Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

*BOUNTY ADDED* unknown video game image from 1996 WIN $100 USD VIA PAYPAL GIFT

Mar 08 at 7:52:54 AM
john (20)
(John ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Say chaps, I recently got my case fresh copy of Greg Winters '96 signed by none other than Greg Winters himself. In addition to that, it is autographed by then NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, then NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw, John Madden, and Canadian football legend Warren Moon. 

Greg Winters '96 SNES Signed

Previously, I had a buyer offer me $486,000 for it. Just today, I received an offer of $486,011. Before I bite, I am wondering if you could help appraise its value in light of the latest value-enhancing signatures that have been added. 

Mar 08 at 10:11:47 AM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Bronty

Good thought but thundercats is 1985 and this is 1996, and the sword of omens has a different look.

the other greg (Martin) did do some lovely thundercats work

Yeah, I have a hard time believing you would waste time making a detailed/decent painting of a generic sword when you have VERY clear source material for the Sword of Omens.

-------------------------

Mar 08 at 9:48:23 PM
Buyatari (7)
(Adam Harvey) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Originally posted by: john

Say chaps, I recently got my case fresh copy of Greg Winters '96 signed by none other than Greg Winters himself. In addition to that, it is autographed by then NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, then NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw, John Madden, and Canadian football legend Warren Moon. 

Previously, I had a buyer offer me $486,000 for it. Just today, I received an offer of $486,011. Before I bite, I am wondering if you could help appraise its value in light of the latest value-enhancing signatures that have been added. 

No signed game is complete without a Miyamoto signature. 

Mar 08 at 10:57:32 PM
john (20)
Florida
Originally posted by: Buyatari

No signed game is complete without a Miyamoto signature. 

Indeed. I'll see what I can do. Let's refrain from valuation estimates for the time being.

Mar 09 at 11:03:10 AM
RPGBros (0)
(Fairness Peck) < Cherub >
United States
I emailed the artists representatives. They don't know what this painting is from. I emailed the artist too (if it's the same Greg Winters), but haven't heard back yet.

Mar 09 at 1:50:17 PM
john (20)
Florida
I flew out to San Francisco  and was fortunate to catch Miyamoto during his post-GDC tour. I waited in line for 6 hours. You wouldn't believe these suckas bringing him cart after cart of BotW to sign, which takes forever on those little cartridges.

When I arrived, I gave a bow and presented him, arms outstretched, with my case fresh heavily autographed copy of Greg Winters '96. He was dismayed at first. I had to explain the reasoning behind why his iconic signature had to grace this iconic game. Thanks to Buyatari, whose in line quote helped expedite the process. Upon realization of the grandiose significance of this signing, he went well out of his way. Miyamoto insisted on signing it in the form of tiny, tiny Kirby stickers. It took another 75 minutes for him to complete this project.

Greg Winters '96 Autographed Miyamoto

I am proud to share this with you today. Finally, my collection is complete. This is worth at least eleventy billion dollars  now, but is approaching infinity, for I will never sell it.

Mar 09 at 11:00:48 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
I was thinking I had seen that sword before..  It's so familiar then it hit me!  It's black manta!

GRRR!

Mar 10 at 3:53:25 PM
Ichinisan (3)
< Lolo Lord >
Georgia

I was with you til you started down the whole stock image thing.. zero chance of that. Maybe today with photoshop, big budget games, and lots of staff but that is just not how it was done back then. Nobody was shelling out 10k (in 1990s dollars!  What's that in today's dollars?   25k ?) to have a piece of art made to file in a drawer in case they make an rpg in three years. (Keep in mind there were layers above Greg all of which had to be paid and pay their expenses so he got less than half), but what the client shelled out was a big number.

