Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Looking for NES "Solstice" Related Items + Demo Cart Looking to buy items related to the NES Game Solstice.

May 8, 2017 at 5:35:49 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
(Justin Andrew Mason) < Little Mac >
Kentucky
I updated original post of this thread to link to the hosted list of items in the collection / buy list for Solstice items I'm looking for. This list will be updated periodically. It seemed to make more sense to do it this way than have a bunch of different posts with list updates. Thanks again for everyone's help. This thread and everyone here at NA have been a *huge* boon to this project, and I appreciate it very much.

Justin's Solstice Collection & "Searching For" Buy List: http://staffofdemnos.com/list/...

-------------------------
---   ---   ---
I am interested in acquiring "Solstice" NES related items. Please, check out my Solstice collection and "buy list" for more info: http://staffofdemnos.com/list/...
Have something not already on the list? Let me know! You can also follow my project -- "Solstice: Quest for the Staff of Demnos - Historical Project" on Facebook.
---   ---   ---

May 9, 2017 at 11:48:44 AM
ruudos (1)
(Rad Gravity) < Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
Are you interested in this?
Edit: I see that you already have the magazine but I don't know if you want to have all language versions.

Edited: 05/09/2017 at 11:50 AM by ruudos

May 9, 2017 at 12:09:28 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: ruudos

Are you interested in this?
Edit: I see that you already have the magazine but I don't know if you want to have all language versions.

Yes, ironically, the English version of the magazine was my latest acquisition for the collection. However, I would be interested in getting a copy that was released in another language. If you're interested in selling, please feel free to send me a PM with more details.    Thanks for the sharp eye!

---   ---   ---
I am interested in acquiring "Solstice" NES related items. Please, check out my Solstice collection and "buy list" for more info: http://staffofdemnos.com/list/...
Have something not already on the list? Let me know! You can also follow my project -- "Solstice: Quest for the Staff of Demnos - Historical Project" on Facebook.
---   ---   ---

May 14, 2017 at 12:52:37 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Just wrapped up another weekend project for the Solstice collection. I've wanted to custom mod an NES for a few years, but never had a specific reason to prompt me to do so. So, figured this project was a great opportunity to take my first shot at it. Now that I've completed the replica Staff of Demnos, the acrylic glowing potions, and this custom Solstice-themed NES set for the display, next week I'll actually start on building the collection display frame/case.

The paint theme is: purple, dark blue, neon green. First varnish was a shimmer treatment (which makes it all glitter and sparkle), followed up with several additional coats to lock in the custom vinyl graphics. Since I had a few extra Solstice cartridges laying around for this project, I took one apart, masked the label, and painted it to match the set.   NES LED was swapped out for green to match the theme. I couldn't find an easy way to do the same for the NES Advantage, so it's still got the red lights.

Note: I ended up having to take apart the Advantage twice. After the paint and varnish, I had to lightly sand down the sides of all the buttons so they would work smoothly and without sticking.

And, finally, just want I thought I was finished, I decided to go back this morning an install a sound chip inside the NES with the Solstice theme stored in memory. The trigger is rigged to be tripped when the NES door is opened. This would be annoying on a system intended for frequently play, but as a display piece for my Solstice project, it's a fun addition.

Side Note: The adhesive for the sound chip trip wasn't cured well when I did the video, popped off when I opened it, and I ended up having to trigger it manually with my finger, but it gets the idea across.

Anyway, I'm rather pleased how this first attempt at modding turned out. Will be fun to display these along with the rest of the Solstice collection.  

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:10:27 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky

Full Size Project In-Progress Photo (06-13-2017): http://www.staffofdemnos.com/temp...

Since it has been awhile since I posted an update here on this project, I thought I'd chime in. Progress on the "Solstice Historical Project" has been continuing full steam ahead (and documented on the Facebook Group I created for more frequent updates [https://www.facebook.com/StaffOfD...]).

The case is built, but has come to a bit of a standstill while I wait to hear back this week from my local glass company. The thing is massive (4 ft. x 8 ft.) and the size and thickness of polycarbonate / acrylic / Plexiglas I need to make the two sliding doors isn't something anyone keeps in stock. I do have the tracks prepped (you can see them just lying in the bottom of the case here), but I can't install them, and do the final install on the lights (which are temporarily installed right now), until I know 100% how I'm going to do the front of the case. I found a source online who can send what I need, but they want $450 in freight expense to ship it, and I'm just not willing to pay that if I can pick it up nearby.

