Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew CYO NES game

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:09:28 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Cyo is a simple minimal NES shooting game which I entirely designed and coded by myself.

NintendoAge user Mog was officially the first one to defeat the game on real hardware: CONGRATULATIONS!

Mog will be rewarded for this record with my game designer reward copy LE#2 of 0 to X.

Last edit: removed an outdated and misinforming FAQ concerning the physical release of the game.

Edited: 06/12/2017 at 10:02 AM by user

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:16:29 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Sweet! I'll give it a go on my Everdrive

-------------------------

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:47:44 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: NESMASTER14

Cool!

Good point! Whoever provides a bit of feedback (PM, email, post here, whatever) about how it plays on real hardware, gets his/her name (or nickmane) in the manual special thanks section..

Thank You!

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:57:48 PM
SUBSCRIBER
thesubcon3 (147)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Maryland
So I just played it, super interesting aspects with the two firing types. Perhaps add a little sound when you fire and when you successfully hit an enemy? That way you know when you are using the correct weapon.

You can check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

The Complete SNES (Definitive Edition) is Live on Kickstarter!:

​https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thesubcon3/the-complet...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
2D Zelda-Style Games - Crusader of Centy (Genesis), Anything else?
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, 8-Bit Xmas 08-09, Bust a Nut LE, Slappin Bitches LE, Blade Buster (with save)

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:21:59 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: thesubcon3

So I just played it, super interesting aspects with the two firing types. Perhaps add a little sound when you fire and when you successfully hit an enemy? That way you know when you are using the correct weapon.

Thanks.

I get your point. However, the market is already pretty floaded with highly polished homebrew, and other awesome ones will be out soon. I enjoy to be part of such developing teams when asked to, but I would never put on my shoulders the responsability of such big projects. Moreover, I don't wish to be a competitor.

This is a completely different approach. I do something minimal, ie. the minimum effort required to allow people to enjoy a game concept I have in mind, I offer it for free to play to all on ROM, keeping for myself all rights on its distribution and commercialization, and plan on releasing few numbered carts for people showing interest (after playing it) about getting one.

In such way budget wise (front pay to print and ship few labels and manuals is definitely affordable) even a very minimal budget would cover the costs, and work wise the project does not cost a too big effort to be made by a single person (still, it is past 7:00AM on a Saturday morning here, and I'm still awake to write in proper English and format the paper manual for print).

This approach is of course just an experiment. However, things such as enjoy the game design time itself avoiding unnecessary complexity in the code, or one more player (like you) playing the game and sharing an opinion about it, does definitely have some value to me.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to read that you enjoyed the concept!

Cheers!

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:28:59 AM
hybrid (41)
(jeff .) < El Ripper >
Virginia
Infinite Lives
SXXGSPVG
Infinite Bombs
SXKKIYVG

neat little game

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:37:36 AM
SUBSCRIBER
thesubcon3 (147)
Maryland
Originally posted by: user

Thanks.

I get your point. However, the market is already pretty floaded with highly polished homebrew, and other awesome ones will be out soon. I enjoy to be part of such developing teams when asked to, but I would never put on my shoulders the responsability of such big projects. Moreover, I don't wish to be a competitor.

This is a completely different approach. I do something minimal, ie. the minimum effort required to allow people to enjoy a game concept I have in mind, I offer it for free to play to all on ROM, keeping for myself all rights on its distribution and commercialization, and plan on releasing few numbered carts for people showing interest (after playing it) about getting one.

In such way budget wise (front pay to print and ship few labels and manuals is definitely affordable) even a very minimal budget would cover the costs, and work wise the project does not cost a too big effort to be made by a single person (still, it is past 7:00AM on a Saturday morning here, and I'm still awake to write in proper English and format the paper manual for print).

This approach is of course just an experiment. However, things such as enjoy the game design time itself avoiding unnecessary complexity in the code, or one more player (like you) playing the game and sharing an opinion about it, does definitely have some value to me.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to read that you enjoyed the concept!

Cheers!

I was basically giving feedback about how it plays on actual hardware. Another one would be to add a high score system to add a competitive aspect. Kind of like how 8bit Xmas dos it this year. 

www.hagensalley.com

NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, 8-Bit Xmas 08-09, Bust a Nut LE, Slappin Bitches LE, Blade Buster (with save)

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:02:14 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

I was basically giving feedback about how it plays on actual hardware. Another one would be to add a high score system to add a competitive aspect. Kind of like how 8bit Xmas dos it this year.

Great!

So, how do you wish to be credited for?
- thesubcon3
- Jeffrey Wittenhagen
- Jeffrey "thesubcon3" Wittenhagen
- other (specify please)

Thanks!

Edit:

@all: if you try out the game in real hadware, please point it out, and add a note about the way you wish to be credited for. I will add credits in manual for real hardware testing up to when I'm done with the manual (ie. few days only).

Thank you!

Edited: 12/12/2015 at 12:05 PM by user

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:31:52 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
In answer to PMs offering constructive criticism about how to improve the game:

Thank you for playing the game!

