Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew CYO NES game

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:08:52 PM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Because it's unresponsible and unthankful. Why is it impossible to use available space in a game ? Him there very much!

-------------------------
My NES hacks on Romhacking.net
>>Oldschool Beta-tester<< My latest ROM-hack. http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:12:07 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: lancuster

Because it's unresponsible and unthankful. Why is it impossible to use available space in a game ? Him there very much!
Because I code my game the way I please, not the way is easy for you to hack, maybe?

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:15:53 PM
KHAN Games (88)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Because it's unresponsible and unthankful.

Having people not like your stuff is the worst!

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:24:25 PM
SUBSCRIBER
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Lol there has to be so much mistranslated. No one could be this relentlessly rude.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:53:54 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: mattbep

Lol there has to be so much mistranslated. No one could be this relentlessly rude.
That's what I want to hope too.

I'd like to think the intentions are good, but the rudeness of acting like if other people work it is his own stuff, and the stubborn idea that all the other people is at his service, it is actually annoying, like someone else already pointed out in a PM sent to me.

I really hope it is just a mistranslation issue, I'd like to cheer and welcome everyone into the community, but I'd like mutual respect.

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:06:16 PM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Because it's unresponsible and unthankful.

Having people not like your stuff is the worst!

Here confirmation of my words , why this is ungrateful.

>>Oldschool Beta-tester<< My latest ROM-hack. http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:06:47 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (151)
(Jason Fleck) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Originally posted by: user

Originally posted by: mattbep

That's what I want to hope too.

I'd like to think the intentions are good, but the rudeness of acting like if other people work it is his own stuff, and the stubborn idea that all the other people is at his service, it is actually annoying, like someone else already pointed out in a PM sent to me.

I really hope it is just a mistranslation issue, I'd like to cheer and welcome everyone into the community, but I'd like mutual respect.

Which you well deserve, my friend.  I really do think that there is just too much lost in translation here with two people trying to speak to each other in a second language.

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:11:37 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Fleck586

Which you well deserve, my friend.  I really do think that there is just too much lost in translation here with two people trying to speak to each other in a second language.

And I really hope that you are correct!

Dec 21, 2015 at 3:22:55 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

Here confirmation of my words , why this is ungrateful.
Please, try to understand that:

1. A dozen of posts ago, Yesterday at 11:44:53 PM, I post something I care about, and that post is now buried under a bunch of spam;
2. If I make a game, and offer it for free, it is for the sake of make my own game the way I please, of course I appreciate other people opinions, but I am not at other people service;
3. If your will is really to design a background which would fit this game, and discuss it, then draw a 256 x 240 px png file, which would fit in NES limitations tiles and palette wise, and post it here: it will not be used in the game (which again: is my game), but at least it would be a more elegant way to propose your alternative, than claim that you want to hack the ROM, and blame me for coding in such a way is unlikely for you to hack.

Please try to understand that I really wish to welcome you to discuss this game, but the attitude you take, it makes unlikely that your comments will be appreciated by anyone in this community who actually spent some time designing, coding, drawing art, composing music, or even just testing an homebrew game.

Respect other people work, if you wish your ideas to be respected.

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:09:12 PM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
I respect stranger labour . For this reason I save all copyrights in the game I hacked. Though I am not able to program , but essence of the idea nevertheless I will expound: Look much better , does not it?

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:45:58 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

I respect stranger labour . For this reason I save all copyrights in the game I hacked. Though I am not able to program , but essence of the idea nevertheless I will expound: Look much better , does not it?
It does look a bit better, but I'm not willing to edit the game.
The idea here was to offer a free simple and minimal game ROM to all, and many appreciated it.
If my "black space" is boring to you, I understand.

I think that if you have the creativity to design a game, you should try to learn a bit of assembly programming, and try make your own little project. I'm sure that if the time you invest in hacking other people work you would instead work on something _yours_ which is new and fun for all, even if little, most of this community will cheer for your project and your work.

With Nerdy Nights by bunnyboy http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess... ), understand NES programming is really easy, if you have the will to spend a couple of weeks to learn.

Edit: correction.

