Forum » Everything Else » Sad Reddit Experience

Sad Reddit Experience

Friend posted some of my collection

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:34:32 PM 
Bulldoggamer (160)

(James D)
< El Ripper >
United States
So, yesterday a friend/client of mine posted some photos of my game room online:
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comm...

I don't even know what to say about the experience.

I lurk on reddit.  I read the front page or r/all pretty regularly--but that suffices for me.  I haven't had an overwhelmingly positive experience yet with posting there, and this has really only reinforced my beliefs that many redditors--at least the ones who post, mostly circle jerk each other and project on one another as elitists.

From pictures of my room people have decided that:
  • I'm fat
  • I'm gay
  • I'm a virgin
  • I'm retarded
  • I live at home with my parents
  • I have no friends
  • I don't give enough to charity
  • I don't work
  • My job doesn't constitute to many as a job
  • I don't have any good games
  • I don't play video games/ only play video games
It doesn't matter how many times I reply to posts that I am:
  • Heterosexual
  • Happily married
  • Finishing my PhD (I have 3 B.s. & a Masters degree) *aka, not retarded
  • Have traveled to Haiti, India & Africa for medical mission trips *aka, probably doing more for charity than them.
  • Work 50+ hours a week *aka, not unemployed
  • Pay my own mortgage *aka, not living at my parents in their attic/basement
On one hand, I feel like I shouldn't feed the trolls:  I should ignore the complete idiots, or answer them with short, succinct clarifications.

I'm flabbergasted that so many people can draw so many broad generalizations about who I am as a person, just by seeing a small fraction of my life in a video game collection (funny, this doesn't have ANY of my peripherals, other consoles, CIB stuff, almost all of my 64 & SNES cart only games.).  

I mentioned NA a few times.  I mentioned Wilder's SavePointVG, Trade-N-Games' site, & Steve's Game Galaxy.  I clarified ~30 posts about the inferences into the crystal ball that reddit believes is my life, and threw the towel in now.  I don't know if there is any winning.  It's strange to me that someone posts their friend's video game collection--and people start bashing every facet of my being, or harping on insignificant details:
  • my tv is too small (it's actually 65 inches)
  • I don't have surround sound (I do)
  • I'm missing key games (pikmin 2)
  • I have only crappy sports games (I'm three titles from an NTSC Genesis complete, and I think most people are just seeing the crazy amount of Genesis sports titles)
  • I'm rich (far from it)
  • I'm a pedophile/murderer/psycho/asshole (one of my favorites:  "THIS ASSHOLE IS GOING THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SHOULD DO-QUANTITY OVER QUALITY--AKA DOING IT WRONG".  Really?......really?

What kind of input do you guys have as fellow collectors?  Clearly, it's a blip in my radar--but I thought I'd get some people more aligned with my mindset posting here about this--to a community I'm a part of, rather than spinning my wheels endlessly with some of these guys.

Anyway, enjoy some of the updated pictures!  If I would have known Billy was going to take pictures to post on reddit, I would have displayed things a bit better, opened up all of the cabinets, and posted to a sub-reddit that's less insane (maybe gamecollecting, or something of the like), rather than r/pics.

Just wanted to get some input from you all--I'm sure many of you have had similar experiences and thought that your insight could be valuable.

-------------------------
If someone has the whereabouts of the Outback Joey gear...or is selling a big lot of Saturn/CD games, find me! 
http://www.8bitevolution.com - Custom Painted Consoles / Backlit GBA/GBC / SNES/Genesis Repros

Edited: 02/10/2013 at 08:38 PM by Bulldoggamer

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:40:18 PM 
Thunderblaze16 (50)

(Piero )
< King Solomon >
Florida
What did you expect, its Reddit.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:41:46 PM 

Ipsylos (24)

(Nintendrone )
< King Solomon >
Ontario
When you collect games and it ends up on the internet, obviously you are all those terms and traits, that's just how people perceive it. I've had people say the same things about me and what not. Maybe you should take up football and partying, I hear everyone who does that is an Alpha male and gets laid all the time, plus has a life

But really, just laugh at those who spend time commenting/criticizing on something they wish they had.
FS/FT Thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
WTB/WTT Thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
My Current Quest: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Looking for Dragon Warrior Yellow Tip Sheet, as Well as Gradius box/manual, any of the NTSC portable or PS1 Gradius Games CIB, and Adventure Island 4 CIB. If you have any of these, PM me :)

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:42:52 PM 
milligangames (332)