I honestly appreciate the time you spend to provide your feedback.
However, you are comparing a Smart to a Ferrari F40: this game, as already pointed out, it is not a competitor to existing more complex games, it is just an hobbyist minimal project offered to all for free.

Cheers!

Uhm... I'm going to add FAQ section in the opening post.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:07:48 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
New York
Works just fine on powerpak. Reminds me of a built in mini game in some larger game. Very fun.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:11:25 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Mog

Works just fine on powerpak. Reminds me of a built in mini game in some larger game. Very fun.
Great. I'll add Mog to the credits!

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:45:08 PM
SUBSCRIBER
thesubcon3 (147)
Maryland

Great!

So, how do you wish to be credited for?
- thesubcon3
- Jeffrey Wittenhagen
- Jeffrey "thesubcon3" Wittenhagen
- other (specify please)

Thanks!

Edit:

@all: if you try out the game in real hadware, please point it out, and add a note about the way you wish to be credited for. I will add credits in manual for real hardware testing up to when I'm done with the manual (ie. few days only).

Thank you!

My name is fine. I will supply more feedback when I can.

www.hagensalley.com

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:58:04 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

My name is fine. I will supply more feedback when I can.

Done!

Thanks!

Edited: 01/05/2016 at 05:30 AM by user

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:42:36 PM
SUBSCRIBER
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Good work, sir. I enjoy minimalism, and the atmosphere created by this one is enjoyable. I like the gameplay mechanic of having to use a different weapon for different enemies. I also enjoyed the short but effective music track.

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:17:30 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (151)
(Jason Fleck) < El Ripper >
Missouri

Originally posted by: NESMASTER14

Cool!

Good point! Whoever provides a bit of feedback (PM, email, post here, whatever) about how it plays on real hardware, gets his/her name (or nickmane) in the manual special thanks section..

Thank You!

Got friends coming over tonight. We will offer our thoughts for sure, Jack!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:27:55 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: GradualGames

Good work, sir. I enjoy minimalism, and the atmosphere created by this one is enjoyable. I like the gameplay mechanic of having to use a different weapon for different enemies. I also enjoyed the short but effective music track.
From the author of Owlia, this is a really nice acknowledgement!

(Bow)

I quoted it in the project page!

Originally posted by: Fleck586

Got friends coming over tonight. We will offer our thoughts for sure, Jack!

Cool! Nice to ear!

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:50:21 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (151)
Missouri
We all really enjoyed it, Jack! Its a fun shooter that we each took several turns playing on my Powerpak. I know that you are trying to keep it minimal, which I think actually adds to its charm. And you have stated that you would rather leave it that way. We approached it from that angle, but felt there were some very small additions that would add so much more to the experience.

Someone already mentioned a high score feature. The game is a lot of fun, but without some sort of goal, it feels like a grind. We instituted our own high score system and played to beat each other that way. It gave us something to do rather than just playing back and forth shooting for no reason. Our group high score was 76000 or so, but we all felt we wouldn't have even played it that long if we weren't trying to beat each others score.

Another would be that we noticed at some point we had earned extra lives. No one ever saw when that happened. A small sound effect or something telling you when that occurs would be beneficial and keep the player interested in trying to accomplish that task again.

We felt like there was more detail in the enemy attacks than there was in the enemies themselves. Maybe a few pixel color changes and a bit more detail would help delineate the enemies so the player could know when to use what attack. We found ourselves shooting one attack until all the enemies were of another type then switching until that occurred again. That took the strategy completely out of the game and dilluted the replay value in our minds.

I will certainly buy a cart when you release as you know I support your work. We all just felt these changes might help make a fun game into an even funner one. Thanks for sharing with us!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:36:15 AM
lancuster (0)
< Crack Trooper >
Wow! Nice job, man!

My NES hacks on Romhacking.net
>>Oldschool Beta-tester<< My latest ROM-hack. http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:14:40 PM
Gorillazero (51)
(Well That's Just Prime) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
It would be really cool if you added a youtube clip to the blog site, unless I'm missing it. I just see a GIF.

Bounty: Neo Geo Pocket and Color Games PAL/UK. Dive Alert, Pocket Reversi, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:52:22 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

We all really enjoyed it, Jack! Its a fun shooter that we each took several turns playing on my Powerpak. I know that you are trying to keep it minimal, which I think actually adds to its charm. And you have stated that you would rather leave it that way. We approached it from that angle, but felt there were some very small additions that would add so much more to the experience.

Someone already mentioned a high score feature. The game is a lot of fun, but without some sort of goal, it feels like a grind. We instituted our own high score system and played to beat each other that way. It gave us something to do rather than just playing back and forth shooting for no reason. Our group high score was 76000 or so, but we all felt we wouldn't have even played it that long if we weren't trying to beat each others score.

Another would be that we noticed at some point we had earned extra lives. No one ever saw when that happened. A small sound effect or something telling you when that occurs would be beneficial and keep the player interested in trying to accomplish that task again.