It wasn't 2017 and you couldn't pay some kid fresh out of school twenty bucks an hour to sit around on photoshop. You were paying "real" artists a bunch of money from your small budget to make the package look good. Of the dozens of guys I've personally spoken to none ever was paid to create a stock image. Were things unpublished at times - yes - if the game was shelved or occasionally if they wanted to go another direction with the art. But big bucks for stuff to sit on a shelf was not happening.

Certainly it could have been unpublished and your perspective is interesting for considering how it might be done today, but that's now and this was then

Maybe it wasn't $10,000. I don't think anyone spent that much on the artwork for that Megaman ad from the same artist.

Killer Instinct Gold (N64)
"Remove the Rumble Pak(tm)"

Mar 10 at 3:57:16 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Ichinisan

Maybe it wasn't $10,000. I don't think anyone spent that much on the artwork for that Megaman ad from the same artist.

I'm assuming Bronty is using a "going rate" as a reference point for what the major artists charged for any job of this type.

(though from a pricing standpoint, it might be interesting to know what elements added cost, or whether size was the only major factor)

Edited: 03/10/2017 at 04:00 PM by arch_8ngel

Mar 10 at 5:26:51 PM
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I'm assuming Bronty is using a "going rate" as a reference point for what the major artists charged for any job of this type.

(though from a pricing standpoint, it might be interesting to know what elements added cost, or whether size was the only major factor)

Again, the artists were only part of it.   They were typically paid 2500-5000, whatever the job.   The cover for mega man x3 wouldn't have paid any differently then then an ad for mega man x3.     There were other people to pay however.    The total cost to the client was double or more, yeah, even for those mega man 7 jail bars - for any of these jobs.   

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Mar 10 at 5:30:46 PM
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

As for the size of the painting, it didn't matter.   In fact, from what I've surmised, Greg may have taken the opposite approach.     The size didn't determine the cost.   The cost (the price they were paying) determined the size he'd give them (ie the amount of work he'd put in).    Same as the guy painting your bathroom.    Your budget is small?  One coat, rush job.    Your budget is big?   Two coats, lots of time spent on every little detail to get it perfect.  

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 03/10/2017 at 05:31 PM by Bronty

Mar 10 at 5:32:52 PM
john (20)
Florida
The sad part is artists are getting about 1/1000 price for originating these works versus what you are willing to pay for them after the fact. Flipping game art itself should be a business without making the games and all that expensive stuff.

Mar 10 at 5:35:06 PM
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

it might be interesting to know what elements added cost

it was mainly a fixed fee business, although I've seen some of Lee Macleod's invoices where he billed changes (client wanting certain things redone) as a separate line.

Lee is/was Greg Martin's best friend, and did many lovely pieces in his own right including many of the NES/SNES/GB ultima covers (the better ones, generally), rpgmaker for ps1, certain nintendo power posters, lots of others.   Not sure how well but I suspect he knows Winters as well. 

Edited: 03/10/2017 at 05:36 PM by Bronty

Mar 10 at 5:35:22 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

As for the size of the painting, it didn't matter.   In fact, from what I've surmised, Greg may have taken the opposite approach.     The size didn't determine the cost.   The cost (the price they were paying) determined the size he'd give them (ie the amount of work he'd put in).    Same as the guy painting your bathroom.    Your budget is small?  One coat, rush job.    Your budget is big?   Two coats, lots of time spent on every little detail to get it perfect.  

The guy painting your bathroom is basically giving you a quote based on the size.

The two coats in your example, is basically him charging you for painting the same area twice. 
(though not twice as expensive, since the setup/cleanup is a one-time thing)

That is, he's giving you a quote based on the specific requirements of the job you've requested.

It sounds like in Greg's case, you're saying that they generally had loose "requirements", though, to where he worked how he wanted within the fee he was paid.

Mar 10 at 5:36:59 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

The sad part is artists are getting about 1/1000 price for originating these works versus what you are willing to pay for them after the fact. Flipping game art itself should be a business without making the games and all that expensive stuff.

He said Greg was getting $2500 - $5000 in the 80's/90's.

