Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew CYO NES game

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:44:52 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: SnoopKatt

Fun game! Love the minimalist design and the music is pretty cool. I do wish there was a little more detail on the enemies and some more sound effects but otherwise I'm glad I downloaded it
Thanks!

Oh well, to be honest I was expecting a better picture (you cannot even read "victory!", I know it is there because I coded it), however I have no reasons to believe this is a fake or was made cheating, so it seems like someone is getting a free cart!

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:29:31 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
New York

I did take a better close up pic of the screen.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:23:44 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (151)
(Jason Fleck) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Dammit, Mog! LOL! I got to like 300K last night before I had to call it quits and sleep. Was going to get it tonight. Nice job, sir!

-------------------------
"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:49:08 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: user

however I have no reasons to believe this is a fake or was made cheating, so it seems like someone is getting a free cart!
Mog is a monster at space shooters.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:22:24 PM
KHAN Games (88)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel
  Mog is a monster at video games in general.

Fixed.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:41:43 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel
  Mog is a monster at video games in general.

Fixed.

Both statements are true

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:53:46 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
@everyone I sent emails recently about this project.

"" Monday, 8:09 AM Pacific Time: We're working to resolve a service outage that is affecting some services. Some people may not be able to access their email accounts. ""

In case you answered me, I apologize about it, but I cannot read my mails atm because of a problem of my mail provider. I hope the issue will be fixed soon, and I will check out often if it is fixed.

Thank you for understanding if I'm not aswering you right away.

Edit: it seems like the issue is fixed now.

Edited: 12/14/2015 at 03:15 PM by user

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:55:02 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Mog

I did take a better close up pic of the screen.  

once again: CONGRATULATIONS!

I'll add this pic to the opening post!

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:13:13 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Since I've been contacted to format a simple manual for another game, I publish here a simple template I made in few minutes for a 8 pages (easy to expand copy-pasting pages, make sure to have a multiple of 4 pages in the end) 5+1/4 x 4" (dimensions kindly provided by Neodolphino) manual, in case someone needs it for a little project. Format odt, so you need Open Office (free download at openoffice.org) to edit it. I like fonts like Trebuchet MS (not too fancy, not too boring) for such kind of manuals, but you can pretty easily change it to Arial, Times New Roman, or whatever you like better selecting all text and changing font (you probably need to edit a bit the spacing between lines to fill up the page nicely after changing font). This is pretty much what I used for Cyo's manual, except adding an image (graphical icon) before each "title" section to illustarte its content.

Feel free to use it, edit it, claim it yours, or whatever it, it is of course in free domain.

Cheers!

Edited: 01/05/2016 at 05:32 AM by user

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:59:40 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
My apologies to everyone, plans for a physical release of this game have been canceled.
Mog will receive (hopefully before Christmas) my designer #2 LE copy of 0 to X instead.
Thanks to Mog and SoleGooseProductions for accepting these terms.

Thanks to all for your patience.

Cheers!

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:15:59 AM
SUBSCRIBER
JamesRobot (16)
(AKA JamsGobot ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
I'm a little late to the party but I finally had a chance to play this. User, I like your work; you have a distinct style to your games. Great simplicity and impact. I was practically mesmerized while playing this. It's a great quality that few games today achieve. Sorry to hear their won't be a physical release. Thanks for the free game!

Edited: 12/17/2015 at 01:16 AM by JamesRobot

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:36:42 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

I'm a little late to the party but I finally had a chance to play this. User, I like your work; you have a distinct style to your games. Great simplicity and impact. I was practically mesmerized while playing this. It's a great quality that few games today achieve. Sorry to hear their won't be a physical release. Thanks for the free game!

If it is for your personal use, you are more than welcome to buy a board, a shell, program it with this ROM (NROM, easy), stick this label attached onto it.

It would bother me if you would sell it and/or distribute it as yours, making money out of my work. But if it is for your own benefit, it fits "free for personal use".

By the way, if you do so, post a picture of it here!

Thanks for the nice words!

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:57:32 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Updated the project page with downloads for the complete manual in pdf format and the label here above.

Edit: updated also the FAQ section on the first post.

Edited: 01/05/2016 at 05:32 AM by user

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:44:53 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Thanks to NA and to everyone tried out this ROM, so many downloads (and comments) in just a week or so!

I still wonder: was anyone else, except for master Mog, able defeat this game by now? Any other picture of a victory screen? Any funny screen shot?
Did anyone experiment to put this ROM on his/her own NES cart? If so, which board was used? Was it easy? How to do it? Any picture of it?
Also, does the ROM correctly work on both EverDrive and PowerPak? Did anyone take a video of the gameplay? Any link?
Did anyone else link this project web page to his/her videogame related blog or web page?

Cheers!

Edit: misspelling.

Edited: 01/05/2016 at 05:33 AM by user

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:02:06 AM
SUBSCRIBER
JamesRobot (16)
(AKA JamsGobot ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
Originally posted by: user

Thanks to NA and to everyone tried out this ROM, so many downloads (and comments) in just a week or so!

