Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Introducing: Wata Games Certification All things Wata and Video Game Certification

Apr 05 at 7:16:48 PM
startyde (3)
(Jon P) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
While an interesting prospect, I'm fundamentally weary of this because it is so based on NA members. I can easily see the community being divided over the mechanics of a grading firm.

His game graded higher than mine, you must favor him.

You said my game was damaged in the mail, but I packed it well, it must have been you, etc etc.

I can see ppl taking sides and causing general animosity. There is a reason CGA graders are anonymous. They would be hunted down in their sleep by many otherwise.

-------------------------

Edited: 04/05/2018 at 07:17 PM by startyde

Apr 06 at 8:25:56 AM
GPX (1)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: startyde

While an interesting prospect, I'm fundamentally weary of this because it is so based on NA members. I can easily see the community being divided over the mechanics of a grading firm.

You said my game was damaged in the mail, but I packed it well, it must have been you, etc etc.

I can see ppl taking sides and causing general animosity. There is a reason CGA graders are anonymous. They would be hunted down in their sleep by many otherwise.
Well people on here are already taking sides for the past few years with the "sealed vs unsealed" and the "VGA vs ungraded" debates. So this perhaps might add more fuel to the heated tension in some ways. I can see a few pros and cons, but still interested to see how things pan out in time.

Though to you guys at WATA, i had a question earlier which has remained unanswered:
Just curious to know if there will be markings to differentiate a score of 9+ between a MIB and a New but opened game? I think this is an important aspect of this new service, where likely there will be plenty of mint CIBs sent in amongst the new "Qualified" ones.

Apr 06 at 8:29:11 AM
phart010 (4)
(Paul Hart) < Crack Trooper >
North Carolina
How will you guys be handling unconventionally sealed games.

Like Nortec games? Nortec was Nintendo's officially recognized distributor in Greece. As a heads up to anyone that doesn't know, PAL games didn't come in Greek language, so Nortec standard process was to take PAL games, carefully cut the seal and insert a Greek instruction manual, then put their Nortec seal over the cut plastic.

I have some Nortec sealed and I'm wondering if you guys would be required to break the Nortec seal or just refuse to grade the game?

Also Wii/Wii U/DS Refurbished games sold by the Nintendo store.. Some of them came with the traditional cellophane seal, but many just came in a regular case with a little adhesive circular seal on the edge of the case to prevent you from opening it. Unfortunately, the circle seal was not extremely adhesive and many of the adhesive circular seals have come off. Its not the conventional way of sealing games, but it still came directly from Nintendo that way, and whether you like this style of seal or not, it serves the purpose of indicating whether or not the case has been opened (even if it fails in a large percentage of cases)

Seeking Sealed Refurbished by Nintendo games for Wii/U, (3)DS with red stripe
New SMB, New SMB+Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Pikmin NewPlay Ctrl, Mario 3D World, Kirby Epic Yarn
Need:MarioKart DS/Wii/8, Luigi U, Metroid Trilogy

Edited: 04/06/2018 at 08:56 AM by phart010

Apr 06 at 9:48:11 PM
BigIVIO (26)
(Matt Gerry) < Meka Chicken >
Missouri
You know, I'm a web developer for a living, this is one very well built site. I'll have to get a couple games graded soon. Excellent work with this site guys.

Apr 06 at 10:29:22 PM
BigIVIO (26)
(Matt Gerry) < Meka Chicken >
Missouri
On your perks page it states that if you join prior to June 1st, 2018 that you'd be auto bumped to "First Dungeon" status, but when I joined I am still at the "Start Screen" status/level. Is this something you guys will fix later??

