Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew New Game Announcement: 0-to-X! NA Edition Is Now on Sale!

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:42:10 PM
SoleGooseProductions (120)
(Beau ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana

Title screen art in 3D! https://sketchfab.com/models/4e0f...

;;;;;;;;;;;;

NA Edition is up and at 'em: http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

;;;;;;;;;;;;

Auction is live over: http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Original post:

I'm happy to announce the next release from Sole Goose Productions! The wait has been slightly longer than I would have liked, but that's how these things go I am told . Our second game is title 0-to-X and is inspired by the internet phenomenon 2048. We have done our best to spice it up and make it a worthy physical release, but as always that is up to you to decide. The game has been a true collaboration, and has passed through a couple of different hands in order to get to where it is. User programmed the main game, in addition to drawing the graphics for this section and adding a unique scoring system that will keep you competing with friends and foes alike. Memblers has been gracious enough to allow me to pillage his back catalog of music, some of which stretches back to the early days of NES development (nearly two decades!). The sound engine is even banamos NerdTracker II. In addition to setting up the game to take advantage of flash saves and GTROM, Memblers has also taken the time to integrate the main game engine with what I have added to the game (the intro, title, and high score screens/states; the first time that any of my own code has appeared in print!). The title screen itself was drawn by my brother, and it also features on some of the box work. He and KHan also took the time to help out with the various pieces of the NA packaging, drawing and formatting the box, manual, and label. We also submitted the game to a battery of testing by MattBep, Arch, and NESHomebrew, all of whom did an excellent job in helping the game to become what it is today.

The game is a tile based puzzler, and most are probably familiar with how to play. For those not in the know, you simply slide like tiles together, which will then become the next numerically greater tile. Simple, right? Wrong! There is a surprising amount of skill, depth, and addiction that lies beneath the simple game mechanics, and I myself have lost many an afternoon to it in the name of "testing" . In order to keep things interesting, your high scores are saved on the high score screen, and you can also enter your initials for posterity's sake. Thanks be to Kevin for letting me lightly borrow from his screen design (based on memory, since I can't seem to top my old high scores in Study Hall or ET).

As with Swords and Runes, I have decided to release the game in a couple of editions. The LE and the NA will be released shortly, and each is described below.

The Limited Edition (LE):

The LEs were clearly designed to play off of the tile theme found in the game itself, and as such there are eleven different variations (0... all the way to X, get it?). Along with the two protos, that leaves at least two of each tile/color, and in some cases there are three of a design (thirty plus two... almost the answer to the mystery of life). The box and label correspond with each other as well, which is why black caerts were chosen as opposed to the purple ones in the NA Edition. While they would go with 0, they would very much clash with X (let alone 5 and 6!). Games are numbered on the title screen and also somewhere on the box (still deciding). Just a few tweaks and these will be finished.

Here are the basics:

-Numbered copy of the game (number displayed on the title screen)
-LE exclusive label (which will match the box)
-Wooden book box depicting one of the tiles in the game, with cloth inlay, individually numbered
-3x the secret physical rewards (must be earned, money can’t buy everything)

In place of the standard buckle clasp, I chose to fill the holes that were there and use a magnet one. This gives a flush look to the outside of the box, and in my opinion fits with the tile theme a bit better.

I may do something special when it comes to the backdrop on the inner side of the top lid, and that would be to allow the recipients to play the game's ROM for a week or two and then send in a screen capture of their best board. This image would then take the place of the title logo.

There are still two pieces that I am waiting on for these to be finished, one being the cassette tapes (translucent purple or black) which will feature Memblers' soundtrack, and I am also exploring the possibility of having a unique cover made for the manual. The former is a definite item, whereas the latter may be the same as the NA. If that is the case, expect a little something extra elsewhere .

Sales for the LE are going to work a little differently this time around. In order to show my appreciation to those who supported the LE for Swords and Runes, they will privately be offered the option to buy it first (at most half of the thirty will be sold this way, with the rest being given to folks). I will go down the list of S&R bidders, starting with the highest bidder, and offer it to them each in turn for a fixed price. At least two copies will be offered for public sale at some point, but since many were not a fan of the one-bid auction format the first time around I am game for trying something new. I am always open to trade offers , so feel free to PM me in the meantime. I have set aside a certain number of copies for this purpose (not many,  only so many that I can slip by the wife!), and at least one such arrangement has already been made.

