Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew CYO NES game

Jan 15 at 6:38:50 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: neodolphino

What are you talking about, man... Cyo was already released on cart! Two to be exact, remember?

Of course I do remember!

Thanks to a very nice friend, two prototype carts were made, one to gift my cousin for Christmas 2015, and the other as a reward to that very kind guy who manufactured them (and made sure that the ROM works on real hardware) putting from his pockets all the material needed and shipping costs!

Btw, pics or it didn't happened!  

However, two "official" prototypes being gifted or rewarded do not count as a "release", surely not as a "commercial release" of the game.

Actually, this makes you a beta tester too, so hoping that Brad won't hate me, I'll send a further version of the blurb including your name too.

For the ones not understanding all this mess that I wrote here above: around Christmas 2015 Neodolphino made two prototypes of the game, to check out if it works or real hardware. I doubt these have any collector value, however, they are "official" prototypes (whatever this means) of the game, they exist, and they were definitely authorized by the author.

Jan 15 at 6:41:34 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

Awesome! Glad to see this as a contender!

Thanks. Got your PMs too. Since I have to edit the blurb anyways to include Justin, I will also add your real name (instead of NA nick name) to the credits section, as requested.

So that everyone in the credits is credited with name lastname.

Jan 15 at 7:31:29 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (165)
(Justin ) < Kraid Killer >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: user

What are you talking about, man... Cyo was already released on cart! Two to be exact, remember?

However, two "official" prototypes being gifted or rewarded do not count as a "release", surely not as a "commercial release" of the game.

Actually, this makes you a beta tester too, so hoping that Brad won't hate me, I'll send a further version of the blurb including your name too.

I know... just pulling your leg  

Don't worry about it if it's any trouble  

Also, I'm happy this will be seeing the light of day.  I think it will be great as a part of a multi release cart!  It -is- fun  

Jan 15 at 9:38:06 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Also, I'm happy this will be seeing the light of day. I think it will be great as a part of a multi release cart! It -is- fun

Thanks!

If you wish to submit additional resources to be added to your entry, please attach them to a forum thread and link to it in your blurb.txt

Here attached the manual in pdf which I wrote and formatted, and one of the betatesters (the one with the prototype cart) proof read. It lacks special thanks, which are in the blurb file.

Edit February 3rd 2017: removed the manual .pdf file since it was not the last correct version.

Edited: 02/03/2017 at 10:18 AM by user

Jan 30 at 4:47:52 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Following the example of other participants of the NesDev Competition 2016 edition, I publish here, and in the first post of this official thread, the game ROM of CYO (my entry in such competition).

[A big thank you to SoleGooseProcuction for friendly sending my ROM back to me, allowing me to take part into this competition. Sincerely appreciated!].

Enjoy!

Jan 30 at 11:12:01 AM
Mega Mario Man (58)
(Tim ) < Kraid Killer >
Nebraska
Best of luck!

-------------------------
Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Feb 01 at 9:06:04 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

Best of luck!

Thanks matey.  

With all the fetish for NES platform games, CYO definitely needs some. Like any thing which is subjective, the quality of a game is relative to which perspective you judge from. Like originality: it is this game original? Thousands of similar space shot games exist. On the other hand, not many are taking part into the competition. So, originality +1 or -1? A more provocative product would probably take the lead here? Or overall: does an ambitious project unfinished but with huge potential ranks higher or lower than a finished, well tested, way more minimal one, with solid reliable code and well balanced difficulty? Does it matter more if it is glossy and wowing to look at, or if the mechanics and game play are fun? And yet again, what it is fun to play it is a subjective matter. If you ask me, from what my (obviously biased) tastes are, CYO is the second best entry into the competition. This is why I am a bit uncomfortable judging others entries, while I feel way more comfortable judging my work, from my own perspective; I'll do, of course, my best to be objective towards every entry, but it will not be trivial for me to find the correct abstraction between what I do like in video games and what the quality of the proposed work is.

I'd be very surprised if the French guy doesn't make it (and I hope that I'm not jinxing it here), the game is a notch above everything else in my opinion, and this said with maximum respect for the admirable effort of everyone to propose their game and give a chance to people to try out the ROM. I not too secretly hope for a 2nd place finish for CYO, but I'm well aware that it is not so trivial that anyone shares my tastes and benchmarks in matter of game aesthetics, coherence, mechanics, and product quality. So, your wishes of good luck, are definitely welcome, CYO need some!  

Feb 01 at 9:25:12 PM
SUBSCRIBER
JamesRobot (16)
(AKA JamsGobot ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
I'm glad to see CYO in the fray. It's a great shooter and I'll be playing some more tonight along with a couple of the other entries. So cool to see so many good games appearing for the Compo. Good luck, User!