The two missing Solstice cartridges on the bottom left are the SCN and GBR releases, both of which are currently CIB and in the post on their way here. The first from Sweden and the second from Australia. I also have a few Japanese advertisement cuts coming in the mail, but most everything else is in and pictured here.

I'm also waiting on several more UV-resistant acrylic cases from the VGA/CGA – including two custom cases for the "Solstice" modded NES and Advantage. Unfortunately, those have been "in fabrication" for over a month now. Their website said 1-2 weeks for fabrication, and I paid the extra for the "Priority Case Tier" on all of them, but whatever.

There are a couple barren spots in the display, which are reserved for the handful of items I'm still searching for – such as the 1990 Jell-O Pudding Pops "Solstice" NWC game tip cutout cards, and the Imagesoft Player News issues featuring Solstice.

Hopefully my next update will be soon, and I can present the finished project and the interactive website/guide of the collection.

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 03:34 AM by Jmason333

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:48:05 AM
OptOut (9)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
Amazing work Justin! Especially love the modded NES Advantage, that colour scheme just screams late-80's early-90's! It actually looks exactly like something that they really could have made.

One question I have: does Solstice play better with the Advantage over the regular controller? I have played a little of Solstice, and really want to get more into it, but I find it difficult to orient myself sometimes... Is it better with the joystick rather than a D-pad, in your opinion?

Looking for Sculptor's Cut, help me complete my N64 US exclusives subset! 350 to 400 USD, depending on condition! :)

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:57:59 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: OptOut

Amazing work Justin! Especially love the modded NES Advantage, that colour scheme just screams late-80's early-90's! It actually looks exactly like something that they really could have made.

One question I have: does Solstice play better with the Advantage over the regular controller? I have played a little of Solstice, and really want to get more into it, but I find it difficult to orient myself sometimes... Is it better with the joystick rather than a D-pad, in your opinion?
Thanks! I appreciate that. It's been a very fun project so far.

I don't know if Solstice is nessiarily easier to play with an Advantage, but growing up, I always used it for the game. The orientation can be a little wonky, but since I always played with the advantage flat against the floor (instead of in my hands like a standard controller), I found it easier to play when I oriented the Advantage to the isometric controls.

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:30:35 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Finally! All my UV-Resistant mounted acrylic cases from the VGA finally came in, as well as the final cart version I was waiting on from Sweden.

Here's a quick pick of all the different Solstice CIB carts in the display case, including all nine releases: NES-LX-ITA, NES-LX-NOE, NES-LX-ESP, NES-LX-FRA, NES-LX-SCN, NES-LX-USA, NES-LX-UKV, NES-LX-GBR, and ESF-E3 (Famicom).

I'm officially calling the collection "complete" now (over 50 different items in the display). Though, there are still a handful of super rare items I would like to add to it someday including the Jell-O/Pudding Pops tips cards, CSG Imagesoft Player Newsletters, and the Nintendo officially-licensed Yapon rental hardshell box from the Scandinavian region.

Website/virtual museum and online documentation will be forthcoming later in the year as I get a chance to wrap it up.

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Jul 24, 2017 at 12:20:13 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
So, I might be obsessed. Anyway, as my Solstice collection fleshes out (now over 60 unique items crammed into a 4 ft. x 8 ft. display case), and since I'm only missing a handful of obscure licensed items, I decided to expand on the "unlicensed" part of the collection by having personal custom miniatures created for the three main characters: Shadax, Princess Ealeanor of Arcadia, and Morbius the Malevolent (or my interpretation of the villain as his appearance is more amorphous in the the game). So, there's that. More Solstice stuff! Now to go dig up those three damn cut-out Jell-O "tip" cards from 1990 Gelatin Pops boxes. I know someone has them somewhere.  

Custom Miniatures by Hero Forge: https://www.heroforge.com/...

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:01:05 AM
TENGEN (171)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
Hi, neat project!

I found this in my collection, is it something you already have? If you want it shoot me a message and I'll send it over free if you pay shipping.  

Jul 29, 2017 at 12:55:03 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: TENGEN

Hi, neat project!

I found this in my collection, is it something you already have? If you want it shoot me a message and I'll send it over free if you pay shipping.  