Maybe I've missed the headlines, but is somebody paying $5,000,000 for his video game cover paintings?

Mar 10 at 5:38:00 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

it was mainly a fixed fee business, although I've seen some of Lee Macleod's invoices where he billed changes (client wanting certain things redone) as a separate line.

Lee is/was Greg Martin's best friend, and did many lovely pieces in his own right including many of the NES/SNES/GB ultima covers (the better ones, generally), rpgmaker for ps1, certain nintendo power posters, lots of others.   Not sure how well but I suspect he knows Winters as well. 

Yeah, I was just curious if the spec of how many characters or faces they might want shown factored in, or if it was all at the artists discretion.

Mar 10 at 5:39:29 PM
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

The guy painting your bathroom is basically giving you a quote based on the size.

The two coats in your example, is basically him charging you for painting the same area twice. 
(though not twice as expensive, since the setup/cleanup is a one-time thing)

That is, he's giving you a quote based on the specific requirements of the job you've requested.

It sounds like in Greg's case, you're saying that they generally had loose "requirements", though, to where he worked how he wanted within the fee he was paid.

I think you've stated it better than I have.   I suspect, though I haven't asked Greg, that he treated the big clients better too.    That's just based on me thinking that his best work, the most impressive paintings in person (at least to me) were for his biggest client, capcom.    They were all great and everything, but the impression I have (again, I haven't asked Greg so this is personal conjecture only) is he went the extra mile for them.

Edited: 03/10/2017 at 05:45 PM by Bronty

Mar 10 at 5:41:11 PM
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Yeah, I was just curious if the spec of how many characters or faces they might want shown factored in, or if it was all at the artists discretion.

No, the process was more... here's some general facts about the game and/or some things we want incorporated in the art, come up with four rough sketches please by Wednesday.

On Wednesday they review all four, and approve sketch #2.    This was sometimes by fax back then.

Sketch #2 gets painted. 

The number of faces and such, as far as I know, never came into it.

Edited: 03/10/2017 at 05:43 PM by Bronty

Mar 14 at 7:21:53 PM
NiO (3)
(NiO ErZeBeTh) < Meka Chicken >
Mexico
A friend of mine says he knows what game is...

Its a pc game called Civilization II

Hey yo, check this out https://www.facebook.com/deadpool...

Mar 14 at 7:24:27 PM
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
do you have any other details? He did do some work for that title, but a sword in the ground like that would be such an odd fit for that game..

Edited: 03/14/2017 at 07:24 PM by Bronty

Mar 14 at 7:34:54 PM
Daria (28)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida

do you have any other details? He did do some work for that title, but a sword in the ground like that would be such an odd fit for that game..

Unless it was for one of the fantasy expansions. 

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Mar 14 at 7:39:42 PM
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
True, and he did work for those too..

Mar 17 at 4:44:23 PM
john (20)
Florida
Welp, I finally caved and got this baby VGA'd. I'm not sure why they boxed it longwise, but they are The Authority, not me.

New estimated value: Eleventy Billion x 106 x e472

Edited: 03/17/2017 at 04:49 PM by john

Mar 17 at 5:28:20 PM
Bronty (63)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Welp, I finally caved and got this baby VGA'd. I'm not sure why they boxed it longwise, but they are The Authority, not me.

New estimated value: Eleventy Billion x 106 x e472

Clearly fake.    Max grade with signatures is a 70, remember     

Edited: 03/17/2017 at 05:28 PM by Bronty

Mar 22 at 8:51:44 PM
TRAX (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Germany

the dimensions directly let me think about a gameboy manual!

also there are a lot of nice artworks hidden in these booklets!

a lot of possible games:

rageing fighter / outburst has a similar art style
castlevania games
tons of rpgs like rolan´s curse 1 & 2 ....

to bad i dont have all my manuals at hand right now.

Edited: 03/22/2017 at 08:56 PM by TRAX