Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew NESDev Compo 2016

Jan 10 at 1:42:57 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
Looks like I kinda dropped the ball on this one.  I thought I had made a Nintendoage thread, but I went searching for it and couldn't find it.  I will link to the NESDev one here: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14348

Sooo, if you haven't already started, I wish you the best  .  The deadline is January 31st. I know a bunch of you that could whip something together in 3 weeks. If it's any consolation, I haven't started my entry either and I help organize the contest.

Love ya!
-Brad

Jan 10 at 8:00:19 AM
SoleGooseProductions (120)
(Beau ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Michigan
I just saw your post about this last week on Twitter, but until then I had not known that it was going on this year :/. Is it going to be an every year thing in the future? I know that it was missed for a couple of years, so I got out of the habit of anticipating it.

Hmm, now what could be made ready for a three week deadline...

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jan 10 at 8:04:44 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

I just saw your post about this last week on Twitter, but until then I had not known that it was going on this year :/. Is it going to be an every year thing in the future? I know that it was missed for a couple of years, so I got out of the habit of anticipating it.

Hmm, now what could be made ready for a three week deadline...

Sent you an email.  

Jan 10 at 10:28:46 AM
Mega Mario Man (58)
(Tim ) < Kraid Killer >
Nebraska
Oh crap...I would love to contribute, I don't think I could whip anything up in less than a month.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jan 10 at 3:12:36 PM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
I'm really sorry guys! I could have sworn I posted it. I did mention it in another thread here at nintendoage.

Anyways, yes, the idea is to get it going at a regular schedule and refine it to the point where we shouldn't have to make too many changes or adjustments between years. The nice thing about this competition is that as long as people buy cartridges it is self funded. If we don't sell very much, then that just means there will be smaller or less prizes. This year is pretty sweet with:

1st Place - $512
2nd Place - $256
3rd Place - $128
4th Place - $64
5th Place - $32

Jan 10 at 3:54:37 PM
Mega Mario Man (58)
(Tim ) < Kraid Killer >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: NESHomebrew

I'm really sorry guys! I could have sworn I posted it. I did mention it in another thread here at nintendoage.

Anyways, yes, the idea is to get it going at a regular schedule and refine it to the point where we shouldn't have to make too many changes or adjustments between years. The nice thing about this competition is that as long as people buy cartridges it is self funded. If we don't sell very much, then that just means there will be smaller or less prizes. This year is pretty sweet with:

1st Place - $512
2nd Place - $256
3rd Place - $128
4th Place - $64
5th Place - $32

No Sweat! I should really venture out of the Brewery a bit more.  

BTW, I love how the payouts are structured!

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jan 10 at 7:03:19 PM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

BTW, I love how the payouts are structured!

Yep, it was fully intended  

Jan 10 at 9:08:49 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

The deadline is January 31st. -Brad

I sent you an email as well. Hope it is good enough to make it. Else, next time.
Thanks (to you and everyone else involved) for all your efforts organizing all this.  

Edit: formatting, missed the breaking line.

Edited: 01/10/2017 at 09:10 PM by user

Jan 10 at 10:14:27 PM
bootload (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Would you consider a releasing a NesDev 2016 cartridge with all the entries on it?

Jan 11 at 12:09:27 AM
Mega Mario Man (58)
(Tim ) < Kraid Killer >
Nebraska
Originally posted by: bootload

Would you consider a releasing a NesDev 2016 cartridge with all the entries on it?

That's how this competition works and how it is funded. It's always fun to play these carts!!!

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jan 11 at 11:30:30 PM
DarkKobold (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
I'm just excited for Triple Action 53: Volume 3 to be released.

I just bought volume 2, and while it doesn't have a killer app like Streamerz was on volume 1, it has a ton of quality games on it.

If you like 4 player games, its worth buying for Super PakPak alone. We played it at a party, and it stayed in the system for hours. Possibly the best 4 player NES game.

Jan 15 at 3:47:33 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: DarkKobold

I'm just excited for Triple Action 53: Volume 3 to be released.

I just bought volume 2, and while it doesn't have a killer app like Streamerz was on volume 1, it has a ton of quality games on it.

