Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Introduction (Greetings from VGA)

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:26:28 PM
VideoGameGrader (0)

(TL Alexander) < Cherub >
Georgia

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and to offer to help with any VGA-related questions and concerns which may arise on this forum.  My name is Tom and I'm the contact working on behalf of VGA who researched the company's entry into the video game market.  It has only been with the help of several knowledgeable collectors here and on other forums that VGA has been able to enter the video game grading market with a sufficient amount of information to properly assess the items we grade.  For this I would truly like to thank those collectors.

While it is true that we can now only assess select sealed games from a few different platforms, our level of knowledge is growing and as such we plan to expand our services to include more video game platforms in the future.  For those collectors unaware of our origin, VGA is a new arm of the CGA-brand of companies and follows AFA (Action Figure Authority – our flagship brand), DCA (Die-Cast Authority), and CDA (Collectible Doll Authority).  The location of our grading facility and on-site acrylic factory is in Georgia and all of our products are made using the highest quality materials, completely manufactured and assembled here in Georgia (made in the USA).  Our facility is approximately 10,000 square feet and we employ 18 people full-time, several others part-time.  We are not a fly-by-night company or a company which is run out of somebody's residence.  We are a registered Georgia corporation with both commercial offices and industrial space.

I am posting personally to offer my help with any questions members here may have.  I also wanted to explain that as we expand, we try very hard to not make mistakes by grading items which shouldn't be graded.  We have 5 graders, but only 3 certified master graders (I know, sounds kind of funny).  Any delays over the last 2 weeks are due to San Diego Comic-Con.  Each year, 3 graders, including 2 master graders attend the event and this does slow us down for a short time.  Since grading video games is a fairly new endeavor and the recent submission of Athletic World is a fairly rare case of a game included with a larger item, the on-duty graders felt uncomfortable grading that particular game before another master grader and myself were able to take a look at it.  BTW: It is now graded and on the way back.  We apologize for this delay and would like to offer any submitters with delayed orders due to the Con a free future submission.  We have as a company graded roughly 200,000 items to date and we are human, so mistakes have been and will continue to be made.  Our goal however, is to make as few as possible.  We guarantee our product and if we ever grade an item which proves to be re-sealed, we will reimburse any buyer for their purchase price (although we will do everything in our power to ensure that any item we grade is originally sealed from the factory).  This is a policy which is in place for all our divisions to further offer peace of mind to our valued patrons.  Customer Service, integrity, and accuracy are our primary goals and when we fail in any one of those aspects, I take it personally and will do whatever I can to make up for it to each and every valued customer.  VGA (www.vggrader.com) can always be reached either by phone or email and if you don't receive a response within 1 business day (excludes weekends and holidays), feel free to contact me and I will make certain that both your situation and the lack of response is taken very seriously and addressed properly.

This is by far my favorite forum when it comes to Nintendo collecting and I greatly value the input and constructive criticism of everyone here.  I understand that grading is not for everyone and as with all other hobbies, there will always be collectors who care for it and those who don't.  I believe the collecting base is big enough to cater to both camps and grading can benefit those who choose to take advantage of it, as well as be virtually transparent to those who don't.  I have been very impressed by the level-headed discussions I have read in the video game collecting communities and feel that we have much to learn from all of you.  In addition to our grading services, our sliding-bottom acrylic cases are second to none and manufactured by a craftsman with over 20 years of experience custom-bending acrylic.  As a token of our appreciation for being members of such a quality on-line forum, please accept our offer of sending in one game for grading at half price or ordering one sliding-bottom case at half price.  In order to take advantage of this offer, please include coupon code NINTENDOAGE on any submission forms or email info@vggrader.com to order a case referencing coupon code NINTENDOAGE.  We will extend this offer to all forum members who submit a game or order a game case before the end of August.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions as I'm always happy to help.

Thank you,

Tom

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:56:37 PM
Promonition (0)

(T D) < Little Mac >
United States
Interesting. Were collectors contacted directly to help VGA get started?

-------------------------

Edited: 08/04/2008 at 09:01 PM by Promonition

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:59:14 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Thanks, Tom. I'll finally be taking advantage of your service with the half-price coupon. I've been saving up a few nice ones. I think this was the nudge I needed to finally get off my butt and do it.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:26:06 PM
VideoGameGrader (0)

Georgia

Hi Promonition,

Yes, please contact VGA directly at info@vggrader.com and once they get into the office on Monday, they can assist you with anything you need.  You can submit under any tier at half price (excluding return shipping and insurance) or can order any video game case at half price.

On a side note:  The VGA email domain has been set up in an unreliable format over the last few months.  Emails through the website or the CGA master domain have been getting through reliably, but emails directly to VGA may have been bouncing back at times.  This DNS issue has now been addressed and resolved.  All direct emails should now reach their intended recipients.  I am very sorry if anyone here has experienced a problem sending emails directly to the VGA domain.  It shouldn't happen again.

Please let me know how I can help further.

Thank you,

Tom

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:38:04 PM
jaredkk (57)
(Jared Klinger) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Interesing, I may get my factory sealed Wayne's World graded, if it's half price.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:19:58 PM
jofinn36 (9)

(Joseph Finnigan) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Cool glad to see not everybody here isn't out to get VGA. VGAs presence here is appreciated. By me anyway. Video Game Grader what kind of grades are coming out of your service. It would be intersting to know what kind of quality games are out there. Any rare titles or extremly high grades on popular titles?

