Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

It exists. Sim City nintendo prototype. Back in time 2 port orchard, wa

Aug 30 at 8:11:50 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
So if it is going to Portland, does that mean the prototype was bought?

Aug 30 at 8:53:51 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
always loved the classic sim city, not very good at it i always run out of money. the original game is my favorite . i never got into the sequels or the sims series

Aug 30 at 9:23:30 PM
bubba966 (6)

(Brian S) < Crack Trooper >
Washington
Having played a copy of the proto extensively over the course of a weekend before it was supposed to have been released way back when (I've talked about it before here when wondering if anyone had made a copy public or not), I'm glad to see it finally being brought to light.

And yeah, I'd love a copy to play again. Guess I have at least one thing to look forward to at PRGE this year.

Aug 30 at 9:24:17 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
Here is the small scan i have been holding onto for years.

I do hope this is publicly released.

Edited: 08/30/2017 at 09:25 PM by zredgemz

Aug 30 at 10:26:58 PM
Jono1874 (20)
(Mega Man) < Meka Chicken >
California
Hoooooolyyyyy fuck!!!!!

Excuse my excitement. I have been waiting to see this for decades. Thank you so much for posting this.

Edited: 08/30/2017 at 10:32 PM by Jono1874

Aug 30 at 10:42:18 PM
Kzero (2)

< Little Mac >
I pee'd a little in my pants. This is insane man. Absolutely insane.

-------------------------
In search for and willing to buy Killer Instinct related items, including: Apparel, advertising, promotional, games, hardware, arcade, and pretty much anything KI related.
Top items needed: KI leather jacket, Fulgore cardboard standee, paper clip holder, Killer Instinct 2 SNES prototype, and any Nintendo employee given items.

Aug 30 at 11:05:10 PM
BIGDADDYRAMIREZ (31)

(b Ramirez) < Little Mac >
Washington
I wanted to just ask everyone who is making comments to be respectful. I will not beat around the bush about it. If you find the child's voice to be a nuisance then mute your volume. This is the man's son. Be an adult and realize that it is a child that was excited. I am a grown myself that was just as excited if not more. I just show it differently. Regardless who child it is...to talk about a child should make you wonder what insecurities you have about yourself. We want to have this game enjoyed by the public and not offend someone that is making this possible. I will not continue to address this so some troll can blow this conversation up for fun also realize that everyone gets to see who you really are.

Aug 30 at 11:49:38 PM
nensondubois (18)
(One Two) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I'm generally excited to see that the NES version exists. It really is unfortunate that Nintendo cancelled the NES version. From what I can hear, I can barely tell if the music is the same as the SNES version, but the graphics and layout looks much like the SNES version only toned-down by half. If this is publically released, I wouldn't want a reproduction cartridge because people would be destroying other games I the process. I also have an NES Everdrive N8. I thought it was lost forever but I'm still curious.

Thanks for sharing this find!  

Edited: 08/30/2017 at 11:51 PM by nensondubois

Aug 30 at 11:56:08 PM
laddersandcakes (57)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Whoa. Groovy! Crossed fingers as this whole thing plays out.

Aug 31 at 12:09:36 AM
barrelsAndRivets (128)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: BIGDADDYRAMIREZ

I wanted to just ask everyone who is making comments to be respectful. I will not beat around the bush about it. If you find the child's voice to be a nuisance then mute your volume. This is the man's son. Be an adult and realize that it is a child that was excited. I am a grown myself that was just as excited if not more. I just show it differently. Regardless who child it is...to talk about a child should make you wonder what insecurities you have about yourself. We want to have this game enjoyed by the public and not offend someone that is making this possible. I will not continue to address this so some troll can blow this conversation up for fun also realize that everyone gets to see who you really are.

I get where you are coming from, but there were only three posts mentioning it in a thread of 59+ replies. And you directly responded to the first one, saying "sorry". This seems like an unnecessary overreaction unless you're also taking into account comments from elsewhere (e.g. youtube). 

Aug 31 at 12:46:11 AM
acromite53 (15)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
This is absolutely incredible. One of Nintendo's biggest lost games has now been seen! It makes me very curious about how a big company that still exists like Nintendo deals with it's prototypes/unreleased games. Do they have at least one copy as an archive? Or do they have a ROM of this preserved? Do they not care at all about this game and have lost all copies and documentation related to this game? We know that they officially released the cancelled Earthbound for NES. Where did they get that ROM for release? It must have come internally right? So would it make sense to assume that they still have this game's data as well? Does Nintendo care about it's history enough to have an internal archive of all past projects? I would love to have some insight on how Nintendo manages this stuff.

Aug 31 at 12:49:26 AM
thomeboy (83)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania

Just so there is no confusion. I have not purchased this game YET. I was merely putting it on here so people know that it does actually exist.