I still wonder: was anyone else, except for master Mog, able defeat this game by now? Any other picture of a victory screen? Any funny screen shot?
Did anyone experiment to put this ROM on his/her own NES cart? If so, which board was used? Was it easy? How to do it? Any picture of it?
Also, does the ROM correctly work on both EverDrive and PowerPak? Did anyone take a video of the gameplay? Any link?
Did anyone else link this project web page ( http://cyo.atspace.com/ ) to his/her videogame related blog or web page?

Cheers!

Edit: misspelling.
It worked flawlessly on the PowerPak for me.  While I would love to have a physical copy, I'm too damn lazy to make my own.  I am pretty sure I could defeat the game but haven't been able to put in the time.  Thanks again for this great little shoot em up!

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:44:26 AM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Good job, man!
But ... Black screen instead of space ? It became antiquated . Can you redraw background?

My NES hacks on Romhacking.net
>>Oldschool Beta-tester<< My latest ROM-hack. http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:36:01 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: lancuster

Good job, man!
But ... Black screen instead of space ? It became antiquated . Can you redraw background?

Thanks!

I *think* that when in empty space a very strong light (like a close star, like the sun for us) hits from the left side to the point that a ship would be draw using white pixels on the left side and dark gray pixel on the right side, then light from all other (far away) stars would barely be noticeable to the naked eye, or likely not noticeable at all, and in any case irrelevant in-game to communicate that this is space.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wiki...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wiki...

I can be wrong on the matter. Please, if so, anyone, correct me.

Unfortunately, I have little knowledge in physics, and I have little knowledge in photography.

Anyways, in my honest opinion, messing up the background of this game with colored dots (or whatever else), would just make, in facts, a mess. What would be your suggestion? Can you show a better example of space background than the pics from wikipedia ISS page linked above to explain better your point about the need in this game to "draw space in the background" and about a "black screen not being space-like enough"? Thanks!

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:01:48 AM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Okay. Can I find a bg tiles to redraw it by myself?

>>Oldschool Beta-tester<< My latest ROM-hack. http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:09:55 AM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
[quote]Plans for a physical release of the game on real NES cartriges(complete of box, manualand label), to be played on a NTCS[/quote] It will be correctly - NTSC region . Remedy , please .

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:05:39 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

[quote]Plans for a physical release of the game on real NES cartriges(complete of box, manualand label), to be played on a NTCS[/quote] It will be correctly - NTSC region . Remedy , please .
I don't get your point. Famicom is NTSC, AFAIK Japan is NTSC region, and a NES NTSC cart I doubt it would fit in a Famicom. The game was planned (and such plans have been canceled) to be released on NTSC NES carts, I *think* the sentence on the preject web page is correct. Then if it works in other NTSC regions on other clone systems, ok, still the game is made (and tested) for NTSC NES. What should I write? "...for NTSC NES, or NTSC whatever regional clone system you have as long as it uses the same carts and hopefully works too, or NTSC Famicom if you have an adapter since the cart is shaped differently and hopefully will work but it is not tested on such system, or PAL NES if you don't mind about the music being wrong and the game being slower and not being tested on your system, or on recent NES clones hoping such clones do a nice job and that the game works even if not tested on such systems...". I have the game tested on a specific system (NTSC NES) and claim that on such system it works. Honestly, I see no reasons to write something more or something else.

And however, since the game won't be released physically, it seems to me completely useless to discuss the issue itself.

By the way, did you test the ROM on another NTSC region clone system?

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:07:12 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
^___ sorry, never mind, I got it now. NT_C_S.

Yep, I'll correct it right now. thanks!

Edit: corrected now: NTSC. Thanks!

Edited: 12/21/2015 at 12:02 PM by user

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:13:48 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

Okay. Can I find a bg tiles to redraw it by myself?

You can experiment editing the ROM for yourself as much as you want.

If you edit my ROM and redistrubute it, I won't like it.

You cannot redistribute or sell the modified game ROM claiming it is your work.
You cannot redistribute or sell the modified game ROM from your webpage.

If you make a patch, feel free to do what you please.

Edit the ROM for your personal use: yes. Edit the ROM and sell/redistribute to others: no.

If it is a patch: ok, publish it, no problems, as long as the original ROM still downloadble only from the project page cyo.atspace.com

Respect my work, and I'll respect yours.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:48:32 PM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Unfortunately, I can't find bg tiles. I fill all of the free space in rom, but no results. Or I do something wrong.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:24:33 PM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Only that I found - tile of right vertical line. And I switch color to white.

Dec 21, 2015 at 2:00:34 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

Only that I found - tile of right vertical line. And I switch color to white.

You can't edit this game background in that way. You must reverse engineer the ROM, understand how background data is buffered, create new background tiles to draw the background you like, and rebuild a new ROM. Unless you are competent in reverse engineering the assembly code from the ROM, I honestly think that you won't make it.

Why instead of hacking other people work, don't your start your own homebrew and share your own project with others?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

That's less work than "fix up" this one.

Edit: corrected link, added a sentence.

Edited: 12/21/2015 at 02:03 PM by user