Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Did I just score an authentic brand-new SNES Super Everdrive for $1.43?! Fleamarket find

May 16, 2016 at 12:36:52 AM
CZroe (25)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
https://imgur.com/a/V81Qn...

I went to the fleamarket early yesterday and saw an NES game on a table that was piled with DVDs. They were literal "piles" and weren't even stacked except where some curious people would semi-stack as they perused. As I looked for more NES games, a woman began dumping more milk-crates full of DVDs onto the table. Almost immediately I spotted an SNES cartridge and grabbed it. The moment I saw it, even before I grabbed it, I knew something was up: It was dark colored and had no label. It reminded me of the SNES cleaning kit but had no handgrip at the top and no snaps for opening it. Sure enough, it was secured with standard screws and designed like a standard cart, complete with a copied Nintendo logo on the back (the old locking style before they redesigned it to defeat the locks on earlier SNES consoles). Definitely NOT a Cleaning Kit!

It was sealed in shrinkwrap/cellophane (not stretchy stuff) and had a paper sticker on the outside about using reset to set the region for my SNES/SFC flash cart. It definitely had never been opened. I didn't even see the SD card slot or read the words "flash cart" before I had decided that I had to get it. I worried that the vendor would say "how did that get there?" To minimize the chances I started looking for more stuff to approach her with.

Out of hundreds and hundreds of DVDs I managed to pick out a few PS2/PS3 games, some BD movies, and a sealed Viewtiful Joe Vol 6 anime DVD before approaching her to inquire about the price. "Everything on the table is $2 or 7 for $10." I nearly had 7, so I dug some more and found a Genesis game, a GBA game, a GB game, and some more discs so I actually got 14 items for $20 ($1.428 each).

I went by another fleamarket vendor to gloat (check out my friend, Dylan, at Infinite Games at West GA Fleamarket). We bumped into each other earlier when he was combing the fleamarket for more stuff to take to his shop and he had already expressed disappointment that I wouldn't sell him my recently-acquired PS2 retail kiosk but now he was even more bummed that I beat him to that other vendor. It turns out that someone told him to check out her stand for some games and "a Viewtiful Joe DVD." It turns out that he's a huge VJ fan, so I gave him the VJ DVD I had as a consolation prize.

I checked the PCB and it is the V2.1 03.06.2013 PCB revision with all the Everdrive / krikzz.com markings. Unfortunately there's no DSP installed. Luckily, I can do that myself [Edit: done]. It said "Supe Everdrive" (missing "R") "SD card not found" when I booted it so I opened a brand new Class 6 8GB microSD HC card + SD adapter. I've had it sitting around since Class 6 8GB was the biggest/fastest available. It didn't like it, so I tried another 16GB card I had around in the same adapter. That worked great with the proper OS files so I checked the system info and got a serial number and assembly date/time with more of Krikzz's info.

My understanding is that the Chinese versions all say "China version" because Krikzz allowed a particular seller to clone them as long as they are Chinese-only and he doesn't have to do any support/updates. I see little reason to countefeit the PCB part if clones are allowed but I guess there can still be unauthorized and authorized clones. At the same time, StoneAgeGamer.com says that they are made to order, which means that a sealed one falling into the hands of someone who doesn't know what it is doesn't seem particularly likely. Also, the QC sticker doesn't seem like something there would be on a made-to-order product [Edit: Only the fully-assembled Stone Age Gamer version is made to order; the boards are still assembled in batches with QC checks; still, this is the SAG version]

Like I do with other suspect counterfeit parts I did a search for the 0EC2 serial number and I don't see any reports of anyone with the same serial.

So, what is this? Real? Counterfeit? Either way: It's no SD2SNES, but $1.43 is totally worth it! Never thought I'd find something like this from a vendor who didn't know what they had. Still confused about how it could possibly end up there sealed.

[Edit: The owner of SAG replied in a Facebook thread saying he believes it's real. Crazy luck!]