If you like 4 player games, its worth buying for Super PakPak alone. We played it at a party, and it stayed in the system for hours. Possibly the best 4 player NES game.

You may have the ability to buy volume 1 in the future.  Paul (InfiniteNESLives) is working on some new hardware  

I should also mention that the website has been updated (finally) with the submission and judging criteria.

Edited: 01/15/2017 at 05:56 AM by NESHomebrew

Jan 25 at 6:43:15 AM
erac (0)

< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
There's discussion on Nesdev about extending the deadline with a month. Are there people here who'd be able to create an entry with the extended time?

Link

Edited: 01/25/2017 at 06:44 AM by erac

Jan 25 at 7:55:51 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: erac

There's discussion on Nesdev about extending the deadline with a month. Are there people here who'd be able to create an entry with the extended time?

Link

I have not strong feelings on the issue, and for what my opinion is worth, I think there is some wisdom in what INL says in such thread. Deadlines are deadlines. Then of course, if someone misses a deadline by 48 hours, because a relative was in hospital, and he / she had to spend time there, perfectly normal to accept a 48 hours late entry. These are my two cents on the concept.

Answering your direct question instead: "I could, maybe, but I will not".

If I make something else for the competition, and I'll likely in future make something else for the competition, it will be for edition 2018, 2019, ... taking all the time it gets to develop an idea and chew on it before translating it into a game. Of course 99% of the job is materialize an idea or concept into a game (graphics, code, music, testing, ...), but still, without a cool idea and concept to begin with, you go nowhere interesting anyways, even pumping out 12 hours a day coding, designing, composing, ... for a whole month.

Moreover, I'm hired for another NES project at this time, and for respect of that duty and the person hiring me, I will not postpone such project to selfishly add another entry to NES Dev competition, so not for me.

Again, this is just my position, I have no strong feeling on the issue, if they extend the deadline good luck from me to any new entry, and whatever decision is really fine with me.

My only entry for year 2017 will be CYO anyways.

Someone else can have different views and opinions, and that's just fine.  

Jan 28 at 5:09:15 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

The deadline is January 31st. -Brad

So, did you guy organizing this awesome competition (you, Tepples, INL, and all the other friendly organizers) had a chance to talk privately about the issue in a definitive manner?
(I ask here since I see no further important developments on the NesDev thread related to the issue, and I fear that I'm too much a quack game designer lacking programming skills for some NesDev members taste to dare joining the conversation over there).

It is the January 31st deadline confirmed?
Or the inscription of further eligible games to the competition is extended up to March 1st?

Also, how voting works? Am I supposed to cast a vote on other people work? I hope not...
I ask because I am not a good judge, my instinct is to give 10/10 to everyone just for the fact that it is a new NES ROM to try! And I have fun trying out other people ROMs, but at this time I can only test stuff which works on FCEux 2.1.4a. So complex stuff could have unfair glitches on my end, You'll let me know.

Side note, errata: in my previous post I refer to 2016 when stating *2017, and to 2017, 2018, ... when stating *2018, *2019, ... . I mean, I talk about the year in which the deadline takes place, instead of the year the edition of the competition is associated with in its name. So, read my previous sentence:
""" My only entry for year 2017 will be CYO anyways. """
as:
""" For this NESDev competition, edition year 2016, with deadline in year 2017, my only entry will be CYO """

Please guys let me know.

Thanks for everything!

Cheers!  

Jan 31 at 8:27:30 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.co...

Judging
Category 1:
Judging will be done by two groups. Both groups will be using the same judging criteria. The first group is a select group of pre-determined judges. The second group will be anyone who submits an entry in this category. The results of the pre-selected judges will be included as a weighted average in with the rest of the votes. The incentive for submitters to vote will be that they will automatically score their own game for full points. In the event that a pre-selected judge submits an entry, the weighted average for their entry will be the average of the other pre-selected judges scores and a full score will be averaged along with the other entries.

Judging Criteria:

Art and Style 5
Sound 5
Polish and Completeness 10
Originality 15
Overall 15

Questions:

1. I downloaded already several ROMs that I think, reading here above, that I have to test out and judge.
It is there a full list to make sure that I did not miss any?

