Skip navigation
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Thread re-used -- I got a 1CHIP SNES system, glitch games work?

May 6, 2013 at 1:16:49 PM
Tanooki (185)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I got super lucky here a few hours ago and nailed down a CIB in amazing lightly used shape Donkey Kong Super Set and well inside was a 1CHIP system.

Supposedly this thing will not play properly Pocky & Rocky and Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts.  Both get graphical problems in various ways.  All I could read is that this system will screw up those two titles.

I own them, I tried, them, they played great.

What's the deal?

I snapped two pics of the notable chips on the board, was there a version within a version of this thing or did I find some oddball that just wants to play nice with the kids?

photo 1chip1_zpsf9e68581.jpg

photo 1chip2_zpsc5767cb0.jpg

Edited: 05/12/2013 at 01:53 AM by Tanooki

May 6, 2013 at 1:50:27 PM
Rongolian (46)
(Clark Seal) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: Tanooki

On another site the SNES came up and details about the guts of it and it appears there's multiple chipsets for the system in the original model.  As time went along they improved, earlier units had a vertical line in the screen when the video was black and you'd get some ghosting and some lack of clarity with audio and visuals.

Supposedly in 1995 with the KI box set came the 1CHIP chipset internally on the system.  This one is the best model of the system, a yet later revision appeared here which was inferior but due to the board and refinements on the model 2 unit has the best overall a/v quality.

I'd like to track down the 1CHIP model to have something to go with my boxed set with a very yellowed deck.  Is there a way without tearing it down to know which you have?

The third post in this thread here breaks the revisions down.
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?38581-Be...

Do all Mini's have the 1chip in them?

May 6, 2013 at 1:59:56 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Note that the vertical line is not guaranteed to be eliminated with any revision, nor method of output.

Interesting how this topic is popular lately. The recent discovery that the 1chip system glitch out Pocky & Rocky (as well as Ghouls & Ghosts, which was already noted) was intriguing. I'd avoid 1chip due to this.

The only method I have found to detect later revisions is to peek in the cart slot. Later revisions have black plastic on the PCB at each side of the connector, which is just barely visible. Look at the following image. The black plastic with screws on each side of the cart slot. That part is silver on early models. This doesnt guarantee a 1chip, though. 
http://i.imgur.com/I8F46.jpg...

I've read that thread before, but I never noticed the post complaining of ghosting. I thought I was alone with this. The SNES model 2 has distinct ghosting a bit to the right of any image against a bright background. Most noticeable with SMW and Yoshi's Island. Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. That combined with the vertical line being even more prominent than on my O.G. SNES, I put the model 2 away for good. 

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Edited: 05/06/2013 at 02:10 PM by Zing

May 6, 2013 at 2:46:55 PM
RetroSauce (175)
(Andrew Sauce) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
I always wondered why I couldn't play Pocky and Rocky on my SNES model1. I guess I have a 1chip? Is there any way to tell without opening up the system?

May 6, 2013 at 2:56:26 PM
Ouendan (1)
(Go play Gun Nac right now!!) < Lolo Lord >
California
Originally posted by: RetroSauce

I always wondered why I couldn't play Pocky and Rocky on my SNES model1. I guess I have a 1chip? Is there any way to tell without opening up the system?
Have you been able to get the Pocky & Rocky to play on another system?

May 6, 2013 at 3:06:48 PM
RetroSauce (175)
(Andrew Sauce) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
Yeah. It's been a couple years since I've tried, but there was always one system I couldn't get pocky and rocky to work on. It might have been my model 2 actually.

May 6, 2013 at 4:12:17 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
I only have the model 2 and I have no idea what anyone is talking about Pocky and Rocky failing. I've never finished it but done most the stages and just redid the first two and not a glitch in sight.

The whole thing is just confusing now as to what works and not and which is the best to have I guess. I wish someone would figure it out, but if 1CHIP is in the Model2 and it shouldn't run pocky and rocky why can I? I don't remember it squirreling out on Super GnG either which I also have.

May 7, 2013 at 7:22:46 AM
j1eazy (63)
(Michael NESmith) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I've been trying to figure all of this out for some time now. This was my original thread here (NA) concerning the issue:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

What is art?  Are we art?  Is art art? - L. Turtle

May 7, 2013 at 7:28:51 AM
theclaw (52)
(Lum Yatsura) < El Ripper >
Washington
Originally posted by: Tanooki

I only have the model 2 and I have no idea what anyone is talking about Pocky and Rocky failing. I've never finished it but done most the stages and just redid the first two and not a glitch in sight.

The whole thing is just confusing now as to what works and not and which is the best to have I guess. I wish someone would figure it out, but if 1CHIP is in the Model2 and it shouldn't run pocky and rocky why can I? I don't remember it squirreling out on Super GnG either which I also have.

model 2 is a different board than 1CHIP. It has further changes. integrated controller ports, disconnected RGB & svideo...

Desu no kawaii!

May 7, 2013 at 2:12:46 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Thats interesting, but are there more than one model2 board revisions or are there more than one release of the Super GnG and Pocky & Rocky carts as mine work fine on the model 2.

May 7, 2013 at 3:56:41 PM
theclaw (52)
(Lum Yatsura) < El Ripper >
Washington
Not that I'm aware of right now. Haven't looked into it.
Another big thing is model2 I believe never released PAL, don't see a 50hz mod guide either (if possible there's very very little interest in NTSC regions).

Desu no kawaii!

May 12, 2013 at 1:54:25 AM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
I've updated this thread from this point forward. I got one of those 1CHIP systems now and I can't figure out why (happy though) but it runs games that should glitch.

May 12, 2013 at 4:09:47 AM
removed04092017 (0)
< Bowser >
Other
Sure it's not the 1-chips? Early SNES systems had a HDMA glitch that some games messed up on. The SNES "Simba" should show which revision you have I believe.

May 12, 2013 at 11:04:10 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
I don't have a power pak. But what I do have are those pics and that's it. If I absolutely had to I could re-open the system but I'd rather not.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:18:56 PM
j1eazy (63)
(Michael NESmith) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I wanted to bump this and let folks know I recently came across another 1-CHIP SNES this weekend. To my surprise (this would be my 4th 1-CHIP I've tested), both Pocky & Rocky and Super Ghouls & Ghosts worked like a charm! No garbled graphics and no glitches. So I don't know about the other 1-CHIP's I had tested. Very strange that some of them work and some don't? Has anyone else recently come across any problems with the 1-CHIP not working the said games?

What is art?  Are we art?  Is art art? - L. Turtle

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:32:46 PM
Tanooki (185)
Kentucky
Is it 100% entirely? I think I recall that on the far left and right edges about an inch or so of view area there's like a minor visual distortion where it seems like the screen scrolls or something at a different pace? I can recheck mine again to be certain and detail it better. Either way they work, and most 1chip supposedly don't. We're lucky.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:41:25 PM
marvelus10 (46)
( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
I finally got myself a 1-CHIP-01 Super Famicom console after reading for so long how they have better picture quality. I can only use S-video as I don't have an RGB compatible CRT and recently my Component modded Super Famicom's video encoder shit the bed, so I was a little skeptical as to how much of an improvement I would get. Needless to say I'm pretty impressed of the difference, I'm really happy I got a 1-CHIP I'm confident in saying it looks better than my component modded SFC.
So I tried a few things I had read about, first the shadow in Air Strike Patrol is almost non existent as observed by many, second was to try Ghouls and Ghosts, from what little I played there was no issues, third was to look for the dreaded vertical bar, I've seen it before with many SNES console but not this time, and forth I tried Pocky and Rocky with no issues.