Edited: 08/21/2016 at 02:42 PM by CZroe

May 16, 2016 at 1:55:36 AM
dannyplante (60)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
Wow great find
i give you 2 $

May 16, 2016 at 3:32:45 AM
skinnygrinny (41)
(a.k.a. the grinder a.k.a. kobra kai! a.k.a. 42 foot tapewoRm) < King Solomon >
Florida
pretty cool

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

May 16, 2016 at 3:57:37 AM
Viper0hr (79)
(Ryan R) < Ridley Wrangler >
Florida
Yeah says right on the board, it's legit.

May 16, 2016 at 4:01:49 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
(Ay Jay Will-Yams) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Nice!

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

May 16, 2016 at 7:15:22 AM
CZroe (25)
Georgia
Originally posted by: Viper0hr

I just thought that since it's often sold board-only that they might counterfeit that stuff too but I'm happy either way. Seems weird that a commercial product would copy the Nintendo logo on the back of the shell since it could get him in trouble but that might be the reseller doing that.

May 16, 2016 at 8:49:43 AM
dr.robbie (174)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Awesome find. How does someone misplace an ED like that

Let's Go Penguins!

May 16, 2016 at 9:01:58 AM
Warbucks (5)
(Dan ) < Lolo Lord >
Florida
Awesome Find.. load that baby up and play all those expensive games

May 16, 2016 at 10:12:43 AM
fsped09 (227)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
I love seeing posts like this. Luck is a wonderful thing, nice find!

May 16, 2016 at 10:26:58 AM
ginoscope (18)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
That looks legit I own that same snes everdrive. The DSP chip is super easy to install.

Having trouble with your backlog?.  Check out my app "Beat that Game!"

https://play.google.com/store/app...

May 16, 2016 at 10:37:31 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Stryphos (265)
(Yamato Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
haha that's rad I've never heard of someone finding one of these this way but glad someone finally has!

Haves     |     Wants

May 16, 2016 at 4:15:53 PM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: ginoscope

That looks legit I own that same snes everdrive. The DSP chip is super easy to install.
I wouldn't call it "easy". You need to desolder it properly from the original PCB to install it. I recommend Ballz3D for the donor.

Or if you are super lazy, just put the PCB in a reflow oven at 375-400F until the chip drops (not recommended).

Edited: 05/16/2016 at 04:16 PM by Kosmic StarDust

May 16, 2016 at 4:19:21 PM
ginoscope (18)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

I wouldn't call it "easy". You need to desolder it properly from the original PCB to install it. I recommend Ballz3D for the donor.

Or if you are super lazy, just put the PCB in a reflow oven at 375-400F until the chip drops (not recommended).

This is true it's easy if you know how to solder and have the correct tools to desolder the DSP chip.  I did in fact use Ballz3D as my doner.  

Having trouble with your backlog?.  Check out my app "Beat that Game!"

https://play.google.com/store/app...

May 16, 2016 at 4:51:33 PM
CZroe (25)
Georgia
I seem to have game paks for most any DSP game I might want to play but convenience is incentive enough. I'll definitely be adding one!

I already ordered a $5 copy of Drift King Battle '94 because I didn't see any other DSP-1 or DSP-1A game on eBay for less. I could have used Pilotwings because I have several copies but I prefer not to destroy that. Not saying it's super easy but I have the tools I need for this and I've desoldered several of DIPs before so I can definitely handle it. Thanks!

Edited: 05/16/2016 at 05:03 PM by CZroe

May 16, 2016 at 4:52:12 PM
barrelsAndRivets (131)
< Bowser >
California
Very nice pickup, color me jealous

May 16, 2016 at 7:30:23 PM
PrinceOfBrains (4)
(Tim Allen) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Figures I'd see this thread right as I'm gearing up to order my own SNES Everdrive. Good find dude, I hope it serves you well!

https://videotron2000.wordpress.com/ - Video-Tron 2000: LASER-BLOG OF THE FUTURE!
Newest Post: Dreamcast GDEMU Video Review

May 17, 2016 at 12:55:40 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana

This is true it's easy if you know how to solder and have the correct tools to desolder the DSP chip.  I did in fact use Ballz3D as my doner.  
Desoldering DIP chips is always a pain in the ass, even with a proper desolder iron. You gotta take it slow...