2. For each entry, you must give a numerical evaluation under each category (art and style, sound, polish, originality, overall) correct?
If this is the case, do you have to justify with a bit of text why such evaluation, or just put the number and go on?

3. Also, it is not clear this: what would stop someone in "second group" from giving 0 to every other work to gain ranking him or her self?
I am sure that this will never happen, but if I can dare say a thing, I would propose FOR FUTURE EDITIONS that the "second group" votes just the best (other work) for each category (best art and style (game), best sound (game), best polish and completeness (game), best originality (game), best overall (game)), while the "first group" can still cast weigthed judgment like it is now.
The "second group" votes will be implemented adding them somehow in the algorithm to the "first group" weigthed evaluations.
This solution would not only force to express a positive vote and comment about something that you liked, rather than negative ones about other people work that you liked less, but it would also make the life easier to "second group" judges.

3. Do I publish my evaluation here? Send them by email to Brad?

4. Most importantly: did I understand correctly that I am supposed to judge other people work? Because this is something I will (kind of) happily do if it is my role; but I would be very happy also not having this duty to "officially rank" other people work. But if other partecipants do so, no problems at all, I will dedicate the time needed to test all entires and judge them. What is the deadline for such task to be completed?

Thanks to everyone who can give me answers!  

Feb 01 at 11:56:59 PM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: user

http://nesdevcompo.nintendoage.com/rules/2016/#judging

Judging
Category 1:
Judging will be done by two groups. Both groups will be using the same judging criteria. The first group is a select group of pre-determined judges. The second group will be anyone who submits an entry in this category. The results of the pre-selected judges will be included as a weighted average in with the rest of the votes. The incentive for submitters to vote will be that they will automatically score their own game for full points. In the event that a pre-selected judge submits an entry, the weighted average for their entry will be the average of the other pre-selected judges scores and a full score will be averaged along with the other entries.

Judging Criteria:

Art and Style 5
Sound 5
Polish and Completeness 10
Originality 15
Overall 15

Questions:

1. I downloaded already several ROMs that I think, reading here above, that I have to test out and judge.
It is there a full list to make sure that I did not miss any?

2. For each entry, you must give a numerical evaluation under each category (art and style, sound, polish, originality, overall) correct?
If this is the case, do you have to justify with a bit of text why such evaluation, or just put the number and go on?

3. Also, it is not clear this: what would stop someone in "second group" from giving 0 to every other work to gain ranking him or her self?
I am sure that this will never happen, but if I can dare say a thing, I would propose FOR FUTURE EDITIONS that the "second group" votes just the best (other work) for each category (best art and style (game), best sound (game), best polish and completeness (game), best originality (game), best overall (game)), while the "first group" can still cast weigthed judgment like it is now.
The "second group" votes will be implemented adding them somehow in the algorithm to the "first group" weigthed evaluations.
This solution would not only force to express a positive vote and comment about something that you liked, rather than negative ones about other people work that you liked less, but it would also make the life easier to "second group" judges.

3. Do I publish my evaluation here? Send them by email to Brad?

4. Most importantly: did I understand correctly that I am supposed to judge other people work? Because this is something I will (kind of) happily do if it is my role; but I would be very happy also not having this duty to "officially rank" other people work. But if other partecipants do so, no problems at all, I will dedicate the time needed to test all entires and judge them. What is the deadline for such task to be completed?

Thanks to everyone who can give me answers!  

Sorry, maybe I missed emailing it to you since you were the first to submit.  Once I gather and check all the entries, I will be sending an email with a link to do the evaluations.  You are not required to judge the entries, and you can give them whatever marks you wish.  Obviously if there are some major discrepancies they will likely be discarded.

Feb 01 at 11:59:12 PM
Michigan
Did the deadline get extended by chance? I finally have something ready that I could submit, but it would take a few days to strip it down  .

SoleGooseProductions.com

Feb 02 at 12:11:13 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

Sorry, maybe I missed emailing it to you since you were the first to submit. Once I gather and check all the entries, I will be sending an email with a link to do the evaluations. You are not required to judge the entries, and you can give them whatever marks you wish. Obviously if there are some major discrepancies they will likely be discarded.

