Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

2017 NESDev Compo

Jun 12 at 3:12:16 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Hey everyone, we've posted up the rules/guidlines for the 2017 compo ---> HERE <---. It is pretty much exactly as last year with just a few clarifications.  If you have any questions, let me know.  I'll be updating the website once we can figure out a better voting system.  In the meantime, good luck and have fun!

Edited: 07/24/2017 at 02:05 AM by NESHomebrew

Jul 24 at 2:04:00 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
Just thought I'd bump this since it hasn't had any replies yet. Just don't want to end up like last year where people weren't aware it was going on until it was too late.

Jul 24 at 7:40:47 AM
SoleGooseProductions (120)
(Beau ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Thinking about trying to pull something together for the next compo. Always a struggle, even six months out, but we'll see.

*And thank you for keeping us informed!

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 07/24/2017 at 07:41 AM by SoleGooseProductions

Oct 14 at 7:28:54 PM
dougeff (7)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Anyone here thinking of making a game this year? Just asking.

nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Oct 14 at 9:37:56 PM
Indiana
It's always my goal, and I never make it  . Thought of a fun test program today, and then realized that it doesn't really fit into a category/it's already been released.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 15 at 12:34:14 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
I always have the best intentions.

Oct 15 at 1:12:02 AM
Indiana
Henry Hopper FTW!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 15 at 3:14:21 PM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: dougeff

Anyone here thinking of making a game this year? Just asking.
I'm too slow. By the time I must submit an entry, I'd have a character jumping. I guess I could try to flesh out that puzzle game idea I have, only the problem is I already fill up my time working on these bigger projects.

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Edited: 10/15/2017 at 03:18 PM by GradualGames

Nov 01 at 12:59:52 AM
Gauauu (0)
(Nathan Tolbert) < Cherub >
Illinois
Suddenly this week I had the whim to make a game for the competition. I've got a fairly good idea of what I think I can accomplish in a couple months, but right now I have nothing in terms of music. Anyone interested in donating a song to the game? (either composing new, or something you've got laying around unused?)

PM for more details, I don't want to derail this thread.

My games: http://bitethechili.com

Nov 01 at 8:27:29 AM
drludos (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Just a silly question: do you know of any similar competition for GB dev or SNES Dev?
(I know the GB and SNES scene isn't a dynamic as the NES, but, that would be cool)

Nov 01 at 10:39:14 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: drludos

Just a silly question: do you know of any similar competition for GB dev or SNES Dev?
(I know the GB and SNES scene isn't a dynamic as the NES, but, that would be cool)
Sorry, I don't know of any off-hand.  However, there is a semi-active SNESDev section on NESDev.com, you could try asking there.  I haven't dabbled in either of them.

Edited: 11/01/2017 at 10:40 AM by NESHomebrew

Nov 01 at 10:48:33 AM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania

Wasn't your sheep game part of a game jam?   

Nov 01 at 2:16:52 PM
erac (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
There was a GB jam that allowed GB games, but did not require them - they only had to match the resolution, buttons and gray palette.

Nov 01 at 2:20:14 PM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
There's also some dude on fb indie game chat posting about his gb game and he already has a scrolling platformer with most mechanics done after like a week.

Why am I even trying to make games?

Wait, I remember!

Edited: 11/01/2017 at 02:21 PM by GradualGames

Nov 01 at 8:53:22 PM
drludos (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: GradualGames

Wasn't your sheep game part of a game jam?   

Thanks for your replies!

@GradualGames, you are correct, Sheep It Up! started as an entry for the BitBitJam, where you have one week to create a game for a retro machine of your choice (computer, console, etc.): http://bitbitjam.com/...
That got me started, and they I kept on improving the game during the following months before releasing in a on cart.

But I was actually wondering if there was a "long" competition for the GB or SNES scene to, similar to the NESdev one. A GameJam is wonderful (really, I love taking part in GameJams), but you can't create the same kind of games in one week that you can in 6 months, especially when working on retro hardware  . I guess the answer is no then, and that the NESdev competition is quite unique then - which isn't suprising considering how vivid the NES scene is compared the other Nintendo consoles.

@erac: thanks for mentionning the GBJam - it's quite a nice jam, but it's for "GB inspired games", meaning there are very few actual GB games in it (they should to a section about GB games only tough, that could be fun!).

Btw, GradualGames, I'm surprised to see you demotivated, because to me, your NES homebrew are simply outstanding - I wish I were able to make so polished and content-rich games for the NES!

Nov 01 at 9:23:33 PM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania

Btw, GradualGames, I'm surprised to see you demotivated, because to me, your NES homebrew are simply outstanding - I wish I were able to make so polished and content-rich games for the NES!
Thanks! 
I'm not demotivated just so much as feeling bewildered by a world that moves so fast around me. The way I make games is to be unbelievably stubborn and patient. For most people, this pace would probably have made them quit ages and ages ago.

Just to give you an example, it took me all evening this evening just to make a simple chr tile animation work the way I wanted. I'm happy I got it working, but I'm guessing most people would just go: "I shouldn't even be doing this" and give up completely if something took that long. The difference is, I refuse to give up even though I'm a horrible programmer. I just keep getting up every time I get knocked down and yell "fuck you" into the chill wind of fate that is trying to stop me from making my games. And fate goes: "WHY WON'T HE DIE!?!?!?!"