Apr 07 at 8:43:31 PM
ziggy (0)

< Crack Trooper >
I check the site and I like the easy way to submit and the cases but! I have a big question about "CIB"

first CIB is NOT!!!!!! just the box, manual and game! so they only grade TRULLY COMPLETE games? or at least they put notes in labels like (GAME-BOX-MANUAL)
they check if all inserts/posters etc inside the game are complete??? and if are also inspect that all inserts correspond to the game? (YES are variations on the manuals and carts and boxes) a lot people tends to MIX the box+game+manual from different sources and claims that they have a CIB, by example super mario world variations on labels and manuals etc. or Bart vs Space mutants box variation etc. I don't want see more people claims that they have a COMPLETE IN BOX GAME and is just the box,manual and game and also with mixing variations, awful.

Apr 07 at 10:14:29 PM
phart010 (4)
(Paul Hart) < Crack Trooper >
North Carolina
If you want to be Real technical listen to this. Some people say CIB means "complete in box" but others say it stands for "cart (or cd), instructions, box"

Hence the usage of CB, CI in conjunction with CIB. These acronyms wouldn't make sense if you were to say they mean "complete box", "complete in". But they do make sense if you mean for them "cart+Box" or "cart+Instructions"

So if you mean CIB "complete in box" then you're right it's not complete unless it includes all those little pieces of paper that the publishers never expected you to hold on to. But if you mean CIB "cart+instructions+box" then technically you can get away with just having the instructions manual.

I personally don't think the little pieces of paper really add any value to a game after its already been opened. If you really want to add value to a game, keep it sealed. Then those little pieces of paper will be there guaranteed

Seeking Sealed Refurbished by Nintendo games for Wii/U, (3)DS with red stripe
New SMB, New SMB+Luigi U, Pikmin 3, Pikmin NewPlay Ctrl, Mario 3D World, Kirby Epic Yarn
Need:MarioKart DS/Wii/8, Luigi U, Metroid Trilogy

Apr 11 at 9:24:07 PM
superNESman (102)
(Deniz "Alpo The Great" Kahn) < Bowser >
Illinois
Originally posted by: hybrid

Originally posted by: superNESman

Originally posted by: hybrid

What about misprints
How much does it cost?
Could you please clarify your question? Are you referring to errors on Wata's part, or games that have misprints?

Games with misprints or other manufacturing errors like if I were to send you this
Games with misprints will not cost any more than a non-error game. However, as a designation, they get categorized with an “Exception” designation where the error is noted on the certification label, and the game is reported/categorized as such.

Apr 11 at 9:24:37 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: neodolphino

One thing you guys may want to consider as a service (or at least advertise) is converting VGA graded (and whatever that European grading service is) games to your service...

It might help people who have VGA graded games that like the idea of your service more, jump ship. It makes for a cleaner collection to have everything graded by the same service, and in uniform containers (instead of a hodgepodge).

We would love to provide a crossover service once we can figure out a safe way to remove games from any other holder effectively without damaging the game. Unfortunately as it currently stands doing this is difficult and time-consuming, and the last thing we want is to damage a game before we grade it. We are working on determining a viable solution.

Apr 11 at 9:25:05 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: GPX

Just curious to know if there will be markings to differentiate a score of 9+ between a MIB and a New but opened game?
I think this is an important aspect of this new service, where likely there will be plenty of mint CIBs sent in amongst the "Qualified" ones.

We believe it is black and white when determining whether a game has been opened or not. If the game is sealed, it is listed as sealed. If it is CIB but mint, it is still CIB as it has been opened. Keep in mind that being categorized as "sealed" doesn't mean necessarily that there is cellophane, as many games game brand new without cellophane. The sealed designation simply means the game is new and has never been opened, not even to look at the contents inside. If we determine that the flap has been opened even once or that the contents have ever been removed, we grade all contents in this instance. To clarify, there is a gray area that exists where games may be new/sealed but the cellophane fell off, or they may have been pack-ins with systems (e.g. Gyromite, Duck Hunt, SMB, even many foreign games never came sealed with cellophane). In these instances, when we can determine that the game has indeed never been opened, opening the game even just to verify the contents would damage the box--therefore we leave them as-is. However, since they do not fall into a strictly “sealed” category, they are categorized as what we call an “Exception” and are printed on our labels as such. For example, we have graded a pack-in Super Mario Bros. that received an Exception designation of “Unopened, new without cellophane.”