A special thanks must also be given to K3vbot, who made the trip to town to help me for a day. Without him these would not have been finished in time, and potentially could have been delayed until the spring. Thanks buddy!

The Numbered Addition (NA) Edition:

The NA Edition, in order to create a sense of consistency among SGP releases, will follow the same pattern laid out by the NA Edition of Swords and Runes. This means that this edition will once again feature the following:

-Numbered title screen (limited to 101)
-Exclusive NA purple cartridge
-Brand new GTROM board by Membler Industries
-Special edition box, manual, and label
-Paper cart sleeve
-Styrofoam block
-A special surprise that must be won
-A reservation for the same number of the next SGP NA release (conditional on retaining this release)

How sales are going to work is as follows: those who own the S&R NA edition will be given a week to act on their reservation for 0-to-X. A wait list will likely begin at the same time for those who did not purchase S&R (there are still copies available, if anyone is interested ). Once the week is up, public sales will begin, starting with the wait list.

Once the first copies have shipped, a High Score contest will also begin! Whereas there is a secret in S&R, a contest seemd more appropriate for 0-to-X. To make things interesting, there will be three different prizes, and they will be based on contest scores. The better the prize (higher the score), the fewer that will be available. In the case of ties, the first one with the score will retain their place. Each NA copy is eligible for one prize.

Look for the LE sales to begin in the next week or two (sorry for the Christmas timing), and the NA sales to begin toward the middle or end of January. Oh, and for those still waiting on the gift/dev copies of the S&R LE, I'm almost done with them. Sorry for the never ending wait .

~SGP

-------------------------
"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 09/28/2016 at 07:26 AM by SoleGooseProductions

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:51:46 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Awesome!

By the way, little side note: I have no idea how you guys could fit that wide detailed starting screen into the NES CHR memory, I imagine it surely costed a lot of time, dedication and optimization tile-wise.
Just want to say: Great work! I'm truly impressed!

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:10:07 PM
K3VBOT (279)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
God, why is this so good looking!
Finally something to be excited about!!

And that sexy beast working the hair dryer

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:00:57 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Bowser >
California
Those wood boxes look great! Someone needs to buy the full set...

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:09:02 PM
arch_8ngel (66)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Looks great! I'm excited to see how long before anybody beats my and Brad's scores.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:49:21 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (118)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I'm in for the NA numbered release. 😗

Ready for adventure!

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:20:57 PM
KHAN Games (88)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:50:22 PM
SUBSCRIBER
behemos (125)
(Endless Mike) < Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Stoked for this. I'll keep my eye on the LE auction, but I'm definitely down for a #88 to match my S&R.

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:15:55 PM
Indiana
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Those wood boxes look great! Someone needs to buy the full set...

I considered offering that option until there were less than eleven remaining, but pretty sure there'd be people at my door with pitch forks. K3v does have a picture somewhere of when he tried to play the game on the floor with them .

Originally posted by: user

Awesome!

By the way, little side note: I have no idea how you guys could fit that wide detailed starting screen into the NES CHR memory, I imagine it surely costed a lot of time, dedication and optimization tile-wise.
Just want to say: Great work! I'm truly impressed!

Optomized? Not at all. Burned memory like it was going out of style (and still have hundreds of kb free!). I hadn't used sprite 0 in this exact way before, but it ended up not being too bad, except where I re-used some of my vertical split screen scrolling code and couldn't figure why one scan line was missing. Argh! Finding that might have taken longer than actually programming in the split and swap (thanks Bunny for the Advanced NN tutorials, by the way), particularly since MRN's CPUsage bar was hiding the fact until I had already moved on (a very useful tool, despite this one instance).

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Looks great! I'm excited to see how long before anybody beats my and Brad's scores.

Never .

SoleGooseProductions.com

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:45:25 PM
mattbep (104)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Man, you make awesome LE boxes! Only two so far, but I'm sure future ones will be great as well.

Important FAQ to add to the LE thread: Were all boxes touched by K3VBOT?

Dec 15, 2015 at 6:47:30 PM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
This looks really neat solegoose!

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:49:26 PM
SUBSCRIBER
neodolphino (159)
(Justin ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: mattbep

Were all boxes touched by K3VBOT?

x2... for.... science..?