It's kind of the same attitude one must have to beat Ninja Gaiden. Die hundreds of times, dust yourself off, keep going, keep trying til you fucking beat it.

I honestly don't think I would have either made an NES game nor beaten Ninja Gaiden if I hadn't internalized that G.K. Chesterton quote.

Edited: 11/01/2017 at 09:28 PM by GradualGames

Nov 02 at 4:30:50 PM
FrankenGraphics (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Alabama

Just to give you an example, it took me all evening this evening just to make a simple chr tile animation work the way I wanted. I'm happy I got it working, but I'm guessing most people would just go: "I shouldn't even be doing this" and give up completely if something took that long.
I think i can relate to this completely. A partner outside nes development use to remind me the devil is in the details, but sometimes i still find myself effectively dumping how many hours my salary is worth, spending unpaid overtime on making gui details behave like i intended them to instead of looking for a quicker, alternate way to get the job done. 

http://www.frankengraphics.com/ - my homemade NES graphics. tunes, with excerpts from my projects diary reformatted as blog posts.   

Nov 03 at 10:42:33 AM
Gauauu (0)
Illinois
Originally posted by: GradualGames I'm not demotivated just so much as feeling bewildered by a world that moves so fast around me. The way I make games is to be unbelievably stubborn and patient. For most people, this pace would probably have made them quit ages and ages ago.

I hear you.  I'm always afraid, when I start a project, that by the time I'm done 3 years later, nobody will be interested in that sort of thing anymore  

Nov 03 at 10:47:48 AM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Gauauu

Originally posted by: GradualGames I'm not demotivated just so much as feeling bewildered by a world that moves so fast around me. The way I make games is to be unbelievably stubborn and patient. For most people, this pace would probably have made them quit ages and ages ago.

I hear you.  I'm always afraid, when I start a project, that by the time I'm done 3 years later, nobody will be interested in that sort of thing anymore  
Well neat thing is, it really seems as though neshomebrew is growing somewhat. It does appear it's going to be around for a while. There are enough hardcore fans of homebrew that are from our same generation there's always going to at least be a niche hobby market for it for years to come, of that I'm fairly confident. I don't see it suddenly evaporating and nobody caring anymore. Whether or not it becomes a huge force in the indie gaming world overall, well, that remains to be seen. (and I don't particularly care, myself, if it does).

Plus I never really did this for anybody else. I didn't even know I'd be able to share my rom with more than just my friends and family later on, much less actually publish on cartridge. The blossoming of this scene, the powerpak, the avs, the friends I've made here, all these things are just stupefyingly amazing gifts from heaven I couldn't possibly express enough gratitude for.

Edited: 11/03/2017 at 10:49 AM by GradualGames

Nov 03 at 10:52:42 AM
Gauauu (0)
Illinois

Well neat thing is, it really seems as though neshomebrew is growing somewhat. It does appear it's going to be around for a while. There are enough hardcore fans of homebrew that are from our same generation there's always going to at least be a niche hobby market for it for years to come, of that I'm fairly confident. I don't see it suddenly evaporating and nobody caring anymore. Whether or not it becomes a huge force in the indie gaming world overall, well, that remains to be seen. (and I don't particularly care, myself, if it does).

Plus I never really did this for anybody else. I didn't even know I'd be able to share my rom with more than just my friends and family later on, much less actually publish on cartridge. The blossoming of this scene, the powerpak, the avs, the friends I've made here, all these things are just stupefyingly amazing gifts from heaven I couldn't possibly express enough gratitude for.

I totally agree in this case, the NES is a perfect target community that probably won't be going anywhere for a while.

But, for example, in the Gameboy Advance community, I made (what I thought was) a great game, but about a year afterward, China stopped making cheap flash carts, people moved on, and the community mostly disappeared.  

That said, people still played my game, which is all I wanted, so I was happy, but it always makes me wonder how long a community will last  

Nov 03 at 10:55:46 AM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
Pennsylvania

I totally agree in this case, the NES is a perfect target community that probably won't be going anywhere for a while.

But, for example, in the Gameboy Advance community, I made (what I thought was) a great game, but about a year afterward, China stopped making cheap flash carts, people moved on, and the community mostly disappeared.  

That said, people still played my game, which is all I wanted, so I was happy, but it always makes me wonder how long a community will last  

I get the feeling neshomebrew has reached some kind of threshold point with respect to its lasting potential. I also perceive that homebrew for handhelds for some reason doesn't appear to be gaining the traction that NES does. I think the power of the nostalgia surrounding the NES culturally and otherwise is just unbelievably immense, and then throw in that it's not THAT tough for a 1 to 3 person team to make a decent NES game (relatively to say the SNES or even later consoles), and its just the perfect recipe for a homebrew scene to flourish, I think. Not to mention all these hardware dudes who are here in the USA who are as invested in the nostalgia as the game devs are. Absolutely all of the ingredients for longevity of this scene are in place I think.

Edited: 11/03/2017 at 10:56 AM by GradualGames