The case with card insert arrived in the mail today! I just wanted to drop a line and say thank you.   This little tidbit of contemporary history is a fun and unexpected inclusion in the Solstice collection. I really appreciate it!

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Edited: 09/07/2017 at 03:36 PM by Jmason333

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:38:41 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Updated my Solstice Collection document this afternoon. Still several items I'm looking to track down, so I thought I'd bump this thread.

Updated collection & buy list (at bottom of page): http://staffofdemnos.com/...

Thanks!

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:16:54 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Looking for any items related to the NES game "Solstice: The Quest for the Staff of Demnos"

I just wanted to chime in here again for a bump. This project was a bit side-tracked at the end of last year due to a death in the family, but I'm back on the case again.

Current list + Items I'm looking for: http://staffofdemnos.com/...

Also, have something not on the list? Let me know!   Thanks!

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Edited: 03/27/2018 at 06:17 PM by Jmason333

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:03:06 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Man, the progress on this has been astounding. Your display is gorgeous. So cool. Can't wait to see what you do with the interactive site.

Mar 28, 2018 at 12:05:29 PM
Archangel3090 (37)
< El Ripper >
Manitoba
I just want to say this confuses me but it is amazing! I love the passion, what made you obsess over this game? I've seen zelda fanatics/final fantasy/mario etc... Just such an unusual title, but that's what makes this so great!

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:48:53 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Nightowljrm

Man, the progress on this has been astounding. Your display is gorgeous. So cool. Can't wait to see what you do with the interactive site.

Thank you! It's been a lot of fun.  
I'm hoping to get things caught up, and maybe have the museum/website ready to go live by this summer. I already have all the media created (images, video, etc.), just need to find the time to create the layout and get it all in place.

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Mar 28, 2018 at 5:56:55 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Archangel3090

I just want to say this confuses me but it is amazing! I love the passion, what made you obsess over this game? I've seen zelda fanatics/final fantasy/mario etc... Just such an unusual title, but that's what makes this so great!

I'm glad to hear you like the idea! Really it s was just happenstance of all the right elements meeting at the right time to inspire the concept. I always loved the game, and the intro theme has been among other game music on my playlist for years. I guess the "ah-ha!" moment really was the Kickstarter the Mike Winterbauer did last year for his "Classic Game Covers" book, which I just happened across by chance. The way he's helping to preserve that history inspired me, and one of his pledge levels included a signed print of the Solstice game art he created for the cover, as well as an artists proof of the game box. I decided I wanted to make a nice framed display with both, and wanted to get a good copy of the game to go in the frame -- came across the Solstice prototype while looking and thought, "How neat!" Bought it, and then everything just kind of escalated from there.    Once I realized how much stuff there was going to be, I decided to utilize the project to also do the same thing: help preserve the history of the game.

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Mar 28, 2018 at 6:06:50 PM
Archangel3090 (37)
< El Ripper >
Manitoba
I love that, my small contribution to preservation is saving as many consoles and games I can from broken piles at pawn shops, and selling them to fund my game collection. But hey ive kept over 100 consoles from the landfill. God speed buddy very impressive!

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:38:23 PM
SUBSCRIBER
daillest (224)
(Joe ) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I wanted to make you aware of this. i dont think I would part with it but I could pm you a lead of where you might be able to find one.
Funco Hint Sheet

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:41:38 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: daillest

I wanted to make you aware of this. i dont think I would part with it but I could pm you a lead of where you might be able to find one.
Funco Hint Sheet

Oh, wow! That's very neat! Thanks for letting me know about it, I'll get it added to my list of stuff to keep an eye out for.   And, if you ever do decide you want to part with it, you know someone who's interested in obtaining it!
Also, would love any leads you might feel like sharing.  

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Edited: 03/28/2018 at 10:43 PM by Jmason333

May 26, 2018 at 9:17:36 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Just thought I'd check in and post here again to bump the thread.  

Any retro-mag collectors here that might be interested in helping me to track down a couple issues for the Solstice collection?

