Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

*BOUNTY ADDED* unknown video game image from 1996 WIN $100 USD VIA PAYPAL GIFT

Feb 28 at 7:25:08 PM
snes_collector (60)
(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Did he do the art for Adventures of Lomax for Playstation? The coloring reminds me of the box for that. It is also a '96 release.

-------------------------

Feb 28 at 8:15:12 PM
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Quaze

I've gotta ask, Adam, are you offering a bounty because this piece is available to you and you're trying to figure out where it's from to gauge what it may be worth for an offer, or are you just really that curious about where Greg's art was used?
I saw this on ebay sometime ago, for a really low price ($200-300?) so I'm guessing he purchased the piece and wants to know where it was used. That is to say, IF it was used, I still think the most likely scenario is that this was unused, but of course, I could be totally mistaken! And of course, depending on if this was used and if so for what game/product, can make a huge difference in the value. Can't blame him for wanting to know!

Feb 28 at 8:29:13 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa Claus) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: Hogie1418

Originally posted by: tubeway

Moving forward, Adam's new name is Dan.

If Adam is Dan...... does that make Dan..... Adam?

God dammit.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Feb 28 at 8:29:35 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa Claus) < King Solomon >
New York
...and I didn't find anything.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Feb 28 at 9:10:08 PM
SuperJimtendo (3)
(Jimbo ) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
Originally posted by: avatar!

I've gotta ask, Adam, are you offering a bounty because this piece is available to you and you're trying to figure out where it's from to gauge what it may be worth for an offer, or are you just really that curious about where Greg's art was used?
I saw this on ebay sometime ago, for a really low price ($200-300?) so I'm guessing he purchased the piece and wants to know where it was used. That is to say, IF it was used, I still think the most likely scenario is that this was unused, but of course, I could be totally mistaken! And of course, depending on if this was used and if so for what game/product, can make a huge difference in the value. Can't blame him for wanting to know!

I agree, it might have been unused or a gallery piece. Something from the old portfolio.

Current NES Collection : http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...
FS/FO/FT Thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Feb 28 at 9:17:39 PM
Scrooge McDuck (0)
< Little Mac >
This seems like something that would be used for advertisement in a magazine. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before and not too long ago as well.

I spent the whole day and most of today looking and the only thing I've found is that Dark Links sword is similar to the one in the picture.

Games I'm Trying To Complete

Feb 28 at 9:42:39 PM
Buyatari (6)
(Adam Harvey) < El Ripper >
Ohio

Well I already bought it and dirt cheap too. It would cost someone more to frame it. 
I'd like to know what it was meant for. If it is for a game of interest to me then I'll keep it otherwise I've already got a buyer lined up who will take it as is. 

Feb 28 at 10:23:13 PM
Buyatari (6)
Ohio
Originally posted by: SuperJimtendo

I agree, it might have been unused or a gallery piece. Something from the old portfolio.

The possibilities are endless. However, we can take some educated guesses

Certainly a commissioned piece. Greg Winters had illustrated perhaps several hundred published pieces by this point. Important games like Megaman3,4,5,6,X,X2,X3. Sonic, a Gremlins game and multiple Gremlins movie posters. He has even done Star Wars covers that Lucas himself purchased for his own collection. Greg is very busy and wouldn't need to do a piece with nothing going on to pad a portfolio. 

Game covers are usually established early. A cover becomes part of the indentity of the game. For this reason most canceled games will have had a cover produced. There is lengthy period of time from initial concept to finished product. Lots can happen in that time. If this was a cover for a game it is possible that the piece is unpublished if the game was axed.

However, less time from concept to execution for a magazine ad. You don't pay a guy to whip something up only to sit on it for months. Unless you are ready to roll with an ad it just isn't a priority. There are cases where an ad will run and the game is later canceled but these are rare instances often only with the existing cover art. Anything is possible but very unlikely that this is an unpublished ad illustration.

So to sum it up this is what I firmly believe. It was certainly commissioned. If used for advertising then almost certainly published. If it was used for a game cover then likely unpublished only if the game was canceled.

Feb 28 at 11:29:31 PM
< Eggplant Wizard >
Who knows. Without solid evidence it could be most anything and arguments while sound, remain conjecture. The fact that no one is finding anything does give pause.

Feb 28 at 11:39:55 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

Who knows. Without solid evidence it could be most anything and arguments while sound, remain conjecture. The fact that no one is finding anything does give pause.
True unless someone out there has a prototype box using the op's artwork, we may never find out and i hate to say it but if said person has a prototype box exists they may not see this page or show up.

I really doubt it is a magazine ad, i gave my guess and in my opinion the landscape fits terranigma but like you said i got no proof.

