Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Possibly located both a grey and gold NWC cartridge!

LOCKED TOPIC

May 12, 2015 at 7:20:27 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Hey guys!

I've happened upon a dude that believes he has a copy of both the grey and gold Nintendo World Champ carts. I was incredulous at hearing this, so I sent him a pic of each to check whether they were the legit or repro ones, but sounds like they're legit! He mentioned the switches on front and everything. And they must be in good condition as the label was legible.

Of course we're now both extremelys keen to confirm that they are the real deal, as he doesn't know much about them. As I've not yet seen them either, I'm wanting to find out more about how to spot that it's real prior to heading round tomorrow. Are there any guides kicking about for how to verify they're the actual carts? I'd assume they'd need to be opened up for checks to be 100%, but understandably I'm very cautious to do this as I wouldn't want to make any marks or cause potential damage. Also I figure it's a special screwdriver needed to open the cart, so that'd need to be ordered too...

If anyone can advise further it'd be really appreciated. And if they do appear to be legit, I figure NA is really the best place to set up a sale in the near future for any folks interested. Makes sense for the forum collectors to get a better shot at it than the ebay crowd. It's early days of course, but I'll do my best to keep this updated as and when I find out more info. Bear with me though, work is pretty hectic lately so I can only update in evenings (UK).

Cheers!

-------------------------
Pretence is the best tense.

May 12, 2015 at 7:32:27 PM
Portabello (150)
< Meka Chicken >
Kentucky
offer him $100 a piece and see if he goes for it

May 12, 2015 at 7:34:41 PM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
The boards are large. They fill nearly the whole cart. There are windows on the rom chips. dont be alarmed when you see them. The board itself should have Nintendo markings printed on it. There are lots of little switch-chips with capacitors next to them. The grey carts are individually numbered so make sure it doesnt have the same number as a known copy. Check to see that the dipswitches connect and function. The gold one doesnt have a full sticker. just a weird logo sticker. Look for signs of natural wear on the stickers. if they look 'too good' get a second opinion. Look for any signs that the carts shells are repurposed from other games. The carts are both 3-screw so you need a 3/8ths-inch security-bit iirc. they can be ordered online for cheap.

Edited: 05/12/2015 at 07:38 PM by Faxanadude

May 12, 2015 at 7:38:53 PM
Fahrenheit (36)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
How many gold NWC carts have been accounted for? I could have sworn that DreamTR had tracked all of them down.

May 12, 2015 at 7:39:49 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Originally posted by: Portabello

offer him $100 a piece and see if he goes for it
Haha, I could never do that to someone man! The guilt would totally get to me - I'd want to know if something was worth a huge value, so thought it only fair to say. Damn my aching honesty!

Originally posted by: Faxanadude

The boards are large. They fill nearly the whole cart. There are windows on the rom chips. dont be alarmed when you see them. The board itself should have Nintendo markings printed on it. There are lots of little switch-chips with capacitors next to them. The grey carts are individually numbered so make sure it doesnt have the same number as a known copy. Check to see that the dipswitches connect and function. The gold one doesnt have a full sticker. just a weird logo sticker. Look for signs of natural wear on the stickers. if they look 'too good' get a second opinion. Look for any signa that the carts shells arent repurposed from other games. The carts are both 3-screw so you need a 3/8ths-inch security-bit iirc. they can be ordered online for cheap.
Awesome man, really top info there, thanks for the heads up! I'll check in with him as soon as I can (within 24 hours, by the sounds of things) and report back here once I have pics etc. I'm keen to get it tested too, though at the same time I don't know whether my contacts in my NES would dirty the game / if I should clean it with alcohol etc. Really just want to make sure whatever gets done, it gets done properly!

May 12, 2015 at 7:41:06 PM
CD2193 (5)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Seems a bit odd that someone would happen to have both varieties at the same time (just one and it could make sense) and not know what they are. But who knows!

May 12, 2015 at 7:44:23 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
The odds of someone having both of those and not knowing what they are worth is 0. This is a troll or a scam.