I've managed to gather over 32 different contemporary (1990-1992) gaming magazines that contain articles about Solstice. I've been able to track down some incredibly obscure magazines, but I'm still having trouble tracking down a few:

• Joypad (French Magazine; Issue #1; October 1991; PC Kid II "Fighting" Cover)
• RAZE (Issue #12; October 1991 (Editorial p. 46); T2 & Mario3 Cover)
• Total! (UK/English; Issue #1; January 1992; Exploding TV Cover)
• Total! (German; Issue #24; May 1995; Clear GameBoy Cover)
• Video Games (German Magazine; September 1991; Simpsons Cover)

Thanks!

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

May 29, 2018 at 8:23:30 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Ferris Bueller (225)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Just went over to the website. You have it all numbered, but had you considered adding a picture with the items numbered for quicker identification? I'm seeing little yellow circles with black numbers on the inside, possibly with a white fill.

EDIT: Lol. I just looked at your WTB list. Checking my spreadsheet to see if I have a double for the Game Play Counselors tip sheet. No go on doubles. Sorry, man. I'll double check, just to be sure.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Edited: 05/29/2018 at 08:46 AM by Ferris Bueller

May 29, 2018 at 2:11:05 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Actually, I'm putting together a compete website to document the collection and the history of Solstice. It's been a slow process due to client/publisher projects, but I should have it available in a few months. Just last week I invested in a server to host the website, and paid for it a few years in advnace to get a nice discount on the monthly fees. Having now put a big chunk of change down on the website aspect of this project, I'm sure I'll tend to consider it a higher priority than I have over the past year.  

Thanks for checking on the counselor tips, I really appreciate that. I would love to track them down for the collection. The thing is, even as much as I want to add the Solstice pages to my collection, I also hate the idea of breaking up a set from a binder. Conundrum...  Maybe somewhere out there someone has an already-incomplete set they're be willing to work with me on. We'll see!

Thanks again!

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:49:01 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
Topic: Jell-O 1990 Nintendo World Championship promotion. Cut out tip cards on the inside of boxes. There seem to be a total of three cards for every game included in the promotion. The tip cards were printed inside the boxes of Jello Puddin Pops and Gelatin Pops.

I've been looking for the Solstice tip cards since I started this project. I'm beginning to think I'm chasing a ghost. Has anyone ever actually seen on of the Solstice tip cards from this promotion? It would be good to know that I'm not wasting my time in the extensive search for them.

I've been informed by collectors that there are indeed Solstice tip cards; though none of those collectors have seen them.

This Solstice promo ( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_lBN... ) would seem to suggest there was indeed the intent to take part in the promotion.

However, I have never seen one of the Solstice cards, I've never spoken to anyone who has seen one, I've never read anywhere on the internet about someone who claims to have one or seen one. Maybe a deadline was missed and they never came into being? Or, perhaps I've just been unlucky so far.

Tip cards that I've found so far:
1. Captain Skyhawk
2. Code Name Viper
3. Crystalis
4. Double Dragon II
5. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Tetris

Original Advertisement for the Jell-O Promotion can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jas...

The original advertisement for the "Nintendo Tip Cards" Jell-O promotion shows six different cards (four partially obscured).
From the design on the cards I've got I can discern what all six of those cards in the advertisement are.

Stack #1 (Left) in Ad:
Top: Super Mario Bros. 3 (already have)
Middle: Code Name Viper (already have)
Bottom: Double Dragon II (already have)

Stack #2 (Right) in Ad:
Top: Double Dragon II (already have)
Middle: Code Name Viper (already have)
Bottom: Super Mario Bros. 3 (already have)

Doing an extensive search on the internet, the only cards I've seen in search results are:
Captain Skyhawk (already have)
Code Name Viper (already have)
Crystalis (already have)
Double Dragon II (already have)

I've come across some really rare and unexpected stuff while working on this project, but these Solstice tip cards from the Jell-O promotion elude any evidence of their actual existence.

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---

Nov 13, 2018 at 12:55:11 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Jmason333 (2)
Kentucky
And, I've answered my own question about the Solstice tip cards for the 1990 Jell-O Nintendo Promotion. These in fact, do not exist. I've been chasing a ghost  

In the advertisement for the promotion, both boxes clearly state "Collect All 18"

Now that I have cards for each of the six above mentioned games, each card states "Collect All 9 Tips for [Game]" -- there are 3 tips per card. This means 3 cards for each of those 6 games is a total of 18 cards...

I'm kind of bummed that I've invested this much time chasing down something that's non-existent, but also glad I can now check off a missing item from my collection list.

---   ---   ---
---   ---   ---