Thanks for the reply. I'll do my best to make a technical analysis, but please, like you said, if my judging criteria should not match what you expect, discard my opinions!
As already stated, I'll do this evaluation by numbers thing, because I'm fine sharing an opinion, and I really want to do my task like anyone else, if this helps the competition, but I don't think the role of judge really fits me, especially being a basically relaxed about it guy, but still, a bit competitive in what I do.
If you have the feeling that my opinions and ranks lack objectivity, do me the favor to discard them.  
First time ever that I'm doing this.
All this being said, once again, I'll do my best to provide reliable rankings, and I hope to do a good enough job also about that.
Thanks for everything, waiting for your mail!  

Edit: in few words, I know that I'm good in designing solid not extremely ambitious games, I don't know how good I am in ranking other people work. So, I'm a bit uncomfortable about it. But I'll try my best.

Edited: 02/02/2017 at 12:17 AM by user

Feb 02 at 1:13:43 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
I wouldn't worry too much! No pressure, there are actually quite a few entries this year so each individual score won't make too much of a difference.

Feb 02 at 1:19:06 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Did the deadline get extended by chance? I finally have something ready that I could submit, but it would take a few days to strip it down  .

Quoting Tepples "It has been extended to Jan 31st 2018"  

We'll be starting up the next contest fairly soon, so feel free to submit to that one.  I probably would have accepted something a day late, but at this point we need to get the judging and stuff wrapped up asap. Next year Beau!! You have a whole year to make it awesome.

Feb 02 at 6:24:28 PM
DarkKobold (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah
You may have the ability to buy volume 1 in the future.  Paul (InfiniteNESLives) is working on some new hardware  

I should also mention that the website has been updated (finally) with the submission and judging criteria.

I think it would better to be like the X-mas carts - only available after the competition for a certain amount of time. Puts pressure on people to get the cart.

Feb 02 at 8:29:07 PM
Michigan

Quoting Tepples "It has been extended to Jan 31st 2018"  

We'll be starting up the next contest fairly soon, so feel free to submit to that one.  I probably would have accepted something a day late, but at this point we need to get the judging and stuff wrapped up asap. Next year Beau!! You have a whole year to make it awesome.

It'll be done and out soon enough, so I guess I'll just have to get something else far enough along for next year. Now what large project to tackle next...

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 02/02/2017 at 08:29 PM by SoleGooseProductions

Feb 03 at 2:57:21 AM
NESHomebrew (20)
Saskatchewan
The website has been updated with all the entries (so far). 21 entries... you guys really outdid yourselves. I need to sleep so I will be sending the voting link to the participants tomorrow. I'm guessing it will take a while to go through all of these!!

Edited: 02/03/2017 at 02:57 AM by NESHomebrew

Feb 03 at 4:06:47 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

The website has been updated with all the entries (so far). 21 entries... you guys really outdid yourselves. I need to sleep so I will be sending the voting link to the participants tomorrow. I'm guessing it will take a while to go through all of these!!

Thank you for posting this.

Sincerely thank you for officially including my entry into the category I of the competition. That's great!

I already downloaded the file, but I make up my mind, and finally decided that I will not be a judge, i.e. I will not submit detailed evaluations of other people work.

Main reason, it is not a role I like, nor I feel belongs to me, being my game into the list, honestly.

Second reason, I am lazy, and rank 21 games in 5 categories sounds too much like work to me.

Then, I already promised the guys in gamer gauntlet to tackle FFIII us soonish, for the thread.

Moreover, on top of that, I'm in talks to code something else.

Finally, real life, with duties and business besides NES projects, and I have been spending a lot more time than I am willing to admit in NES activity in these last 40-50 days: I need to care about other duties.

Sorry about that guys, your princess is in another castle.

I will play the games when I have a bit of time to spend, but not with the pressure to judge them.
And I will of course be interested in the results of the competition, once published.

Thanks for understanding.  

Happy judging to everyone tackling such task.

Again, best luck to everyone!