Edited: 12/21/2015 at 04:46 PM by user

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:05:38 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Thanks to a very nice friend here on NA, a prototype cart of the game has been made (just for the sake of it) awesomely quickly.

I'm really happy that this was possible. And I'm of course extremely glad about the so many downloads of this ROM, most of them from NA I guess.

Please all, do not hack and/or redistribute this game ROM yourself: this is not respectful, and definitely not welcome.
This game is downloadable only from its project web page. Please do not edit or alter the ROM.
If you really have to make your own mod of the game and wish to publish it, then make a patch to apply on the ROM.
However, it makes way more sense to me if you just code your own game, rather than mess up with mine.

Thanks all!

Thanks to NA and to everyone tried out this ROM, so many downloads (and comments) in just a week or so!

I still wonder: was anyone else, except for master Mog, able defeat this game by now? Any other picture of a victory screen? Any funny screen shot?
Did anyone experiment to put this ROM on his/her own NES cart? If so, which board was used? Was it easy? How to do it? Any picture of it?
Also, does the ROM correctly work on both EverDrive and PowerPak? Did anyone take a video of the gameplay? Any link?
Did anyone else link this project web page to his/her videogame related blog or web page?

Cheers!

Back on track! Hopefully!

Edit: correction.

Edited: 01/05/2016 at 05:34 AM by user

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:56:30 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Alright, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this; however.

After a year in which I focused a lot on these NES projects, in the next year I'll focus on other priorities, so I won't tackle any freelance NES project (but I'll still stop by this brewery in my free time). I wish to say thank you to all the nice people in this brewery for all the support I had, in this last year (and a bit more), learning about assembly and NES architecture: bunnyboy, shiru, the fox, memblers, vectrex, MRN, KHan, and many many others, which were always friendly and competent giving answers, and produced excellent articles and tutorials on the subject; and of course to all the people we developed games togheter.

This little game, Cyo, is my only project of which I'm not selling the rights to a producer, to give a chance to everyone to play it for free. I apologize to everyone kindly contacting me about getting a cart, but I confirm that this project will not have an "official" physical release; however, you can make your own cart instead, and I think this makes it somehow different in a good way too.

I wish everyone Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.

Cheers!

Edited: 01/05/2016 at 05:35 AM by user

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:20:27 AM
Mega Mario Man (58)
(Tim ) < Kraid Killer >
Nebraska

Alright, I don't know if this is the correct place to post this; however.

After a year in which I focused a lot on these NES projects, in the next year I'll focus on other priorities, so I won't tackle any freelance NES project (but I'll still stop by this brewery in my free time). I wish to say thank you to all the nice people in this brewery for all the support I had, in this last year (and a bit more), learning about assembly and NES architecture: bunnyboy, shiru, the fox, memblers, vectrex, MRN, KHan, and many many others, which were always friendly and competent giving answers, and produced excellent articles and tutorials on the subject; and of course to all the people we developed games togheter.

This little game, Cyo, is my only project of which I'm not selling the rights to a producer, to give a chance to everyone to play it for free ( download: http://cyo.atspace.com/ ). I apologize to everyone kindly contacting me about getting a cart, but I confirm that this project will not have an "official" physical release; however, you can make your own cart instead, and I think this makes it somehow different in a good way too.

I wish everyone Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.

Cheers!

I understand, man. After only a few months of learning to program in 2014, I had to take a break with life priorities. After about a year, I was able to pick up where I left off and now I am back at it again.

I hope this will be your case. You sure do have a lot to offer and I enjoyed following your threads. Best of luck with your priorities and I hope to see you coding more games.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:56:58 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

I understand, man. After only a few months of learning to program in 2014, I had to take a break with life priorities. After about a year, I was able to pick up where I left off and now I am back at it again.

I hope this will be your case. You sure do have a lot to offer and I enjoyed following your threads. Best of luck with your priorities and I hope to see you coding more games.

Thanks for the very kind words. Mega Mario Man is a name which is missing on my thank you list here above: my apologies about that, you were in the first friends to welcome me in this brewery.
Nice that you understand. I won't exclude the design of NES minigames in my free time, if I'll have the will to experiment new game mechanics ideas, but I strongly doubt that I will tackle any (way more time consuming) full game project this next year.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:02:33 PM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Good luck with your endeavors sir and Merry Christmas!