Friggen awesome work Beau!.. you know I'm in!

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:27:05 PM
K3VBOT (279)
(K3V ) < King Solomon >
Indiana
Originally posted by: neodolphino

x2... for.... science..?

Every single one. muahahahaha

here are some other misc shots of the LE box production. Was a busy day

Edited: 12/15/2015 at 08:27 PM by K3VBOT

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:38:08 PM
RpgCollector (123)
(Jeff Oconnell) < Kraid Killer >
California
Amazing work as always!

Looking for these USA Sega Game Gear Games Complete or Box Only:

Berenstain Bears - Bubble Bobble - Captain America  - CJ Elephant - Fantastic Dizzy - Fantasy Zone - Formula One -  Home Alone -  Incredible Crash Dummies - Junction - Mega Man - Micro Machines - Ninja Gaiden - Robocop vs Terminator - SpiderMan Xmen - Soprts Illustrated - Super Off Road - Urban Strike - Zool

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:02:44 PM
Benihana (153)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Looks great dude! I am definitely buying one of these.
You all know how much I got hooked on 2048!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:03:52 PM
SUBSCRIBER
M-Tee (26)
(M Tee) < Eggplant Wizard >
Love that title screen.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:17:20 AM
toshi5o3 (63)
(Sergio E.) < Meka Chicken >
California
Duuuude… that looks awesome! I'm looking forward to your release =)

"A Winner is You" -- Real audio on a cart? Full length NES album? Now you're playing with power. Play it on your AVS (or toaster): RetroUSB.com

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:30:17 AM
Vectrex28 (117)
(Samus Aran) < Bowser >
Japan
Looks great! Love the title screen. The boxes look great too! Definitely gonna bid on it!

Currently visiting friends in East Asia. Homebrewing will resume in August :)
Looking for Japanese stuff? PM me and I'll keep an eye out while I'm there

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:38:31 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
This game looks awesome!

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:03:45 PM
Benihana (153)
Washington
The real question is how much money do I need to put into my paypal account? I gots money to spend!!!

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:23:05 PM
Skorp (25)
(Bryan ) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Man, that is just amazing work. Truly one of the finest. Loving the creativity to match with the theme of the game. Looks like I have some saving up to do. Looking forward to whenever they are released.

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need three more:
              Minty Front Label Only Starfox NFR, Diddy Kong Racing, and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread

Wanted: Timewalk Castlevania Redaction Cart Only or CIB. Please contact me.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:04:39 AM
SUBSCRIBER
JamesRobot (15)
(No. 2 Turd Man ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
This looks pretty fantastic, SoleGoose! I'll be getting me an NA copy.

Originally posted by: K3VBOT

Originally posted by: neodolphino

x2... for.... science..?

Every single one. muahahahaha

here are some other misc shots of the LE box production. Was a busy day

Love seeing the production shots of the LE boxes! Beautiful work.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:30:39 PM
Indiana
More "making of" material (and more pictures of K3vbot since he seems to be real reason people keep checking the thread) will be revealed at some point, don't worry . You guys know I like to write, and the (failed) student in me has a penchant for documenting things (plus iPhone power!). More shots of my grandparent's basement can be found in The New 8-Bit Heroes documentary, as well as on my Twitter. Made a trip home during the fall to meet with a pair of Joes, discuss homebrews, and to build the 0-to-X proto box (fittingly, it is a 0). Busy weekend, but hopefully it was worth it!

Also, two of the three to four copies set aside for trade are reserved (fellow brewer trades are welcome, FYI; thanks man!). That little nugget was buried in the wall of text, sorry. The trades are open to anyone, whereas private sales (going down the list of S&R LE bidders) will begin in the next week or two, with the public auction for the remaining two or so copies to follow that. This has been a most exciting and welcome second project, free of some of the pressures of the first, and just as fun all around!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 12/17/2015 at 02:01 PM by SoleGooseProductions

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:41:01 PM
Benihana (153)
Washington
Shut up and take my money!

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:50:46 PM
GibbyVA (32)
(NESCAPADES ) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Are you going to message the normal NA edition placeholders from S&R buyers as well or are we just going to have to check in daily to make sure we don't miss out? There's times I don't get on the boards for a week or two and don't want to miss this.

8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia