Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

DK 64 controller for $12 - employee had me nervous New post at the end!

Apr 29 at 11:10:24 AM
broncofantd793 (23)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Today's storms in the Louisvile area kept most people away from sales.  I myself am already home.  There was a sale that listed "video games" for sale.  I was expecting heavy competition.  Unbeknownst to me, the time of the sale was pushed back due to rain until 10AM.  I was there at 7:45AM and could see people getting ready inside.  Being a coward of sorts, I left and went to a subdivision sale.  While at the other sales, something was eating away at me.  I needed to go back and see what was there, because if I heard "you just missed it" or "sorry, all sold," I might've cried.  

I approached the house in the rain and explained what I was looking for.  After being invited in, I realized that they had everything from pc to pinball to arcade to consoles.  To my benefit, the rain prevented the sellers (a very nice couple) from pricing everything out on eBay.  The game stuff included n64, OG xbox, SNES, ps2, dreamcast, sega saturn, and NES.  All had been priced out to eBay prices other than the SNES stuff.  It was divided into a sentimental pile (father in-laws games) and a $50 for sale pile (system and $100 worth of games).  At first, I purchased the for sale SNES pile and a few wii games.  The seller wanted me to buy everyting, but I didn't have enough cash, and given that controllers, cords, and games were lacking for the remaining consoles, I said I would go get more cash and we could discuss it.  They were very nice about the whole thing.  I was clearly shaking nervous.

During my trip to the ATM, I thought about that box of SNES games.  While I don't know much about the SNES, I decided if I get them at $5 a game or less, it'd be worth the risk to bring back to NA.  Upon my return to the house, the cracking lighting and thunderstorms had began to lighten up.  I knew that it was only a matter of time before other buyers showed up.  I immediately bought the Dreamcast console for $40 (I've never owned one) in hopes of re-breaking the ice.  I turned to the sentimental pile of SNES games and asked if they'd sell for a crazy price.  The husband said no, that eBay prices were this and that.  Emphatically, his wife echoed those sentiments.  I did my best to look shocked, and I quoted eBay/PayPal fees along with PayPals 120 day policy being risky, since most of the games are former rentals and are beat up, perfect for a scam.

Once I said this, the wife said, you know what, we're never going to play them.  Which ones are you interested in?  I said Donkey Kong, as it was the only game of those in the box I'd ever played.  She said she'd sell it to me for $5.  I paused, and said I'd like to offer you $100 cash and carry, right here and now for the whole box.  I don't have any of these games, and I'd like to.  The husband, immediately shot it down, but the wife was my saving grace.  She accepted, saying that someone else should enjoy them.

Right before I left, I got contact informaton for the gentleman, as he may have some N64 stuff hidden in a box somewhere.  I was super excited and thankful to check this stuff out.  As soon as I got home and realized that MegaMan 7 in the wild was a crazy find, I knew I had to share this brief story!  All total for everything in the photo, I spent $193 and will be testing for the rest of the day

!  

Thanks for reading!

Edited: 09/17/2017 at 03:47 PM by broncofantd793

Apr 29 at 11:27:20 AM
TheFinder (34)
< Kraid Killer >
Illinois
That's amazing! Nice score! You'll have to update this if you get the N64 games, too!

-------------------------
To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 29 at 3:08:50 PM
jfreakofkorn (18)
< King Solomon >
United States
nice snag there ...

Apr 29 at 3:52:16 PM
LastCat (54)
(Top Cat) < El Ripper >
Puerto Rico
Good haul right there!

Apr 29 at 4:00:28 PM
Loxx O))) (11)
(Fat Man Kraid) < King Solomon >
Washington
2 Mega Man X' s and a 7? Those are about worth what you paid.

Apr 29 at 6:59:01 PM
firebrand (44)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
What's up with that SNES?

Apr 29 at 7:51:08 PM
broncofantd793 (23)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Originally posted by: firebrand

The husband did mods at one time (I passed on an xbox and xbox 360) and this was a "Famicom" paint job.  

Apr 29 at 8:56:36 PM
firebrand (44)
(Alex ) < Meka Chicken >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: broncofantd793

Originally posted by: firebrand

The husband did mods at one time (I passed on an xbox and xbox 360) and this was a "Famicom" paint job.  

Looks cool. Wonder what the Xboxs looked like 

Apr 30 at 7:46:45 AM
broncofantd793 (23)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
The OG xbox was still black with only a few blemishes.  The 360 was a pastel mint green.  

Jun 03 at 1:27:36 PM
broncofantd793 (23)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Today, I begrudgingly decided to go out to a single local community sale since it was close. I skipped the ones opening today, since this one was 10 minutes away. Although it was the second day of the sale, and everyone told me they'd either already sold most of their games, had been asked for more games, or had sold them ahead of time via e-mail, I took a chance and stopped.  I found 2 of these there! Then, I went to the flea market and found the 3rd one. In no particular order, I paid $0.50, $5, and $50 for a total of $55.50. Just as I've been transitioning to just buying online, this hobby pulls me back in!

Cubivore
Einhander
Conkers Bad Fur Day

Imgure link: http://imgur.com/a/F0L2N...

Edited: 06/03/2017 at 01:46 PM by broncofantd793

Jun 03 at 1:36:45 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (157)
< Master Higgins >
United States

Today, I begrudgingly decided to go out to a single local community sale since it was close. I skipped the ones opening today, since this one was 10 minutes away. Although it was the second day of the sale, and everyone told me they'd either already sold most of their games, had been asked for more games, or had sold them ahead of time via e-mail, I took a chance and stopped.  I found 2 of these there! Then, I went to the flea market and found the 3rd one. In no particular order, I paid $0.50, $5, and $50 for a total of $55.50. Just as I've been transitioning to just buying online, this hobby pulls me back in!

Pic is not loading. What did you end up picking up?

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

FS/FT/FO Here: Click This.

Jun 03 at 1:43:04 PM
broncofantd793 (23)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

Pic is not loading. What did you end up picking up?

Cubivore on GC
Einhander on PS1 and
Conkers on N64

Will add an imgur link instead!

Jun 03 at 2:02:02 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (157)
< Master Higgins >
United States
Niiiiiiice!  

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

FS/FT/FO Here: Click This.

Sep 17 at 3:55:42 PM
broncofantd793 (23)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Today, I went to a store that normally has a retro game section that is pretty substantial for the area. The games are often overpriced, and the only things that tend to move are Marios, Zeldas, etc. Last Saturday (9/9), I went there and they had a plethora of N64 games at or BELOW eBay and GVN. I mulled picking up Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 just to trade, but I was feeling stingy and passed over them because of label damage. After talking with an employee, I learned that they'd been brought in and priced on 9/7. This stores leaves the date of intake on the price tag. Additionally, the employee encouraged me to bring in anything video game related, as they were growing their inventory. To keep this short, I only ended up purchasing a PC copy of Turok, and I planned on returning today with a few games and accessories I was tired of re-listing on eBay.

Upon my return this morning, I drop off my items to be sold. With a 30 minute wait time (which is short here), I decided to wander through the store and see if the previous week's games and a CIB Blitz 2000 had been sold. It was clear that the Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario 64 had been bought. I found the CIB Blitz 2000 and a copy of Rocket Robot on Wheels, anticipating I'd probably get $20 in trade credit and owe $25 in cash. As I walked back to the counter, I saw this (https://imgur.com/a/pyXk5...) bad boy poking out on the side of the accessories rack. I was excited to see see a yellow n64 controller since I haven't had one in awhile. When I turned it around fully and saw it was a DK 64 controller for $12, my heart rate jumped. It jumped again when I saw that it too was priced on 9/7. I HAD MISSED THIS THE PREVIOUS WEEK. It lasted that long!

As I'm waiting to checkout, a second employee sees me with it and strikes up a conversation. Amidst our conversation he says, "Wow that's a good choice for $12. I haven't seen a DK64 controller in a long time. I wish we had a system to match it. I wish I would have bought that! Really hard to find." I could tell he was super bummed about him not seeing this first. He had that look on his face that we all dread of someone repricing something at the register. I didn't think he would until he opened another register to deal with the checkout line. I was doing the math in my head to figure out if I would draw him and if I needed to anticipate what I would do if he tried to re-price the controller. Fortunately, a large family split into two groups at the register, and he got held up. The employee that ended up helping me didn't seem to know as much about games, and I booked it out of there.

After previously telling someone what this controller was worth about 2 years ago and missing out, I kept my mouth shut, and I got to do a happy dance on the way to my car.

Sep 17 at 4:14:43 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Nice pickup!  

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Oct 01 at 3:48:45 AM
Rudybegga (70)
(Rudolph Rofinot) < Meka Chicken >
Oregon
Is the Rocket: Robot on Wheels still there?