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:24:50 PM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
So will you guy's be selling the Gameboy acyrlic cases seperatley? I asked this question a couple of weeks ago via E-mail and never got a response...

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:27:02 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
speaking of never getting a reply.. they never returned an email to my sign-up request.

Edit: my bad, went to my spam folder.

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 08/01/2008 at 11:40 PM by TheFrisbee

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:55:02 PM
jofinn36 (9)

North Carolina
I just sent in some games. One of them was Zelda OOT. Any problems with this game? What should I be looking for to check for reseals on this game and any others? I have two Copies of OOT and both seem to be legit but do not have the horizontal seal. And yes everybody I have read all the Ezines but want to get info from VGA. My invoice # is 22787.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:07:24 AM
TheFrisbee (194)
Tennessee
Zelda OOT had multiple seal types.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:18:55 AM
WaOnFiRe (156)
(Jean-Francois Brisson) < Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
I just tried to make an account on your web site and it says a message as been dispatched to my e-mail adress, 15 minutes after I still haven't received anything, is it normal?

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:20:27 AM
jofinn36 (9)

North Carolina
Thats what I have heard. I've seen three different types. The two I have and ones with horizontal seam. There is a VGA 80 up on Ebay stores now. It has the horizontal seal. Priced alittle high. Anybody else see the results from the Premier collect Auction. I think Things ended low. I really wanted that Zelda just to have both seals. I guess I'll have to wait maybe one will pop up on Ebay. Thought it would go higher. Maybe there isn't a higher price for the silver seal Zelda that sold. The Castelvania sold high so Im glad I picked mine up.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:21:31 AM
TheFrisbee (194)
Tennessee
check your spam folders.. went to mine for some reason

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:28:31 AM
WaOnFiRe (156)
(Jean-Francois Brisson) < Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
I doesn't even have a spam folder or spam filtering program so... lol

Aug 2, 2008 at 4:59:35 AM
Gameboy (22)
(Stian Olsen) < Meka Chicken >
Norway
What about us collectors from Europe, is there any point for us to get a game graded?
Or is this an American thing?

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:57:21 PM
VideoGameGrader (0)

Georgia

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm spending time with the family for the weekend.

I'll try to address all posts:

We will add Nintendo GB Cases to the site next week.  Sorry for the lack of response.  My guess is that it could be due to the DNS issue I mentioned in a previous post.

Zelda OOT - I know we will grade the horizontal seam version.  We are also researching grading the seal with an approx. 1/4" diameter hole in the plastic on each side of the box.  It would be very helpful if members here could comment of what types of seals your copies display.  I am fairly certain the second type of seal I mentioned is a legitimate factory seal.

Zelda for NES must have the seam to be graded.

Regarding not receiving information after registration, sometimes our automated emails are actually stopped by an ISP as spam, but it could be some other problem as well.  I'll have the IT department address this on Monday.  Could you email them at itdepartment@cgagrading.com so that they can look at your specific case and manually send you the email?

We accept submissions from every country in the world.  In fact, at least 1 of our 4 divisions has graded collectibles for collectors from all 50 states and over 50 different countries.

Please let me know how I can help further.  Have a great weekend.

Thanks,

Tom

Aug 3, 2008 at 8:57:21 AM
rarebucky (166)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Zelda OOT CE without the vertical seam must have factory ventholes (a vertical line on the front of the wrap). That is the first thing to look for.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:17:30 AM
jofinn36 (9)

North Carolina
The copy I have here has ventholes all over it. They are the size of NES game ventholes. The one I sent in had two large holes like VideoGamegrader mentioned. The back of the one I sent in has some kind of markings on the plastic. Both show no flap mark at the hinge. Both sides of the game have hinge openings so It certiantly doesn't look like it was ever opened. If it is a reseal nobody opened the game so it really wouldn't make any sense. Why would someone take off the plastic and not open it to get to the game?

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:54:02 AM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
They could be store re-seals.Sometimes the shrink wrap was damaged in transit or on the shelves,So the store re-seals them.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:54:38 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
^ if the plastic gets damaged, it'd be advantageous to rewrap it and not touch the contents. Not just from a collector's POV looking to get it as mint as possible - stores would also rewrap items that were torn by little kids. Remember, these weren't always behind glass.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:31:05 PM
jofinn36 (9)

North Carolina
That makes sense. They did a good job resealing them.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:49:40 PM
jofinn36 (9)

North Carolina
Sure would piss me off If these don't end up factory sealed. Theres not much I can do about it though. Would you get in touch with the people that make the game or what. I would doubt that there are a ton of Reseals out there. But I'm certainly learning more and more about Video games here.

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21:14 PM
rarebucky (166)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
I don't know anything about 2 large holes - that sounds like a reseal. It should just have the vertical line of ventholes on the front and/or back. if not, it's a reseal. I have 2 copies that are identical like this, one of which I bought myself on launch day.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:45:54 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
Tennessee
I have one the same as jofinn, vent holes, with the approx. 1/4 circular vent hole. I would say they are legit..no worries here.

Also.. i would like to know about weither or not these will be graded before i send it in. As, it is the only sealed game i have, and would like to take advantage of the discount.

Edited: 08/03/2008 at 07:48 PM by TheFrisbee

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:29:47 PM
mario's left nut (163)
(Poster Nutbag) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

And that's all I'm saying.

MLN'er

Do tigers sleep in lily patches, do rhinos run from thunder?