Apr 11 at 9:25:35 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: TheBiRD

Very excited to see the website on April! 3 questions here :
1. About grading homebrew/ repro that are still "sealed". Will it be opened and graded as Cib or you will grade it as sealed?
2. Will the database of all the graded game will be available? Just curious if I may wanna compare my grade anking with the other submission..
3. Can you grade a CIb without the cartridge? I mean only grade the box, manual, poster?

If we determine that the Homebrew is indeed sealed and hasn’t been opened, we will treat it like a standard game in that if it originally came sealed and is submitted as sealed, we will grade it as sealed.

The database will indeed be available as a feature in the future, and will be referred to as our Census. Once there is enough data in the Census, we will share it with our users – more importantly, since we are tracking all games based on their variants and exceptions, the Census will give a full picture of the population for any given title.

We are currently only certifying CIB’s that include, at a minimum, the 3 critical components: Cart/Disc, Instructions, and Box/Case. In instances where the other components don’t exist, we will still certify the items. For example, prototype and mock-up boxes that came without manuals/cartridges, or specialized games that came without manuals such as Cheetahmen 2.

Apr 11 at 9:25:50 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: theirontoupee

How would different versions of games be handled, like the prototype-style run of Exertainment MBR or my Singer Izek proto-type-ish cart?

We have created several designations for various outliers in certification. Some of these include PRO for prototype, RPO for reproduction, HCK for hack, PIR for pirates, CFT for counterfeit, and GEN for games that are not gradable due to condition but are genuine (such as rental boxes where over 50% of the box is missing). If the game is a standard game but has an Exception, such as a misprint/error, a promotional copy, or is not sealed with cellophane but new, then this is noted under the “Exception” field on the label (this is touched on in a couple of the posts above). We believe we covered all of the bases among these categories and are able to accurately define each item and outlier by using one of the designations. We do not stop with just the designation, though. For example, pre-production samples, which are similar to prototypes, receive the PRO designation but are still noted as pre-production samples on the label so as not to confuse them with actual beta prototypes.

Apr 11 at 9:26:05 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: Krunch

Question: Will it ever be possible to grade instruction manuals using your service? What about posters (that came packed in with the game)? Or do these items fall under the epherma (sp) category?

If you are asking whether we grade just the manual, we are not currently offering this service. That is not to say that should there be enough demand for such a service we will never offer it, but currently we are only grading manuals if they are included with a CIB submission. As stated above, there are certain instances where we grade only the box, such as for prototype/mock-up boxes.

If a poster that is specific to the title is submitted, it is graded separately as a GSI (Game-Specific Insert) and is indicated on the piece grades section of the label. However, it does not factor into the overall grade of the CIB and is graded as a separate entity. All non-GSI inserts, such as warranty cards or baggies, are noted on the label as present but do not receive individual grades.

Apr 11 at 9:26:40 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Site isn't showing up for me (Wii-U gamepad). Not terribly surprising; a bunch of sites don't display on Wii-U browser anymore.

Anyway I've got some stuff laying aound I want graded.

Couple questions:

Do you test "loose" game carts and verify them working (correct roms, etc) prior to grading?

If I send a sealed game in a generic cga display case, I get the empty case back with my graded game, correct? vga used to recommend transporting games this way. I have a sealed Wario's Woods NES, Mario Pinball Land GBA, and an Atari 2600 Princess Rescue (2013 AtariAge release) that I want graded. I understand you guys don't yet support Atari but it is planned for the future. Gotta start somewhere I suppose.

Last but not least, and this is a long shot. I have the Turrican Director's Cut empty display box that came with my Analogue Super NT. The game currently exists only as digital content bundled with every Super NT console, but came with a display box. It is standard SNES form factor. Would you consider grading an item like this?
Any loose game that is submitted with a declared value of over $200, or that is submitted in a service level that is not “Select,” is tested and indicated on the label as working or not working, free of charge—it is included with your submission. If games do not work when tested, we do not stop there – we clean the connectors and try our best to make sure that the game is functioning before assigning a not-working designation. However, we still encourage anyone submitting to

If your game is under a $200 value and you would still like it to be tested and indicated on the label, we offer this as an Additional Service as well.

