Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2017 Secret Santa-ing thread Ho, Ho, Ho!

Nov 21 at 1:10:13 PM
SUBSCRIBER
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I prefer to receive very specific requests. A slightly larger selection is nice though. Ideally I am happy with around 10 listed items ranging from a couple bucks to the max so I can put together a nice gift.

I try to give a good number of very specific requests, but also leave some general ideas out there so they can feel free to go whichever direction they choose.

Nov 21 at 1:21:35 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Originally posted by: mattbep

I prefer to receive very specific requests. A slightly larger selection is nice though. Ideally I am happy with around 10 listed items ranging from a couple bucks to the max so I can put together a nice gift.

I try to give a good number of very specific requests, but also leave some general ideas out there so they can feel free to go whichever direction they choose.
I am almost exactly the same. I would much rather have a specific list of wanted items with a comment or two for other things they like/collect/are in to. It gives me flexibility for what to get, but also gives them something they will for sure want. To me, it's difficult shopping for someone that says something like "I collect NES and SNES games", but has no mention of the games they have or would want. You want to get them the best games that they will enjoy, but those are probably also the games they are most likely to already have. 

-------------------------
Let's Go Penguins!

Nov 21 at 1:32:39 PM
Bert (53)
< Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I like having a list of specifics, but it's also nice to get some hints on more broad things if that makes sense. Like if you want to make something custom, it helps to know that you're a fan of Zelda, or whatever. Both years I've done it I got a nice long list of games they want, which is great, but it's hard to do something extra, more personal

Nov 21 at 6:09:34 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (66)
(Douglas Glover) < King Solomon >
Ontario
Just picked up the gift for my SS. I hope they like it!

NEW! Share your collection! Check out mine here!
Developer

Nov 21 at 6:36:44 PM
suicidalparrot (122)
(matt s) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Mostly I wish people would keep up with an updated collection and wanted list. An updated collection at the very least. I definitely like to see what specific games they are looking for rather than a general interest in a genre or system if it has to be an either/or situation, but my ideal preference is for someone to give me those general ideas to work with, and then have a wanted list with many options to browse.

Edited: 11/21/2017 at 06:38 PM by suicidalparrot

Nov 21 at 6:52:41 PM
DefaultGen (21)
(Tyler Wilkin) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: rlh

Ok, poll time. Which do you prefer. People requesting very-specific items or very-narrow possibilities or the type of giftee who gives a couple of general guidelines and says "go wild!"

I generally always get them one of their specific wants so they're not disappointed in case I totally whiff, then a bunch of random goodies. The most fun part of secret santas to me are not really knowing what you're going to get!

Of course, if my SS gets me a bunch of items straight off my want list, I won't be complaining  

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #80: Mario (and Super Mario) Games

Nov 21 at 8:54:05 PM
Astor Reinhardt (15)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: rlh

Ok, poll time. Which do you prefer. People requesting very-specific items or very-narrow possibilities or the type of giftee who gives a couple of general guidelines and says "go wild!"

When I wrote up my request, I try to be both. I sent a link to my Wants list but also said what items I love and that I like random surprises. I hope that helped you, Santa.

Personally, I like the semi-vague request. You can be creative, and that's always fun.
I like vague requests so long as I know I'm not getting them games they already have. Thankfully this year my giftee had updated collections on here.

I'm the complete opposite though, I'm picky because I know what I want. I sort of like surprises but I don't want to end up with games I'll hate and just sell. So I like to clearly say what games I want.

People probably hate being my gifters since I don't leave a ton of wiggle room and my collections are NOT up to date lol. I'm lazy...

In more important news, just sent out my gift! Because if I get it out early, I don't have to worry!

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Edited: 11/21/2017 at 08:54 PM by Astor Reinhardt

Nov 22 at 11:04:36 AM
Splain (18)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Arizona
When making a list, it's easy to sort of "hope" that your secret santa knows exactly what you want, because it really saps the magic if you say "Hi Santa. I want Superman for N64. Thx." And then you get a box in the mail containing Superman for N64. At the same time, it's not fun to say something like "Hi Santa, I'm really into famously bad video games, like from AVGN, and I like 64-bit systems, and games where you can fly around." And then you get a box in the mail containing Cybermorph for Atari Jaguar, which exactly fits your description, but you really wanted Superman for N64. Who doesn't want to receive exactly what they wanted without having to spell it out?

Nov 22 at 11:08:01 AM
theirontoupee (46)
(I Need Exertainment ) < Bowser >
Wisconsin
Got my recipient a big stack of stuff that they hopefully done have! I think I have one more thing to pick up before shipping.

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Nov 22 at 11:14:07 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (66)
Ontario
Originally posted by: theirontoupee

Got my recipient a big stack of stuff that they hopefully done have! I think I have one more thing to pick up before shipping.

A big stack!?

*looks in dismay at single game purchased for my SS*

Developer

Nov 22 at 11:23:58 AM
theirontoupee (46)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Gloves

A big stack!?

Heck ya...all the cool kids are doing it!

Nov 22 at 11:24:52 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (66)
Ontario

A big stack!?