Does that mean you will definitely be purchasing it? =D

Edited: 08/31/2017 at 12:50 AM by thomeboy

Aug 31 at 12:50:38 AM
acromite53 (15)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

And this used to be the only known footage of this game. WOW! Perhaps this is one of the carts used at this CES show? Incredible!!

Edited: 08/31/2017 at 12:51 AM by acromite53

Aug 31 at 1:37:10 AM
Bert (52)
(THRILLHO ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: thomeboy

Just so there is no confusion. I have not purchased this game YET. I was merely putting it on here so people know that it does actually exist.

Does that mean you will definitely be dumping it? =D

Aug 31 at 1:48:41 AM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopa Troopa) < Meka Chicken >
Canada
Originally posted by: acromite53

This is absolutely incredible. One of Nintendo's biggest lost games has now been seen! It makes me very curious about how a big company that still exists like Nintendo deals with it's prototypes/unreleased games. Do they have at least one copy as an archive? Or do they have a ROM of this preserved? Do they not care at all about this game and have lost all copies and documentation related to this game? We know that they officially released the cancelled Earthbound for NES. Where did they get that ROM for release? It must have come internally right? So would it make sense to assume that they still have this game's data as well? Does Nintendo care about it's history enough to have an internal archive of all past projects? I would love to have some insight on how Nintendo manages this stuff.

Umm... Isn't Sim City owned by EA? Nintendo would have to pay for a license to that property. I think I remember seeing Super NES Sim City on the Wii U Virtual Console, but would the average person want to play the unreleased NES version over the Super NES one that everyone remembers?

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Aug 31 at 2:23:12 AM
acromite53 (15)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Koopa64

Originally posted by: acromite53

Umm... Isn't Sim City owned by EA? Nintendo would have to pay for a license to that property. I think I remember seeing Super NES Sim City on the Wii U Virtual Console, but would the average person want to play the unreleased NES version over the Super NES one that everyone remembers?
I don't think Nintendo will ever release this. I'm just curious about what Nintendo does internally with it's cancelled projects.

Aug 31 at 3:24:32 AM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopa Troopa) < Meka Chicken >
Canada
Well if Star Fox 2 is any indication, they take care of their unreleased games.

I didn't see an immediate thread for it but I am very stoked for that game as well. I tried Star Fox 2 some years ago and it was stunning. The Super NES Classic Edition looks like it has the "cherry on the cake" version, so to speak.  

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Aug 31 at 7:36:32 AM
spacedragon (3)

< Crack Trooper >
France
Originally posted by: LuigiBlood

Please dump this. Not necessarily publicly, but please dump this while the bitrotting didn't get to it yet.

Waiting for that one asshole to come and say that it shouldn't be played or dumped, put it in an acrylic display case with PCB out of the cartridge and EPROMs exposed.

Aug 31 at 7:49:33 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Ryder4864 (175)

(Michael D) < Kraid Killer >
Pennsylvania
I definitely want a CIB reproduction of this, if possible.

Everything is better CIB.

Aug 31 at 7:52:43 AM
Of games (2)

(Joshua Rogers) < Eggplant Wizard >
Victoria
I've been saving this info for my book, but: the game "Populous"(similar to Sim City, kinda of) also exists on a prototype NES cart, however was never released due to 1. it was INCREDIBLY slow, and 2. the time it was finished was very late in the NES' lifespan; if it were to be released, it would have only made it into Japan and Europe, anyways. I'd buy this Sim City prototype for $50,000 USD if it's undumped btw @op

Writing a book about the NES and Nintendo in PAL regions and Asia/Korea/Hong Kong/India/etc. Contact me if you have anything interesting about this.

Edited: 08/31/2017 at 07:57 AM by Of games

Aug 31 at 9:46:24 AM
SUBSCRIBER
NintendoTwizer (170)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
I knew Seinfeld had it

Aug 31 at 10:05:41 AM
jonebone (527)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Pit >
Maryland
Originally posted by: NintendoTwizer

I knew Seinfeld had it

Hey I made a thread about this 8 years ago (damn time flies!)

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

WTB Sealed & CIB Mint Games!
NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16

Now Playing: Mario Rabbids Kingdom (Switch)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Aug 31 at 10:08:36 AM
SUBSCRIBER
BigHero1006 (15)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Nebraska
awesome!

It’s a Nintendo Entertainment System….If I wanted to play Sega I’d call your sister!

Aug 31 at 10:43:55 AM
vladictivo (112)
(Vladi ) < Lolo Lord >
Mexico
Yay, time to make good use of the box!

Keeping it custom: vladictivo.deviantart.com

Aug 31 at 11:48:17 AM
BriGuy82 (22)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
Make some repro carts op and stack that cheddar.   I know I want one.