Apr 11 at 9:27:26 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: startyde

We understand your concern and where you are coming from. We have addressed in the past the issue of conflict of interest, but you bring up another interesting point. While some companies remain anonymous, we feel that trusted certification companies should not have anything to hide – we listened to the community and created a service that is all about transparency, and that includes who is behind the company. In fact, all of the top certification companies in the collectibles industry are transparent about who their graders are and who is involved with their services. Here are some links to give you an idea of what the industry standard is regarding this for professional certification services:

https://www.cgccomics.com/about/the_graders.asp
https://www.ngccoin.com/about/ngc-graders/
https://www.pcgs.com/experts
https://www.cbcscomics.com/about
https://www.psacard.com/experts

Apr 11 at 9:27:47 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: phart010

How will you guys be handling unconventionally sealed games.

Like Nortec games? Nortec was Nintendo's officially recognized distributor in Greece. As a heads up to anyone that doesn't know, PAL games didn't come in Greek language, so Nortec standard process was to take PAL games, carefully cut the seal and insert a Greek instruction manual, then put their Nortec seal over the cut plastic.

I have some Nortec sealed and I'm wondering if you guys would be required to break the Nortec seal or just refuse to grade the game?

Also Wii/Wii U/DS Refurbished games sold by the Nintendo store.. Some of them came with the traditional cellophane seal, but many just came in a regular case with a little adhesive circular seal on the edge of the case to prevent you from opening it. Unfortunately, the circle seal was not extremely adhesive and many of the adhesive circular seals have come off. Its not the conventional way of sealing games, but it still came directly from Nintendo that way, and whether you like this style of seal or not, it serves the purpose of indicating whether or not the case has been opened (even if it fails in a large percentage of cases)

There are many games that are outliers. I addressed this point in a few of the posts above by describing our different designations and the “Exception” designation that appears on a label. However, you bring up a very interesting situation. If when the game is in hand we are able to determine with certainty that the seal is an authentic Nortec seal, then we will not destroy the seal and will grade the game as such – it will still be regarded as an Exception, though. The second case is one that was addressed above in a different scenario, such as when cellophane falls off of a game. In these cases the games are still sealed and can be determined as to whether or not the flaps have ever been opened (albeit they receive an “Exception” designation). If the circle adhesive came off AND it is determined that the game flap was opened even just once to view the contents, then the game is no longer considered sealed and will be graded as a CIB copy.

Apr 11 at 9:28:11 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: BigIVIO

You know, I'm a web developer for a living, this is one very well built site. I'll have to get a couple games graded soon. Excellent work with this site guys.

Originally posted by: BigIVIO

On your perks page it states that if you join prior to June 1st, 2018 that you'd be auto bumped to "First Dungeon" status, but when I joined I am still at the "Start Screen" status/level. Is this something you guys will fix later??

Thank you for the kind words! We spent a lot of time and effort into creating the site that we have, so it means a lot coming from you. As with any site launch, though, we are still figuring out some of the kinks and it will take a little while to smooth everything out. Until that point your feedback is always welcomed and appreciated!

For the Wata Perks, the logic was built so that the upgrades are currently implemented after your first submission, even if it is just one game.

Apr 11 at 9:28:36 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: ziggy

I check the site and I like the easy way to submit and the cases but! I have a big question about "CIB"

first CIB is NOT!!!!!! just the box, manual and game! so they only grade TRULLY COMPLETE games? or at least they put notes in labels like (GAME-BOX-MANUAL)
they check if all inserts/posters etc inside the game are complete??? and if are also inspect that all inserts correspond to the game? (YES are variations on the manuals and carts and boxes) a lot people tends to MIX the box+game+manual from different sources and claims that they have a CIB, by example super mario world variations on labels and manuals etc. or Bart vs Space mutants box variation etc. I don't want see more people claims that they have a COMPLETE IN BOX GAME and is just the box,manual and game and also with mixing variations, awful.