May 12, 2015 at 7:44:31 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Sounds fishy to me. Why would some guy have both copies of two of the rarest and most expensive nes titles and not know what they are? Certainly possible but definitely highly unlikely. Either way I hope its real and you snag them.

gamevaluenow

Edited: 05/12/2015 at 07:46 PM by xMaGuSx

May 12, 2015 at 7:45:21 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: CD2193

Seems a bit odd that someone would happen to have both varieties at the same time (just one and it could make sense) and not know what they are. But who knows!

yeah, I was thinking the same thing.   I hope it works out for the OP but OP, in case you don't know, the golds were given away to one set of people and the greys given away to a different set of people.    Chance of an original owner having both is pretty much nil.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

May 12, 2015 at 7:49:08 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Originally posted by: CD2193

Originally posted by: pegboy

The odds of someone having both of those and not knowing what they are worth is 0. This is a troll or a scam.

Originally posted by: magus90

Sounds fishy to me. Why would some guy have both copies and not know what they are? Certainly possible but definitely highly unlikely. Either way I hope its real and you snag them.

I fully appreciate the concern and bizarreness of the situation, and I'm conscious of this not being totally legit as of right now since I'm yet to see the carts in their physical form. However, the dude was selling a large amount of games kept in his attic from a previous occupant - could well have been a set from an old collector who died and left the games there, but honestly I'm still uncertain of the whole situation.

I'll have a much better idea after seeing tomorrow. Really hoping it turns out to be legit, because even just to see and hold this will be immense. I don't even mind not owning it, but just to see the things.. insane. I'd have never thought of this to happen. In Scotland of all places! And near where I live. Seriously insane.

Again, I know it seems far fetched, but the feeling I have about it is that it's the real deal. Hoping the gut is right on it!

May 12, 2015 at 7:49:35 PM
Blue Gollumer (89)
(Warren Lee) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
And they're both in Scotland?

May 12, 2015 at 7:53:06 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Also just to be clear - these aren't for me to buy! I heard the guy mention he was keeping a few Championship games aside for his friend, and I said "hold on, Nintendo World Championship carts?" and it went from there. Basically if I hadn't said, I'm thinking this dude would have given them to his friend for zero. As lame as it is that I may have ruined that one guy's shot, I also think it's morally a better thing that this guy knows their value. Stupid honesty and ethics!

May 12, 2015 at 7:53:38 PM
SUBSCRIBER
babywuchki (89)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Collector has both in a storage unit that only he knows about. Collector dies. Guy buys storage locker at auction. Finds rare games and doesn't know what they exactly are. Anything is possible. I mean, there's a 99% chance this is just a scam, but anything is possible.

May 12, 2015 at 7:56:14 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Originally posted by: Blue Gollumer

And they're both in Scotland?
Yep, which makes it even more bizarre. I'm at a loss as to this situation existing, never thought I'd ever be anywhere near the carts, so I'm hoping it turns out to be sound. My best guess is that it was an old guy who happened to be a NES collector and spent a ton of money picking up these games. I've no idea what else the guy has, haven't yet had a sight of the set.

Is there a current list of numbers that haven't been located etc? The guy's at work so hasn't had a chance to check the number on the grey one, but if we had a snap of it and it was of a number unaccounted for, it'd certainly increase the legitimacy of the claim!

May 12, 2015 at 7:56:52 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Foochie776 (234)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Best of luck with this OP. Doesn't sound promising but bizarre things happen that's for sure, keep us curious minds in the loop.

May the force be with you.

May 12, 2015 at 7:57:44 PM
SUBSCRIBER
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Rothiseph

I fully appreciate the concern and bizarreness of the situation, and I'm conscious of this not being totally legit as of right now since I'm yet to see the carts in their physical form. However, the dude was selling a large amount of games kept in his attic from a previous occupant - could well have been a set from an old collector who died and left the games there, but honestly I'm still uncertain of the whole situation.

I'll have a much better idea after seeing tomorrow. Really hoping it turns out to be legit, because even just to see and hold this will be immense. I don't even mind not owning it, but just to see the things.. insane. I'd have never thought of this to happen. In Scotland of all places! And near where I live. Seriously insane.

Again, I know it seems far fetched, but the feeling I have about it is that it's the real deal. Hoping the gut is right on it!

Just don't want to see you get disappointed as there is like a 1% chance or less that it's legit. Scams like these are everywhere and so are trolls. If i had a penny for every thread on here linking to a craigslist ad for a rare game for a fraction of the price, i would be rich. 

