35:00 PM
A2600 (15)
(Bryan Garcia) < Meka Chicken >
Florida
My grandmother tossed mines just becouse the power cord had ripped. It was my dads vader and all of his 45 games.

Ah, so you found the secret room, eh? Bask in the glory of a Mario Trilogy, a Pair of Zeldas and a Sextet of Megamans. Yes this is the little grey box that could and continues to do. What lies ahead is entirely up to you. YOU DECIDE

Oct 01 at 10:48:03 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: Bert

Atari will never die!

*firing up Basic Math*

Oct 01 at 10:51:49 PM
Loxx O))) (11)
(Fat Man Kraid) < King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Me, too. I want to believe that my Atari and games are in my aunt's storage room at her house. But I think that they might have been sold by mistake in a garage sale my parents had circa 1998 when I was in college.

I would have searched for them last time I was there, but she has a shitload of stuff in that room and I didn't have time to poke around. It's seriously wall to wall, floor to ceiling boxes my family dumped there.

My mom told me she gave it all away to Salvation Army when I was a kid... it's awesome wanting to go play your games only for it to be missing and get that as a response.

Oct 01 at 10:59:33 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Originally posted by: Bert

Atari will never die!

*firing up Basic Math*

basic programming is where it's at😎

Oct 01 at 11:03:26 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California

My mom told me she gave it all away to Salvation Army when I was a kid... it's awesome wanting to go play your games only for it to be missing and get that as a response.

When my parents moved from my hometown to out here, they had some boxes with my old stuff. I assumed my Atari was in one of them, but never checked at that time. Years later I went through them but didn't find it.

I know they stored some stuff at my aunt's place and my dad retrieved some of it, but still no Atari. So it's either still at my aunt's or long gone. 

Nothing to write home about, just Space Invaders, Yars Revenge, maybe the rarest was the port of Mario Bros (which is actually a damn good port) or Desert Falcon.

I will say teh lurv has some great games. Video Olympics is a blast with other players, especially Quadrapong. 

Oct 01 at 11:06:46 PM
captmorgandrinker (549)
(Throw apples at NESDJ) < Bonk >
Ohio
Nice! I ended up with the family 7800 when my Dad said "Hey, nobody plays that, so you might as well take it with you".

Oct 02 at 9:06:49 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Sign Collector Guy (1)
(Benjamin ) < El Ripper >
Iowa
Awesome!

Oct 02 at 9:11:37 AM
rlh (36)
( Potatoe!) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
I'm just gonna say, let's pour one out for all the grandpa's of the late-70s/early-80s who kept all of the boxes, manuals and registration cards not because of collectibility but coz they came from the depression era and you don't throw away anything.

[My FO/FT and WTTF NA Posts]
~ OR ~
[GameValueNow.com List: WTTF]

Edited: 10/02/2017 at 09:11 AM by rlh

Oct 02 at 10:35:03 AM
Meteor_of_War (15)
< Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
It is a great feeling indeed.  Last year I had a similar experience when I found an old box of my Sega Saturn/Genesis stuff at my parents' house that I thought was lost.  Turned out I just forgot to take it when I moved out back in early 2000's.

I am still hoping my Atari 2600 is somewhere in their mess of a basement, but I don't have the nerve to start digging for it just yet. 

*My NA Seller thread*
*My Local Find's Thread*

Edited: 10/02/2017 at 10:35 AM by Meteor_of_War

Oct 02 at 1:16:35 PM
8thStPHX (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Very cool! I know the feeling. A few years ago I went on a wild goose chase in my parent's attic for my old NES boxes I knew I kept, but I wasn't sure weren't later thrown away. Turns out they weren't and I found a majority of my stash! A semi-heavy hitter was included as you can see...

Oct 02 at 1:23:07 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: 8thStPHX

Very cool! I know the feeling. A few years ago I went on a wild goose chase in my parent's attic for my old NES boxes I knew I kept, but I wasn't sure weren't later thrown away. Turns out they weren't and I found a majority of my stash! A semi-heavy hitter was included as you can see...
Holy cow!

Your parents were one of the few that got you that game?  

Oct 02 at 2:52:15 PM
TheFinder (34)
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois
That's really awesome teh lurv! Congrats!

I don't have anything quite like that, but like captmorgandrinker, I got my grandparents' Super Nintendo because no one was playing it. I got the system, the games, and the tv stand it used to be on. They offered me the tv, which had the channel dial with like 10 channels on it, but I refused. Still regret that one a bit.

To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Oct 02 at 3:26:53 PM
LostLevel83 (138)
< Meka Chicken >
Oklahoma
Congrats! I imagine the feeling was similar to when I helped my dad unpack boxes last month and found his record collection from the 70s that I had listened to as a kid. Thought they were long gone.

I like pizza.

Oct 02 at 4:16:03 PM
8thStPHX (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona

Originally posted by: 8thStPHX

Holy cow!

Your parents were one of the few that got you that game?  

Yeah, haha.  I had to convince them it was for learning purposes.  All I really cared about was getting more games, regardless of their quality.  I was chasing the neighborhood kid that had dozens of games... I never came close to his quantity.