Oh no lol. Here I was getting ready to send maple syrup.

Developer

Nov 22 at 11:26:39 AM
theirontoupee (46)
Wisconsin

A big stack!?

As long as it's Nintendo brand, it's alright.

Nov 22 at 11:27:15 AM
frisbee (14)

< Little Mac >
Kentucky
Just sent mine out. It was a big stack of 2 items.

Nov 22 at 12:05:16 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Foochie776 (220)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < King Solomon >
Minnesota
I tried laying out a handful of options for my SS... I'd be happy with anything though! I wasn't specific but gave some solid guidelines. Thank God for the NA collection tool!

Currently Playing: Super Mario Bros 2 

316/676

Nov 22 at 12:35:23 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (151)
(Jason Fleck) < El Ripper >
Missouri
I try to be the guy that says anything I don't have is fine and have my collection as up to date as possible. I give several options and try to outline my likes and dislikes. I wasn't specific about that last part this year, though in hindsight. The person I drew was great. Gave me lots of specifics, but also a broad outline of likes and dislikes so that I can surprise them. I'm looking forward to getting everything in so I can send it out.

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Nov 22 at 1:02:05 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Gloves (66)
Ontario
I tried to be pretty broad about my SS message. I have my up-to-date collection in my signature, if that helps. I hope I'm not too hard to buy for!

Developer

Nov 22 at 3:46:41 PM
winterion (12)
(Daniel Greenberg) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
My recipient had a list of some games they wanted, and the local game store had a copy, sooo... bought yesterday, shipped it today!

Daniel Greenberg, Founder of Winterion Game Studios Daniel Greenberg, George Mason University Game Design
Founder of Winterion Game Studios
Visit us online! winterion.com
Watch us on YouTube

Nov 22 at 4:04:02 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Mega Tank (161)
< Master Higgins >
United States

A big stack!?

As long as it's Nintendo brand, it's alright.

A big stack o games?! How dare you!

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

My FS Thread, SNES Carts: Click This.

Nov 23 at 12:18:56 AM
BouncekDeLemos (79)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: suicidalparrot

Mostly I wish people would keep up with an updated collection and wanted list. An updated collection at the very least. I definitely like to see what specific games they are looking for rather than a general interest in a genre or system if it has to be an either/or situation, but my ideal preference is for someone to give me those general ideas to work with, and then have a wanted list with many options to browse.

I'm one of the worst offenders of this, I have to admit. lol I've been on and off adding things into my phone to be later exported to make a complete list of all my stuff (It's like 20+ years worth of collecting, hahaha) but I could've at least make a Wanted List to make it easier on my Secret Santa.

To whoever's got me this year: if my lack of a proper list is making it a bit difficult, please accept my sincerest apologies. It's my first year but I promise to get my act together for next time 'round. I even had to edit my note to be a little more specific for my Santa, which is understandable due to how vague it was originally and my lack of a wanted list. So the new note that was sent out was to make up for the lack of a list. I'm just a mess. lol

In the future, let's all try our best to keep up a good updated list(s) and/or try to be as specific as possible in our notes. It just makes it easier for the Secret Santas.  

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Nov 23 at 5:58:06 PM
GoldeneyeGamer (21)
(Donald H) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts
Right now I'm waiting on a game from eBay, have another one set aside, and know what I'm making the guy but haven't gotten to designing it yet. Getting along much quicker than I thought it would.  

My Sales Thread and something different from a paperclip are both here.
Everything I want at the moment's listed here.
Owner of post 5001 in the Aquarius thread and 4200 in the Inner Circle HQ (Sure, why  not?)

Edited: 11/23/2017 at 06:04 PM by GoldeneyeGamer

Nov 23 at 6:50:32 PM
SuperJimtendo (6)
(Jimbo ) < El Ripper >
Colorado
Last year I found a homebrew at a local store for my ss. In return I got a whole bunch of stuff. Looking at the reveal thread I felt kind of bad because people were giving out all kinds of goodies. This year I wanted to sign up so I could go all out. My want list was a tad vague so I'm sorry for that whoever you are. As for my recipient this year, I did a little shopping and had a handful of things laying around as well. Gonna throw in something unique also. I can't wait for the reveal thread. That's my favorite part.

Current NES Collection : http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...
FS/FO/FT Thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Edited: 11/23/2017 at 06:51 PM by SuperJimtendo

Nov 24 at 1:09:25 PM
Vectrex28 (121)
(A Metroid) < Bowser >
Switzerland
My package is ready to go, gonna drop it off tomorrow. I think my SS is gonna love it!

Nov 24 at 2:12:15 PM
tetsudai (6)
< Tourian Tourist >
Utah
Originally posted by: suicidalparrot

I kinda forgot about the collection and wanted lists until I read that my Secret Santa had theirs up to date. I checked mine out real quick and saw that it hasn't been updated since 2013. I then spent the next two days on and off updating it. Hopefully it will be helpful to someone.

Nov 24 at 9:32:39 PM
JordyRamone (4)

(Jordy T) < Meka Chicken >
Manitoba
Sent mine out Tuesday and they received it today according to tracking! Really hope they like it!