The answer to your first question is given above:

“If a poster that is specific to the title is submitted, it is graded separately as a GSI (Game-Specific Insert) and is indicated on the piece grades section of the label. However, it does not factor into the overall grade of the CIB and is graded as a separate entity. All non-GSI inserts, such as warranty cards or baggies, are noted on the label as present but do not receive individual grades.”

To summarize, CIBs only require the cartridge, box, and manual to be certified, and the overall grade of a CIB takes into consideration only these 3 items.

You bring up another great point which is the mixing of different variants. The answer is: of course we note if they are the wrong insert! We are hardcore collectors and want to be sure that the right information is presented with any of your games. In fact, our Chief Advisor Mark Haspel has an article that is published on our website that specifically addresses this issue. The article is titled: “What is an IMP?” and goes into detail about how we note when a manual, cartridge, or insert is an Incorrect Married Part (IMP) that does not match the box it was originally packaged with. The article can be found at the bottom of this page:

https://www.watagames.com/learn/n...

Apr 11 at 9:28:50 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois

If you want to be Real technical listen to this. Some people say CIB means "complete in box" but others say it stands for "cart (or cd), instructions, box"

Hence the usage of CB, CI in conjunction with CIB. These acronyms wouldn't make sense if you were to say they mean "complete box", "complete in". But they do make sense if you mean for them "cart+Box" or "cart+Instructions"

So if you mean CIB "complete in box" then you're right it's not complete unless it includes all those little pieces of paper that the publishers never expected you to hold on to. But if you mean CIB "cart+instructions+box" then technically you can get away with just having the instructions manual.

I personally don't think the little pieces of paper really add any value to a game after its already been opened. If you really want to add value to a game, keep it sealed. Then those little pieces of paper will be there guaranteed

This answer can be found above, but to summarize: we only grade Cart, Box, and Manual and factor the overall grade based on the weighted grades of these 3 components. However, many games came with GSI’s (Game-Specific Inserts) such as posters or maps, that can have significant value (such as a 3 Ninjas Kick Back or Chubby Cherub poster). For GSI’s, we grade them and list them on the label, but they do not affect the overall grade. For all other “Standard Inserts” such as baggies, warranty cards, dust sleeves, Nintendo Power advertisements, etc. we list on the label if they are present, but do not grade them. We also include all contents in the high-res photos that we take of each game before certifying. That way the buyer/seller of the game will know exactly what they are getting and can make a determination of what it is worth to them, without it impacting the grade.

Apr 11 at 9:35:17 PM
ziggy (0)

< Crack Trooper >

This answer can be found above, but to summarize: we only grade Cart, Box, and Manual and factor the overall grade based on the weighted grades of these 3 components. However, many games came with GSI’s (Game-Specific Inserts) such as posters or maps, that can have significant value (such as a 3 Ninjas Kick Back or Chubby Cherub poster). For GSI’s, we grade them and list them on the label, but they do not affect the overall grade. For all other “Standard Inserts” such as baggies, warranty cards, dust sleeves, Nintendo Power advertisements, etc. we list on the label if they are present, but do not grade them. We also include all contents in the high-res photos that we take of each game before certifying. That way the buyer/seller of the game will know exactly what they are getting and can make a determination of what it is worth to them, without it impacting the grade.

Sorry I go to read above,

Good but you CAN'T call a COMPLETE IN BOX (CIB) for just the manual, game and box, THAT IS NOT A COMPLETE GAME! a complete game is a game that have EVERYTHING inside, even the plastic bag, nintendo inserts, COMPLETE! otherwise is just that game, manual an box.

Also you need determinate and inspect if the manual game and box MATCH, due there's variations on manuals, carts and boxes, if not you start to get a MIXED bag of items and that is awful.

Thanks.