(Patrick Milligan)
< King Solomon >
New York
Pretty sure redditors are mostly teenagers/college kids. Armchair internet commentators don't know shit for the most part. You have an incredible collection and every single one of them is jealous.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:43:19 PM 
jkenned5 (106)

(Jordan Kennedy)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
reddit is full of stupid kids, forget what they say, who cares? they wont say it to ur face cause they dont have the balls too.
N64 NTSC 2nd CIB set 281/296 C, 283/296 I, 296/296 B
N64 NFR Set 22/24 + 2/2

NEED THIS BOX PM ME:
Banjo Kazooie Player's Choice Box

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:43:59 PM 
Dibin (77)

(Dylan N)
< El Ripper >
Alberta
I cannot say I've ever experienced what you have through this. But I will say damn, you have one bad ass setup. And fuck all those people. I'd ignore them and focus on the more positive ones. There are a few of them when I scrolled through that page briefly (I'm on my cell right now). But yeah, I'd consider that impressive

Here are some random chat quotes, you're missing out not being there!

remedy: we counted the rings on his penis..  thats how you tell a canadians age.

krunch: I'm a pig for reality tv dudes

megamanfan: mmf needs love

rhetoric: the internet is the only place adam touches clits

spacejockey: fat chicks are single, and they are gonna stay that way

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:44:04 PM 
Bulldoggamer (160)

(James D)
< El Ripper >
United States
It's funny--I expect this from reddit, I just didn't expect it to be so rampant, voluminous, and frequent even after clarification(s).

Kind of makes me like the whole experience less. Really interesting social psyche dynamics taking place on there--as many academics and exceptional contributors there are, there are at least double that in trolls and dolts it seems.
If someone has the whereabouts of the Outback Joey gear...or is selling a big lot of Saturn/CD games, find me! 
http://www.8bitevolution.com - Custom Painted Consoles / Backlit GBA/GBC / SNES/Genesis Repros

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:44:09 PM 
ihavethatpma (309)

(Butt Meat The Toilet Scrubbing Hermaphrodite)
< King Solomon >
Washington
There were a lot of positive comments as well, some people will understand and some won't, that's just how it is. I wouldn't give a fuck if I was you, don't lose any sleep over what people say on Reddit.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:45:00 PM 
Phins (68)

(-P Z T-)
< Kraid Killer >
Utah
Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

Yeah, shittiest website on the internet. What a hellhole. I don't really think you should be letting your feelings get hurt by a website that has entire forums dedicated to jailbait, pictures of dead children, and beating women. Reddit *is* the scum of the Earth, and I really, really pity anybody who spends any significant amount of time on there. Get out while you still can.
We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:45:33 PM 

Ipsylos (24)

(Nintendrone )
< King Solomon >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Phins

Yeah, shittiest website on the internet. What a hellhole. I don't really think you should be letting your feelings get hurt by a website that has entire forums dedicated to jailbait, pictures of dead children, and beating women. Reddit *is* the scum of the Earth, and I really, really pity anybody who spends any significant amount of time on there. Get out while you still can.
Worse than 4chan?

Looking for Dragon Warrior Yellow Tip Sheet, as Well as Gradius box/manual, any of the NTSC portable or PS1 Gradius Games CIB, and Adventure Island 4 CIB. If you have any of these, PM me :)

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:45:50 PM 
3GenGames (0)
(3 Gen Games)
< Bowser >
Ohio
You must be new to the internet.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:45:55 PM 
TheMegaman (34)

(R R)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Best comment IMO:

"And Gamestop will buy all of that for maaaybe $10? seems legit"

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:47:42 PM 
MAIL_BAG (65)

(Rip )
< Lolo Lord >
Virginia
cool cat!

NES Collection: Complete (except Stadium Events and The Panesians).
Nintendo World Championship acquired! The journey continues!
Listen to N.A.R.C. Podcast on Podomatic and iTunes!

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:47:51 PM 
Phins (68)

(-P Z T-)
< Kraid Killer >
Utah
Originally posted by: Ipsylos

Originally posted by: Phins

Worse than 4chan?

Have you ever even been to 4chan? It's far more benign than one might lead you to believe. /b/ is the only genuinely mischievous board, more shy loners than troublemakers on the rest.
We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:47:55 PM 
Bulldoggamer (160)

(James D)
< El Ripper >
United States
Some of my favorite highlights are things like

"THESE GUYS DON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE GAMERS, TRUST ME BRO"

Berating the job that I have, saying that I'm unqualified and uneducated

Insisting that I'm both obsessive and lazy--both insane and under-committed to gaming, and lacking balance in my life.