We felt like there was more detail in the enemy attacks than there was in the enemies themselves. Maybe a few pixel color changes and a bit more detail would help delineate the enemies so the player could know when to use what attack. We found ourselves shooting one attack until all the enemies were of another type then switching until that occurred again. That took the strategy completely out of the game and dilluted the replay value in our minds.

I will certainly buy a cart when you release as you know I support your work. We all just felt these changes might help make a fun game into an even funner one. Thanks for sharing with us!

Great, great feedback!

Good points, expected, which confirm the need for the manual I'm finally done with (I take no more spacial thanks requests for real hardware testing) except for the final text revision, right before printing it. I will also update the project page html manual beyond the enemy ships, to explain everything about the game play.

Everything will be explained in the manual, however I answered to the game goal and power up system also expanding the FAQ (see opening post) here above. Consider it an endurance game, it takes a while (about half hour) and pretty high concentration to be defeated. Pausing few times helps.

On the hi-score: this would not be time consuming to code, so I will chew a bit on the idea to have the best score displayed on the starting screen. Change the simple-clean starting screen layout design, to add a bunch of numbers, honestly it is not my will aesthetically wise, but I recognize that it would help people to keep track of their best scores.

On the enemy ships details and color, please consider NES limits. One subpalette (gray) is for the ships, one (blue and yellow) is for your first two weapons, one (orange red) is for enemy weapons, and one (green) is for the explosions. In such way, it is easy to recognize what is what on screen. Other content such as the status bar shares these color ramps, which are pretty much needed for both background and sprites. You ship has more detail (five colors) than the enemy ones because it overlaps two sprites in MegaMan style (the second using the orange red palette).

Originally posted by: lancuster

Wow! Nice job, man!

Thanks!

Originally posted by: Gorillazero

It would be really cool if you added a youtube clip to the blog site, unless I'm missing it. I just see a GIF.

In fact it is an animated gif, a format which I really like for this purpose (really light kB wise, no need for flash, ...).
Feel free to publish a clip about the game yourself, if you feel the need for it!

@all: I'm pondering to offer a free physical copy of the game to the first one who sends me a picture of the victory screen on his/her TV playing the game on real hardware.

Check out the project page in the next week to be updated on the matter, however make sure to take a picture of the victory screen if you finish up the game, so in case this will be possible you'll get the cart!

Thank you all!

Edit: misspelling.

Edited: 12/13/2015 at 12:55 PM by user

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:11:00 PM
SUBSCRIBER
zi (71)
(T Rags) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
bleh, tried to flash it over, can't cause of my chip! oh well, fun game!

8 Bit Music For The 21st Century

Edited: 12/13/2015 at 01:40 PM by zi

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:39:52 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Ok, manual done!

I published a pdf version preview of pages 1, 3, and 6 on the project web page.

This a detail of the Thank You section of it:

I published name and lastname of everyone I'm pretty sure (from the feedback received) is fine with his name associated to this game manual, and included anyone else providing feedback on the last line "NintendoAge and all its friendly members". I hope this solution is cheered by everyone. If you have issues with it, please point it out as soon as possible, before printing it.

The project is now ready to start proceeding with the production phase. In the following days I'll keep everyone showed interest into a physical release updated about it.
By the way, if you play it on real hardware (using PowerPak or similar) and TV, don't forget to take screen shots of your records on TV (see post my above)!

Thanks NA for all the support!

Cheers!

Edit: note that in the project webpage I will keep all nicknames (unless request otherwise) of people who provided feedback so far.

Edited: 12/13/2015 at 03:42 PM by user

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:53:37 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Fleck586 (151)
Missouri
Very cool! So there is an end to the game on the ROM? Now I gotta play some more...

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:51:58 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

Very cool! So there is an end to the game on the ROM? Now I gotta play some more...

Cool!

The game is more about endurance than skills, it takes a while. However, the more ships you destory (every 256 you destroy you raise your level) the more the next ones will show up sooner, which makes the game harder, but the score increase way quicker in the end game. Moreover, playing it now in a Power Pak, you are incentivate to finish it from the possibility to get a free cart: I'll be gifting few of the carts anyways, so why don't reward with one of them the first one able to defeat the game?

Ok, another evening and night spent on this project, but now the manual in html format is fully published on the project webpage. The text has been revised; however, if anyone spots some errors (or horrors) English wise which were not detected yet, corrections are appreciated, since the printed paper manual will share the same textual contents you see on line on the project page.

I'll soon update everyone interested on how the physical release will be distributed, I'm clearing out the last doubts on how to produce these carts. Please contact me if interested in a copy.

Thank you all.

Edited: 01/05/2016 at 05:31 AM by user

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:54:41 PM
SnoopKatt (13)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Fun game! Love the minimalist design and the music is pretty cool. I do wish there was a little more detail on the enemies and some more sound effects but otherwise I'm glad I downloaded it