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:36:18 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: GradualGames

Good luck with your endeavors sir and Merry Christmas!
Hey Derek,

Thanks.

I spent like 15 min earlier today watching some of your last Owlia development videos. I was wondering how many hours would take to design, develop and test a project like that. It's amazing that is it is done mostly for the sake of making a NES game. I think anyone was involved in any homebrew development can't help to cheer for that project!

Jan 15 at 6:20:33 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Quick update just to say that probably the game will take part into the NES DEV Competition, and so probably be published into the multicart related to the competition. This if I can understand how to submit it, since I just discovered that an e-mail (to the organizers of the competition) with the ROM attached it is not a viable option.

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopi...

So, if judges will say that it is good enough (I hope that it is eligible for Category 1, but "everything goes" category is fair enough if judges will say so), and assuming that I'll eventually figure out how to correctly submit the ROM, CYO will finally have a cart release after all.

It is just a little game, likely nothing to say "wow" about, but I think that it is a good NES little gem which, under several aspects, fully deserves to be published on a NES cart somehow, forgiving its minimalism. It is fun to play, and it is cute on my books also graphically. Of course, all of the above is just a biased opinion from the game designer.  

Thank you to everyone who played out the ROM and gave a bit of feedback. It is cool that around December 2015 I published this ROM to share it here before taking a year break from developing NES games, and about a year after it could be released on cart (to be honest, I developed Ninja in this summer break too, which was released in December 2016, a year exactly in such case).

Nothing is certain for now, buts since someone keeps on asking me news by PM on "what about CYO?", I thought that rather than reply just someone, I would post this update on the game thread for everybody.

Jan 15 at 6:24:07 AM
glutock (0)
< Little Mac >
France
Every information you need has been updated here today : http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.co...

Jan 15 at 6:32:40 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: glutock

Every information you need has been updated here today : http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.com/rules/2016/

Submission Guidelines

* All entries will be submitted via email.
* Please submit with the following subject line:
o Category X - Entry Name - Username
* Please only submit 2 files:
o A blurb.txt with the appropriate information.
o The rom file in the .nes format
* Please submit entries to the email address below.

[not included for spam avoiding]

If you wish to submit additional resources to be added to your entry, please attach them to a forum thread and link to it in your blurb.txt

So, it is by email to Brad after all?
My English understanding is so bad, that I end up confusing myself.
Thanks for the quick reply, appreciated!  
And thanks also to Brad, of course.

Jan 15 at 8:51:33 AM
glutock (0)
< Little Mac >
France
Yes, just send an email to Brad with the ROM and the 'blurb' file  

Jan 15 at 8:53:12 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: glutock

Yes, just send an email to Brad with the ROM and the 'blurb' file

Already done!

Merci, mon ami.  

Jan 15 at 10:54:48 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Credits for BetaTesting to:
- Mog (on NA)
- Derek A. (true lastname on the blurb sent to the competition)
- Jason F. (true lastname on the blurb sent to the competition)
- JamesRobot (on NA)
- Jeffrey W. (true lastname on the blurb sent to the competition)
- NA forum in general

So, everyone of you has is true lastname under his avatar (or explicitly asked me to), I felt free to write down name lastname in the blurb sent to NES DEV; everyone not having his name under the avatar, I just wrote [Nick] (on NA).

If anyone of you guys wants to correct it, let me know asap.

If anyone else thinks to deserve to be credited for betatesting this game, please let me know.
Sorry, I can't remember at one year of distance who gave feedback and asked for credits.

Ok, last spammy post of the morning.

Very happy about the game being accepted in Category 1!  

Edit: also, post number 1111! Lucky one!  

Edited: 01/15/2017 at 11:10 AM by user

Jan 15 at 2:30:48 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (163)
(Justin ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
What are you talking about, man... Cyo was already released on cart! Two to be exact, remember?  

Jan 15 at 5:37:48 PM
SUBSCRIBER
JamesRobot (16)
(AKA JamsGobot ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Awesome! Glad to see this as a contender!