Edited: 05/17/2016 at 12:56 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:16:06 PM
CZroe (25)
Georgia
Well, Ichinisan and I traded it off for an Ultra Everdrive 64 since we planned to buy an SD2SNES anyway, but I threw a DSP in there first and had my fill of Donkey Kong Country Competition Edition... first time I've played it on authentic hardware since I actually played in the competition!

I realize now that the shell is not a "copy" like I assumed earlier. It's just painted, and that paint flakes off! I also got Suzuka 8 Hours SFC and was torn between using that or Drift Kings '94 as a DSP donor. I didn't want to destroy Suzuka 8 Hours if I didn't have the USA version and I didn't want to destroy Drift Kings '94 because it was a Japanese exclusive, but I did finally settle on Drift Kings '94.

It was fun! I'm going to miss it until I get my SD2SNES.  

Edited: 08/12/2016 at 11:16 PM by CZroe

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:28:28 PM
TDIRunner (10)
< Lolo Lord >
Illinois

That by itself is not enough.  Lots of fake Everdrives have Krikzz's name on them.  With that said, I have no reason to believe it's fake from what you've shown and told us.  I would have warned you to check around a little more before inserting an SD card with Krikzz's OS on it.  Krikzz has designed most of his OS to brick the fake Everdrives.  So if yours is working with an OS on the SD card, you are probably good to go.  Nice find.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:42:54 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: CZroe

Well, Ichinisan and I traded it off for an Ultra Everdrive 64 since we planned to buy an SD2SNES anyway, but I threw a DSP in there first and had my fill of Donkey Kong Country Competition Edition... first time I've played it on authentic hardware since I actually played in the competition!

I realize now that the shell is not a "copy" like I assumed earlier. It's just painted, and that paint flakes off! I also got Suzuka 8 Hours SFC and was torn between using that or Drift Kings '94 as a DSP donor. I didn't want to destroy Suzuka 8 Hours if I didn't have the USA version and I didn't want to destroy Drift Kings '94 because it was a Japanese exclusive, but I did finally settle on Drift Kings '94.

FYI, DKCC doesn't use a DSP but nice that you threw one in. Mine is v2 with DSP1 soldered in. RIP Ballz3D. Oh well at least I can still play the Ballz3D donor on my Retro Freak.  

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:44:29 AM
CZroe (25)
Georgia

FYI, DKCC doesn't use a DSP but nice that you threw one in. Mine is v2 with DSP1 soldered in. RIP Ballz3D. Oh well at least I can still play the Ballz3D donor on my Retro Freak.  

Never thought it did, but thanks anyway.   I was just giving an update on two unrelated things I've done with it in the interim.

Edited: 08/13/2016 at 12:45 AM by CZroe

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:45:15 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

That by itself is not enough.  Lots of fake Everdrives have Krikzz's name on them.  With that said, I have no reason to believe it's fake from what you've shown and told us.  I would have warned you to check around a little more before inserting an SD card with Krikzz's OS on it.  Krikzz has designed most of his OS to brick the fake Everdrives.  So if yours is working with an OS on the SD card, you are probably good to go.  Nice find.
I don't think he's intentionally bricking people's fake Everdrives. It's just that the new firmware may make certain changes or access features that are incompatible with the fakes, and *POOF* or as Queen would say, "Another One Bites the Dust!"  

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:55:44 PM
CZroe (25)
Georgia
Confirmed by Ryan Cross (owner of Stone Age Gamer).

Edited: 08/21/2016 at 02:56 PM by CZroe

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:25:10 PM
CZroe (25)
Georgia
Guess I wasn't the only person to be so lucky:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/91...

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:49:56 AM
SUBSCRIBER
Kosmic StarDust (43)
Louisiana

Guess I wasn't the only person to be so lucky:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916396-super-nintendo/68828775
On the side of the road. Who'd of thought???