Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Newly discovered Famicom Monster Party Prototype surfaces

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:22:54 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Doommaster1994

I still need to get my prototypes dumped lol. I have 2 SNES and 2 NES ones.

LOLZ

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:24:17 AM
dra600n (280)
(Adym \m/) < Purple Ganon >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

We are definitely going to do a 72 pin version for certain, and they'll once again use all new parts. The goal is to release a Famicom version as well, and we are diligently working on sourcing materials to make that a reality.

Damn you Matt! Now I'm gonna have to buy both versions

-------------------------

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:33:46 AM
BeaglePuss (40)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: dra600n

We are definitely going to do a 72 pin version for certain, and they'll once again use all new parts. The goal is to release a Famicom version as well, and we are diligently working on sourcing materials to make that a reality.

I'm still working on sourcing Famicom stuff.  While I'm very hopeful, I'm not 100% certain it will happen. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:50:27 AM
dra600n (280)
Connecticut

I'm still working on sourcing Famicom stuff.  While I'm very hopeful, I'm not 100% certain it will happen. 

Ha! Hopefully you can source the parts, I would love to add to my very small famicom collection for sure

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:36:38 AM
adler_0 (60)
(Jesse Hric) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Of course this is just a suggestion, but have you put any thought into getting it translated for the 72 pin/nes version? I think the original Japanese script would awesome and much different from what we got in monster party. Translated or not I can not wait for this game! Super excited to see you win. Thanks again for everything you do here! I think this is going to be my first "limited edition" that I splurge for, if available.

------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for any "display only" N64 boxes.  PM me, $$$.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:45:40 AM
dra600n (280)
Connecticut
Translating could be fairly simple if there's not a lot of text, or could be very difficult if a lot of text and/or compression.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:04:49 AM
adler_0 (60)
(Jesse Hric) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania

Translating could be fairly simple if there's not a lot of text, or could be very difficult if a lot of text and/or compression.

I think its just the opening and closing scenes that have text.  Also the bosses and the the empty rooms you enter.  It's far from a text heavy game.  Anyways, it's probably waaaay to soon to think about these things.  I'm sure we'll be kept updated on any work/ideas that are going on with this.  At least I hope so...

------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for any "display only" N64 boxes.  PM me, $$$.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:13:00 AM
Doommaster1994 (1)
(Nick K.) < Little Mac >
Washington
I just want to see the credits for Parody World lol
@BeaglePuss - Do you have the ROM file for Parody World? If you do I was just wondering if you could send me screenshots of the game credits. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:26:55 AM
BeaglePuss (40)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

@BeaglePuss - Do you have the ROM file for Parody World? If you do I was just wondering if you could send me screenshots of the game credits. Thanks.

The credits are exclusively in Japanese.  That includes the names and titles of the team.  Are you capable of reading Japanese, and is there something on particular you're looking for?

I haven't dumped the game just yet.  I'll be doing that this weekend.  I plan on keeping screen shots a secret up until the release though.  It will be so much more exciting for people to play through the game without parts being ruined for them.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:01:00 AM
Doommaster1994 (1)
(Nick K.) < Little Mac >
Washington
Hey, BeaglePuss. Yes, I can read Japanese hiragana and katakana and some kanji. Really, I just need a screenshot (.png) of the music credits from an emulator for a video game music site. I already know what the music credits are, but I just want to see it. Apparently the Japanese version says "ふふれでぃ・みくも" (Freddy Mikumo) and "みすかまかす・­はしもと" (Misukamakasu Hashimoto). In the USA version they're listed as 'Mikumonky' and 'Hashimotoravolta'. I only know the second guy is Masaki Hashimoto, but I've been trying to find the first name of Mikumo. I only know it begins with a T, but I don't think his real name has ever been listed. Takahiro Wakuta doesn't know either.
But it would be cool to see the names of the Japanese staff.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:05:20 AM
GBAura (0)
< Cherub >
I don't know a lot of Japanese and the differences as far as the dialogue goes, but I could fill in from what we know so far.

The intro in the original is pretty similar in the NES release, but the Japanese version is a lot more detailed and descriptive. Mark was known as "Hiroshi", and Bert might be "Baryuu". Not sure on that last part, though.

The bosses that are changed in the American version are different without a doubt. I followed the Beta Restoration project before the site closed down, and some of the people there translated the dialogue from the video Famicomcafe uploaded. The plant boss is singing a meaningless happy tune, the corpse boss said the same thing in the original, but it came out like "I'm sorry, I'm already dead", while the ape is saying "Catch him! I'll make him a slave!". The Medusa boss that the seller showed in his Photobucket account kinda confused me because the translator I used came out a bit weird, but I think she said "I'm giving you all my beauty, sweetie!"

Beagle, I know you are serious about your plans on the game, but are you looking for an artist to do the labels on the reproduction carts? Perhaps I could do it if you wish, unless you already got someone else to do that job.

Edit: Oops, I missed out on a few things. In the Japanese version, when you run into an empty room, it basically says "Miss", at least from what it translated out to.

Edited: 03/14/2014 at 06:02 PM by GBAura

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:41:01 AM
dra600n (280)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: adler_0

I think its just the opening and closing scenes that have text.  Also the bosses and the the empty rooms you enter.  It's far from a text heavy game.  Anyways, it's probably waaaay to soon to think about these things.  I'm sure we'll be kept updated on any work/ideas that are going on with this.  At least I hope so...

That sounds relatively easy, though I've never done any translating anything and put it into a game before, so I really can't say how easy or difficult it is.

