Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew The Official Swords and Runes Production Thread Update 10/22/15: The NA Edition Revealed!

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:17:47 AM
SUBSCRIBER
M-Tee (26)
(M Tee) < Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions
That looks absolutely gorgeous. I totally dig the offset lettering too.

Edited: 04/21/2015 at 11:18 AM by M-Tee

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:16:09 PM
Mackdow (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Scotland
Looks nice, into it

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:54:25 AM
SoleGooseProductions (120)
(Beau ) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Update!, and advice needed . Pardon the poor lighting, but the camera has a mind of its own. Thanks for all of the feedback so far as well.

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:59:50 AM
K3VBOT (279)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Looking great so far Goose!! Really stoked to see this project coming to life!

As for the paint or no paint. I think they both look great. I'm a huge fan of the stained wood look. I like the popping colors of the paint, but I think it takes away from the look of the wood.
Setting new Benchmarks here!!

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:01:13 AM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (159)
(Justin ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
It's a tough choice as painting takes away from the old time and more simple appeal of plain wood, but adding the color ties the front of the box into the interior (which will be really cool with the different versions). The color also breaks up a bit of the wood tone monotony and makes it pop a bit.
I think I like the paint, but I'd most likely add a bit of a laquor over it

Apr 26, 2015 at 11:25:03 AM
SUBSCRIBER
M-Tee (26)
I'd vote against the paint. Perhaps a stain or a more translucent application of color would be better, something that allows the woodgrain to show.

See leftmost example:

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:00:59 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (159)
(Justin ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: M-Tee

I'd vote against the paint. Perhaps a stain or a more translucent application of color would be better, something that allows the woodgrain to show.

See leftmost example:
Getting different color stains would certainly be a great option, but will be a bit harder to control.  It would look more "authentic" in the end

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:33:34 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

4/26/15 - To Paint, or Not to Paint...

Throughout the process of designing the LE box, I have more or less adhered to the original idea that I had when first thinking it up last fall. One aspect, however, that I have debated time and again was whether or not to paint the face of the protagonist. I have generally always preferred black and white drawings to those done in color, but that could partially be due to the fact that my drawings always seem to go awry when color is added to them. With that being said, here is what the prototype box looks like when painted:

What do you all think? Any thoughts, comments, or opinions would be helpful, and don't forget to factor in that there will be four different box designs and therefore four different color schemes for the different characters (each matching the interior cloth as well). Thanks for any input in advance, and for the thoughtful comments last week. Oh, and pardon my crooked letters, this is one of the many reasons for a proto after all.

~SGP

I really like both solutions, natural and painted.
Maybe this is a crazy idea, but, would it be possible to have the paint look "metallic"?
Just wondering, but it would be great if an experiment in sich direction was possible.

However, whatever you chose: Awesome Box!

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:00:34 PM
mattbep (104)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I'm really not sure if I like the box painted or not. I guess that means you could go either way and I'd still like it.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:22:47 PM
eric.of.troy (82)
(... Eric?) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania

4/26/15 - To Paint, or Not to Paint...

How about wood burning the shades into it? That would keep the original feel much better in my opinion.

Red would be as dark as the letters, dark grey a bit lighter and the light grey a light burn.

I do custom repros!!  -->  Eric's Repros and Sales Thread

Edited: 04/26/2015 at 04:23 PM by eric.of.troy

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:38:29 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Ferris Bueller (211)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
I wouldn't paint, I'd stain. Just a thought.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:39:00 AM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I agree with the votes for stain instead of paint, if you're going to add color.

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:56:45 PM
eric.of.troy (82)
(... Eric?) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Yea, staining might be easier and more uniform than burning. Not sure if the lines there are burnt or cut, but either way, I don't think it'd bleed too badly.

I do custom repros!!  -->  Eric's Repros and Sales Thread

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:58:10 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (149)
(Jason Fleck) < El Ripper >
Missouri
I will be the weird one and say paint. You can control the color and quality better, I would think. But obviously I am in the minority.