Even after my years surfing the interwebz and frequenting plenty of strange forums, I've never seen a cluster%$#@ like some reddit posts. I feel foolish for even responding to them, really.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:48:24 PM 

Ipsylos (24)

(Nintendrone )
< King Solomon >
Ontario
Yes, been a long time but I spent a little bit on 4Chan

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:49:53 PM 
PeteDiak (183)

(Pete Diak)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Great collection / gameroom.. Dont worry what those idiots have to say..

Check out my site! VGCC.CA

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:50:44 PM 
Phins (68)

(-P Z T-)
< Kraid Killer >
Utah
Originally posted by: Ipsylos

Yes, been a long time but I spent a little bit on 4Chan

Then you get what I mean. Reddit became far more vile a website than 4chan a long time ago. Honestly, if this collection was posted there instead of Reddit, you'd get some hate sure, but there'd also be plenty of praise. People there love a good collection.
And need I remind people that the most inappropriate board 4chan has is alternative hentai, when Reddit has boards dedicated to full-blown pedophilia and hate crimes?
This, is Outer Heaven.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:51:41 PM 
doner24 (264)

(Jesse D)
< King Solomon >
Minnesota
Favorite reply:

"This cave will protect his virginity till he dies."

Awesome set up man.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Pocky and Rocky 2 manual, Final Fight Guy manual
Wacky Races Poster, 3 Ninjas Poster

Edited: 02/10/2013 at 08:52 PM by doner24

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:52:19 PM 
Bulldoggamer (160)

(James D)
< El Ripper >
United States
This is why I would only post pictures here--they're not even on my (sparsely populated) facebook. I'm enacting a no photography rule in my room starting now.

At least my cat was well received :-P

Thanks for reinforcing my original feelings about the matter. I suppose I just wanted to vent to some of my peers about the experience, more than anything else. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but I will admit being frustrated. I mean--who wouldn't want to have a sweet video game collection? I can't think of a single friend or acquaintance who's ever seen it and been angry, shocked or vindictive.

Ah well, thanks NA peeps!

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:52:40 PM 

Tricky (0)
(John Smith)
< Tourian Tourist >
United States
Reddit's just one big pretentious circlejerk, very few opinions worth their salt there.

I don't understand how people jump to the impression that for someone to have a collection that impressive, they must be some no-life loser; how could someone afford to accumulate all that if they were living anything other than a successful life?

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:52:46 PM 
the_hudge27 (50)

(Shawn McMahon)
< Lolo Lord >
Ontario
It's shitty but it's expected. Go just about anywhere on the Internet and say you have even a decent sized game collection and you'll be bombarded with "lol u loser! here are some more original insults about living in your mom's basement and not having sex, etc!" I honestly can't believe those stereotypes are still so rampant now but what can you do.

The Internet is where logic goes to die so reasoning with anyone is out of the question. The best route is definitely not to let it bother you.

And since you're now here amongst your brethern, I have to say that is a damn fine collection!
Check out my website at - totalactionadventure.com. Movie and game reviews, general ramblings, and a whole lot more! Well sort of more anyway!

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:53:32 PM 
Phins (68)

(-P Z T-)
< Kraid Killer >
Utah
And by the way, you do have a genuinely good collection I'm envious of. When somebody builds a loving tribute to their childhood, it's a bad thing, but when you go out collecting STDs like Pokemon at bars every night like a good alphamale it's a good thing? Shaking my head.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Edited: 02/10/2013 at 08:53 PM by Phins

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:56:25 PM 
K3VBOT (187)

(I Need Jurassic Park )
< King Solomon >
Indiana
Wow. Those are some shitty comments. That's what people who have no lives do. They look at reddit all day and hate on people who are greater than them. They don't fucking know you. If I had a Reddit account, I'd tear the shit out of those bitches on your behalf.
Originally posted by: Mugen

I know what a gloryhole is, I just don't understand the sexual connection with my new snes games...

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 08:57:30 PM 
KidChris (1)
(Kid Chris)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
People say that human nature is mostly good, I have a hard time buying that some days. Supposed anonymity often brings out the worst in people and is quite possibly the truest barometer for human nature. Anything to pull someone else down.

The comments sections of most news sites like Yahoo! News or Huffington Post will show you that the trolls have taken over the asylum.

Posts 1 - 25 of 132  

©2014 Bucket Head Media, LLC.. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use