The credits are exclusively in Japanese.  That includes the names and titles of the team.  Are you capable of reading Japanese, and is there something on particular you're looking for?

I haven't dumped the game just yet.  I'll be doing that this weekend.  I plan on keeping screen shots a secret up until the release though.  It will be so much more exciting for people to play through the game without parts being ruined for them.

Speaking of this, have you put any thoughts into translating Monster Party? I know it's still too early to give a definitive answer on if this is something you and Mark are going to do, but I'm curious now that alder_0 brought it up. If you want, I can start grabbing information on how to do it and see if it's something I'm capable of doing or at least explaining it to you guys where it's easy to understand / if I understand it completely

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:51:47 AM
BeaglePuss (40)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Responses (in order)

@Doommaster 1994: I was not expecting that response. Let me get the game dumped and see if I can get a video of the end credits out your way. The end is identical (from an animation standpoint) to the released version, so it wouldn't be giving away any surprises.

@GBAura: I saw the translation project, but I wondered how far they'd be able to get with the limited information available. Judging by the characters/bosses I've encountered in the game, the dialog would give away their identities. I haven't seen or read anything regarding these bosses, so I'm assuming there's not enough info out there for an accurate translation (yet at least). As for labels, I usually work with fsped, but I'd love to chat with you a bit if it's something you'd really be interested in. Shoot me a PM with what you have in mind.

@Dragoon: I have thought about the possibility of translating the game for the NES while leaving the Famicom release as-is. We should chat about it and see what we can do. Also, in the most important news, I AM going to Austin the weekend you're in town! Boooooo!!! Is there anyway we can rework our schedules so we can still meet up? I'm going to bummed out if I miss the meet up.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:08:36 AM
dra600n (280)
Connecticut
I'll shoot you a text and see what we can work out

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:54:54 AM
GBAura (0)
< Cherub >
@BeaglePuss: The project I was talking about isn't really a translation, but more of a restoration of beta elements that got cut, as well as turning the game into what it was supposed to be; they didn't get very far for reasons you mentioned and the site host shut the place down (one month before the second copy showed up!), but they did their part and found a lot of unused content.

I'll PM you sometime later, I'm a bit busy at the moment.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:23:54 PM
BeaglePuss (40)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: GBAura

@BeaglePuss: The project I was talking about isn't really a translation, but more of a restoration of beta elements that got cut, as well as turning the game into what it was supposed to be; they didn't get very far for reasons you mentioned and the site host shut the place down (one month before the second copy showed up!), but they did their part and found a lot of unused content.

I'll PM you sometime later, I'm a bit busy at the moment.

I know the project you're talking about, but the problem is that the majority of stuff they uncovered are not found in the Japanese release either.  The wolf in the race car, the arcade poswer ups, etc, found here: http://tcrf.net/Monster_Party...
never make their way into the game.  What did make their way in are some hugely famous pop/horror icons that are easiliy identified.  I believe they've been removed entirely from the US rom.  If they hadn't been, people would have found them by now.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:31:27 PM
dra600n (280)
Connecticut
A lot of interesting history amongst this game. Maybe GBAura and you and Mark could get together and make a quick / short little history insert of the game to include with the CIB's?

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:31:53 PM
MrMark0673 (444)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Yeah, the restoration attempt didn't have anywhere near enough info do produce anything remotely similar to the prototype. The information just isn't available.

The reasons listed for the changes (bring too gory) are incorrect as well. Aside from the title screen, the changes are ones that would cause infringement issues on many major movie licenses and not changed because of gore.

Again, every level has massive changes. Enemy sprites, bosses, level layouts, etc. have been changed and you wouldn't know those changes without the rom.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 14, 2014 at 3:55:59 PM
Shane (143)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States

A lot of interesting history amongst this game. Maybe GBAura and you and Mark could get together and make a quick / short little history insert of the game to include with the CIB's?

Or just put a 5X7 of you in there. I'd buy either way. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:31:15 PM
dra600n (280)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Shane

Or just put a 5X7 of you in there. I'd buy either way. 

Edited: 03/14/2014 at 04:31 PM by dra600n

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:32:15 PM
dra600n (280)
Connecticut
damn, the image won't resize

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:23:34 PM
Shane (143)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States

damn, the image won't resize

Haha that made it bitchin.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:08:37 PM
CD2193 (4)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
I've always wondered if the trio of flying fried-foods were a reference to anything. Some of the other known original bosses are more obvious (Little Shop of Horrors, Planet of the Apes, The Thing, etc) but the fried foods always baffled me.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:11:50 PM
GBAura (0)
< Cherub >
Good question. A lot of people thought it was originally supposed to be a reference to The Fly because of the teleporters in the background that was lifted from the 80's remake, but I can't confirm if the boss was changed or not. It might've not been altered in the American release because the Japanese title screen still showed the food trio running around. It's worth noting that the game not only had nods to American horror films, but Japanese culture as well. Basically, that boss is a reference to kushikatsu, a type of fried food in Japan. But in context with the boss and the teleporter, you are fighting The Fry!

Still, it's odd that although the game was censored due to copyrighted content, some references slipped here and there, like one of enemies you can find is a reference to the Elephant Man. No, I'm not making this up.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:47:00 PM
blueskyrunner (0)

< Cherub >
Speaking of references, I'd once heard somewhere that the cat boss was originally a Gremilin from the movie Gremlins. I don't remember where I heard that, but is there any truth to that? I know you'll probably just tell me to wait until the release and find out myself, but... I figured it was worth a shot since it's only one boss.