Feb 28 at 11:42:14 PM
< Eggplant Wizard >
Landscape fits a lot of things  

Feb 28 at 11:46:01 PM
CZroe (17)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < King Solomon >
Georgia
I'm getting the vibe of a promotional poster with multiple games/screenshots hovering in front instead of one particular game.

Edited: 02/28/2017 at 11:46 PM by CZroe

Feb 28 at 11:53:15 PM
zredgemz (1)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
The time period fits with Terranigma but we are going in circles, i will take my leave but i do hope the Op gets his answer. I tried to look around for a magazine ad but could not find one from that time period or 1995 but i did want to help you like i would Bronty if i could.

Cheers.

Mar 01 at 12:41:09 AM
Buyatari (6)
Ohio

I've been down this road before and it is never quick and easy. Often these things turn up when you least expect them and after you have stopped looking. Look at this painting by the same artist. Turns out it was a Megaman ad. With a less popular series it would have even harder to locate. 

Mar 01 at 1:00:24 AM
CZroe (17)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < King Solomon >
Georgia
No results for the full image so I tried splitting it up in multiple ways and running the partial images through TinEye and GIS. Still no results.  

Mar 01 at 7:20:52 AM
Buyatari (6)
Ohio
Originally posted by: CZroe

No results for the full image so I tried splitting it up in multiple ways and running the partial images through TinEye and GIS. Still no results.  

I appreciate all the hard work guys.

These image searches do assume that the piece is not only published but scanned online. If the ad is not scanned then these searches won't turn up anything, 

Mar 01 at 7:36:26 AM
JosephLeo (83)
< Bowser >
New Jersey
I think i've given up on this one for now.

I went through Nintendo Power 1995-1997 and couldn't find anything. I don't have any other magazines from that time period so that's all I could do other than the basic image searches others have already done. I would check other publications if I had them.

On a mission to play, beat, stream, and review 858 unique NES games!

Twitch username: RetroVG
Next game on NESCapade #002: Caveman Games

Mar 01 at 8:41:14 AM
sadikyo (69)
(Sadik Yo) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Are you 100% sure it is even associated with a game, as opposed to a generic piece of art?

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Mar 01 at 9:47:29 AM
icarwngs55 (67)
(Michael D) < El Ripper >
United States
Just noticing this topic...

Winters did do some Power Rangers work... Perhaps a page (I don't own the book) or discarded page from the book Power Rangers: Battle Against the Sun?

Mar 01 at 10:52:49 AM
Buyatari (6)
Ohio
Originally posted by: icarwngs55

Just noticing this topic...

Winters did do some Power Rangers work... Perhaps a page (I don't own the book) or discarded page from the book Power Rangers: Battle Against the Sun?

Originally posted by: sadikyo

Are you 100% sure it is even associated with a game, as opposed to a generic piece of art?

The book idea is a good guess. He also did some kids Star Wars books.
For sure I know that it was commissioned. Without a doubt someone paid Greg to do this or he wouldn't have painted it. There is no need to explore this as a "personal work"

Outside of that, I'm not sure of anything really. However, I've found that the story is often a boat anchored by truth. The boat can only sway so far unless it is an outright lie. The story as was told is that it was used as a game cover. Well perhaps it was a game ad or perhaps it was unpublished. Perhaps it was used in a kids book that had videogame characters. As distance between the truth and story widens the less likely it is to be possible but yes still possible.
You can only start at the center and work your way out.

I've emailed the artist for any and all aditional information that he might have.

Mar 01 at 10:53:05 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
He did a lot of power rangers and vr troopers but as far as I know only the covers when it comes to books.

edit:   Oops I see Dan already answered.   And with an eloquent boat analogy no less

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 03/01/2017 at 10:58 AM by Bronty

Mar 01 at 11:24:11 AM
Buyatari (6)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Bronty

He did a lot of power rangers and vr troopers but as far as I know only the covers when it comes to books.

edit:   Oops I see Dan already answered.   And with an eloquent boat analogy no less

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

Mar 01 at 8:12:54 PM
Fiyaball (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Iowa
Going off of Buyatari's MM7 Ad Painting, the most obvious choices would be action/adventure games or RPGS. The only Capcom RPGs I think of are the Breath of Fire games, though it could be a Square/Enix title.

Mar 01 at 8:34:10 PM
Sinnbox (7)
(Joel sinn) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
I feel like I have seen this somewhere, but I am drawing a blank

Collection Totals:

NES: 500+
SNES: 300+
N64:124
Dreamcast: 45 - Looking for more

Mar 01 at 8:59:37 PM
Buyatari (6)
Ohio
Originally posted by: Fiyaball

Going off of Buyatari's MM7 Ad Painting, the most obvious choices would be action/adventure games or RPGS. The only Capcom RPGs I think of are the Breath of Fire games, though it could be a Square/Enix title.

Not mine. It belongs to Adam.