Edited: 04/11/2018 at 09:36 PM by ziggy

Apr 11 at 9:37:25 PM
superNESman (102)
Illinois
Originally posted by: ziggy

Sorry I go to read above,

Good but you CAN'T call a COMPLETE IN BOX (CIB) for just the manual, game and box, THAT IS NOT A COMPLETE GAME! a complete game is a game that have EVERYTHING inside, even the plastic bag, nintendo inserts, COMPLETE! otherwise is just that game, manual an box.

Also you need determinate and inspect if the manual game and box MATCH, due there's variations on manuals, carts and boxes, if not you start to get a MIXED bag of items and that is awful.

Thanks.

Matching components is very important to us, and the answer to that point is found just a couple posts above as well:

"You bring up another great point which is the mixing of different variants. The answer is: of course we note if they are the wrong insert! We are hardcore collectors and want to be sure that the right information is presented with any of your games. In fact, our Chief Advisor Mark Haspel has an article that is published on our website that specifically addresses this issue. The article is titled: “What is an IMP?” and goes into detail about how we note when a manual, cartridge, or insert is an Incorrect Married Part (IMP) that does not match the box it was originally packaged with. The article can be found at the bottom of this page:

https://www.watagames.com/learn/newsletter

Apr 12 at 12:26:11 AM
snk2d4ever (62)
(chris mrozek) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
Even if an insignificant page is missing from a comic book, doesn't the grading company factor that in to an overall score?

In my opinion that could be comparable to a registration card In a video game, but I understand if that is viewed as an 'apples to oranges' scenario.

In general I think the service is a really great idea and seems like a better alternative to the existing solutions. I will definitely be sending games in!

Apr 14 at 7:50:16 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: snk2d4ever

Even if an insignificant page is missing from a comic book, doesn't the grading company factor that in to an overall score?

In my opinion that could be comparable to a registration card In a video game, but I understand if that is viewed as an 'apples to oranges' scenario.

In general I think the service is a really great idea and seems like a better alternative to the existing solutions. I will definitely be sending games in!
FWIW I think that's more directly analagous to a page missing from a manual.    Manuals were generally put together just like little comic books.    Printed on both sides, folded in half, stapled along the spine.

And if a manual is missing a page, it should receive the harshest of grades, as do comics, such as this book from my collection (that was distributed in Canada only) which received a 0.5 for a non-story page missing.

However, the trouble with using that logic for the games wata grades is that any loose cart and almost any CIB would automatically be 0.5s as a result (since all loose carts are missing the manual and box, and since most every CIB is missing a small part like a reg card).    I don't think a system that would result in a beat to hell loose cart getting the same grade as a mint cib missing warranty card is something that most loose or CIB collectors would find appealing.   Sealed guys might be OK with it.

Hmm, on second thought maybe this isn't a bad idea!     

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 04/14/2018 at 08:05 PM by Bronty

Apr 15 at 9:41:05 AM
Rareusgold (1)

< Cherub >
United States
I disagree agree that you need every single piece to be CIB. I think complete in the box means Game Manual and Box. Anything extra is a bonus! As long as you list the extra items that are there I agree with WATA. If you want to be a technical and a completist. That’s fine. Just look at the label and make sure it has what you want.  

Also if the instructions, inserts ect DO NOT match the right version. Then it is an IMP (Incomplete Married Parts). And that will be addressed on label as well. They have really thought of most things. Being long time collectors comes in handy!

Edited: 04/15/2018 at 09:42 AM by Rareusgold

Apr 15 at 8:45:12 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Ay Jay Will-Yams) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Another issue that primarily affects 8th generation and late 7th, is that many publishers include a digital manual included on the game disc or card, and no longer include paper manuals (though oftentimes they still by law have to include safety pamphlets). So for instance someone submits a Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild CIB (complete in box, or case in this instance) with no manual, because it never came with one. Does this generate an exception for missing items if an official manual never existed in the first place?

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 04/15/2018 at 08:45 PM by Kosmic StarDust