And the NWC gold cartridge sells for up to 100k at this point. I just can't see someone tucking this away in their attic. This is an item that is will material 

What price is he asking for? 

gamevaluenow

May 12, 2015 at 7:59:24 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Originally posted by: babywuchki

Collector has both in a storage unit that only he knows about. Collector dies. Guy buys storage locker at auction. Finds rare games and doesn't know what they exactly are. Anything is possible. I mean, there's a 99% chance this is just a scam, but anything is possible.
Not a storage unit man, this is an attic of a house that the guy got. Not sure how long he's been there, but given it was attic storage space, I'd assume that could have been inactive for any period of time.

As with many things, time will tell. Really excited to find out more about it though, really does sound unreal. I don't think it's a fake because the guy doesn't know about old games and can'tt understand them to be worth much.

But again, there is also the ever present chance it's a fake lead. I'm being optimistic, just all the pieces seem to be in the right place for this. It's too good to be true, but miracles happen.

May 12, 2015 at 8:02:15 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Originally posted by: magus90

Just don't want to see you get disappointed as there is like a 1% chance or less that it's legit. Scams like these are everywhere and so are trolls. If i had a penny for every thread on here linking to a craigslist ad for a rare game for a fraction of the price, i would be rich. 

And the NWC gold cartridge sells for up to 100k at this point. I just can't see someone tucking this away in their attic. This is an item that is will material 

What price is he asking for? 

Totally fair to have that concern man, and I'm normally very sceptical about these things. I'm hopeful but also very aware that it may not be the actual thing. Will post back about it as soon as I know more, but as I say this may not be for ~24 hours since I'll be heading tomorrow night.

I just placed an order for the security bit, so hoping that arrives with me in a couple days' time. This is the strangest possibly-non-treasure hunt I've ever been on.. haha!

May 12, 2015 at 8:09:47 PM
SUBSCRIBER
SwiftFrost (199)
< King Solomon >
United States
Why can't he send you a picture of both cart together, along with a piece of paper with his name and the date?

May 12, 2015 at 8:14:33 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Deathmore

How many gold NWC carts have been accounted for? I could have sworn that DreamTR had tracked all of them down.

Dream said he couldn't find all 26, but did buy at least seven. He never revealed which winners he located or exactly how many. I think 15 or so have turned up.

May 12, 2015 at 8:15:44 PM
Faxanadude (21)
North Carolina

Totally fair to have that concern man, and I'm normally very sceptical about these things. I'm hopeful but also very aware that it may not be the actual thing. Will post back about it as soon as I know more, but as I say this may not be for ~24 hours since I'll be heading tomorrow night.

I just placed an order for the security bit, so hoping that arrives with me in a couple days' time. This is the strangest possibly-non-treasure hunt I've ever been on.. haha!

I misspoke above. You need a 3.8mm bit. Not 3/8ths of an inch. It turns out D.K. Jr. is a shitty math teacher.

May 12, 2015 at 8:16:23 PM
Faxanadude (21)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: Deathmore

Dream said he couldn't find all 26, but did buy at least seven. He never revealed which winners he located or exactly how many. I think 15 or so have turned up.
Still a bunch unaccounted for. So keep the dream alive, yall.

Edited: 05/12/2015 at 08:16 PM by Faxanadude

May 12, 2015 at 8:19:09 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Originally posted by: LukeAF24

Why can't he send you a picture of both cart together, along with a piece of paper with his name and the date?
He's working late tonight until ~4am UK time, by which time I'll be asleep. And sadly work is nuts just now so I can't stay active on the forums during the day tomorrow, so I'm afraid it'll need to be a later update.

I only found out he potentially had the NWC carts tonight, else I'd have asked for more information previously.

May 12, 2015 at 8:22:58 PM
Rothiseph (1)
< Little Mac >
Scotland
Ok, I gotta call it a night as I need to be up in less than 6 hours. Feel free to add useful info, links to the current located carts, numbers that have surfaced etc - it'll be helpful to have to hand when I go see the dude tomorrow.

Earliest I can check forum posts will be lunchtime, but earliest I can give info on the carts and whether or not they seem legit on the surface (yet to get the security bit to hand) will be probably 10pm UK time.

Sorry to have such a gap between updates, I'm as keen to find out as everyone else. Feeling positive though, the scenario seems crazy but possible! Whether good or bad, I'll post as soon as I'm able.

Keep the optimism, speak to you all in a bit.

May 12, 2015 at 8:27:21 PM
Karnov-sky (4)
(Daily Sun) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
Im sorry but this thread is a bunch of scottish bullshit....OP get real man..