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

May 11, 2015 at 11:29:07 AM
SoleGooseProductions (120)
(Beau ) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Want a sneak Peek of the map?! Head on over to M-Tee's site and check it out: http://www.mteegfx.com/... . He did an amazing job with it, as you can see. Personally, I am floored by how good it turned out, how well it fits with the game itself, and how well it reflects user's original vision of the world.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

May 11, 2015 at 12:45:12 PM
KHAN Games (88)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Looks amazing, and doesn't surprise me one bit. M-Tee is a freaking beast.

May 11, 2015 at 12:54:15 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Looks great!

Wondering if I missed a map update in the beta testing thread, though, since that isn't quite how I envisioned the overworld based on my maps during testing.

May 11, 2015 at 2:25:12 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

Want a sneak Peek of the map?! Head on over to M-Tee's site and check it out: http://www.mteegfx.com/ . He did an amazing job with it, as you can see. Personally, I am floored by how good it turned out, how well it fits with the game itself, and how well it reflects user's original vision of the world.

Wonderful!

May 11, 2015 at 8:43:48 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (159)
(Justin ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Man, that map looks completely amazing!

May 11, 2015 at 10:58:09 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Looks great!

Wondering if I missed a map update in the beta testing thread, though, since that isn't quite how I envisioned the overworld based on my maps during testing.

This is the silly map I posted in the testing thread I guess.

Except for Dago being changed to Tyon. And Hozimhut to Hozimut. AFAIR these were the only editings.

In this game the exploration distance scale is not "linear", which means a single screen can be 100 yards or miles away, it depends. So to go from Falkern to orcland think as you go UP a bit like few hundred yards to exit the city, then go RIGHT a long while preteding to move on the E-SE axis (rather than "pure" EAST) for miles, ending up more south than Falkern. Road and paths are never perfectly aligned to a NSWE direction, fi. Route 66 you think of it E-W, but in reality it ends up way more south from where it starts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S....

Moreover, harbors make things even more tricky, which IMHO give a nice adventure feeling moving around the map, and saves tons of "getting back following a boring path" time to teh player. Only important locations, for a reason or another, are accessible, the road "between them" is not represented in game.

Bottom line: I think the artist drawing the map made an excellent job representing the game fictional world background and its geography.

May 11, 2015 at 11:28:20 PM
SUBSCRIBER
M-Tee (26)
Thanks for the credit. It was extremely fun to do, but I didn't take any liberties in geography. I literally printed an outline of map above, sans-text, at about 5% opacity and drew the new map over it.

The greatest liberties I took were definitely in architecture as I chose to interpret the Najir Kingdom as having a vaguely North African influence with the Kildon Empire being more European-inspired.

The border is actually an inked version of the in-game border as well if anyone hasn't noticed. 

Here's the map for anyone that hasn't followed the link, by the way.

Many of the finer details are lost at this resolution, such as in Klungaarl or Mahelyn. I'll probably post details later, but SGP has the full resolution file from the raw inks which will be used for production purposes.

...Also, fantasy maps are now officially in my commissionable repertoire, if anyone else needs one. *wink wink* 

Edited: 05/11/2015 at 11:30 PM by M-Tee

May 12, 2015 at 8:38:12 AM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of the layout in less abstract terms.

May 12, 2015 at 9:39:54 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

Yeah. Another example, all cities have the same map layout with the river on the bottom of the screen (AFAIR this is mostly true also for some FF games). So the cities on the Tyon River which runs North to South are orientated with north on the right instead of on top, and south on the left instead of on bottom. While Falkern is orientated North top, South bottom.

May 12, 2015 at 9:52:53 AM
SUBSCRIBER
M-Tee (26)
The fact that screen-up is not always north helps it make so much more sense to me now.

Edited: 05/12/2015 at 10:50 AM by M-Tee

May 12, 2015 at 10:05:01 AM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: user

Yeah. Another example, all cities have the same map layout with the river on the bottom of the screen (AFAIR this is mostly true also for some FF games). So the cities on the Tyon River which runs North to South are orientated with north on the right instead of on top, and south on the left instead of on bottom. While Falkern is orientated North top, South bottom.

Fair enough.

When I played through the game, I always had the sense that all the cities were scattered along the coastline with the water to the south.

(ignored the sketched map, since it didn't line up with how I mapped by hand )